PDA

View Full Version : Opportunities for wife to work?

Dehavillandman
29th Jan 2007, 00:36
needs to finish PhD, hoping to do it somewhere in the middle east, anyone know of opportunities or best locations to try for the little woman? Any and all help is appreciated!
Cheers
D

Wiley
29th Jan 2007, 05:24
A little more info might help. What's her PHd in?

- Applied basket weaving?
- Nuclear Physics?

Wives with some sort of qualification usually have little difficulty finding work in the UAE. However, most Western women are a little surprised at how low the wages are for most positions.

If your wife is looking for something on the staff at a university, there are many such institutions in and near Dubai, some of them remote campuses for well-known Western universities.

Crinklstein
31st Jan 2007, 06:49
If you or your wife become UAE residents then you both are entitled to work here in the UAE. Your Sponsorship will come form the company that employs you and your wife's sponsorship will come from you or directly from the company that employs her.

There are always opportunities for various forms of employment here but one needs to look around a bit. There are many new schools or university positions opening up so maybe you could inquire there. The hardest decision to make is deciding to move, or to stay exactly where you are. Once you have made the decision to move, the rest will follow quite naturally.

Dubai is a great place to live and work, but realize of course if you haven't been to the mid-east that it is 'the middle-east' and not downtown London, or Sydney or the US or Europe. So you must remind yourself not to compare apples and dates. The secret to being happy here: You need to make it your home away from home - spend money, enjoy yourself while saving a bit too. One needs a balanced life and so as long as you balance this well, you will find that it is actually a place with a lot of positives and potential.

Good Luck.

:yuk:

ShockWave
6th Feb 2007, 03:42
There are a variety of universities here in Dubai, western and others. Most are Dubai branches of larger international Uni's. Do a search for universities in Dubai and then check whats on offer. If they don't offer what you need here then their main campus might and you could then complete your study via distance learning, on-line databases etc.

sf340driver
6th Feb 2007, 12:39
My wife is a Physician in the states, I'm thinking about applying to Qatar Airways, Emirates, and Etihad. IF I get an offer, Will my wife be able to find work as a Physician in DOH, AUH or DBX?? any info is greatly appreciated.

Eldin
6th Feb 2007, 12:43
The spouses of some pilots work in Dubai as physicians; usually in the (company) Emirates Clinic.

The process of getting accredited as a physician may take several months though.

Hope that helps.

trikko
6th Feb 2007, 13:18
Well i dont know if she will be able to get the job immediately but since she has an american medical license she does not require to appear for an exam to get the local medical license in the Gulf.........Everywhere in the gulf they accept American medical degree provided she had completed her residency program in US. I believe your wife is MD so she does not require to give the local exam for the license.

As far as jobs are concern, there are lot of job opportunities in UAE Qatar and in the gulf but then she have to look around and submit her Resume in different hospitals and if she is lucky then the package they get is far better than what you will get from the airline. Most of the hospitals provide free accommodation or housing Allowance, Kids Education, Insurance and free travel too.

Lot of new hospitals and medical universities are coming up in this region so i believe she wont have any difficulties finding a job

best of luck

cheers

coffindodger
6th Feb 2007, 13:29
hi please have a look at this link its a listing for medical jobs in the middle east not just the uae.
http://www.naukrigulf.com/ni/nijobsearch/job_search.php?page_2=2&farea[]=20&exp=&criteria=all&phrase=&sortsource=relevance&location=&searchtype=browsecat_page&viewdetailed=1&alljobsurl=&fresh=&source=&searchloc=qshomepage&caturl=1&labeltoshow=Medical%20Professional%20/%20Healthcare&conmnj=#

also ek are looking for a doctor for there clinic at this moment in time its on there web site.