PDA

View Full Version : ICAO

louxoo
28th Jan 2007, 18:34
Hello,
I didnt find exactly what I want or maybe I don't really understand but the "ICAO class 1"..is it the Anglo-saxon class 1 or the european class 1 or what? I think that with my -1.75/-.150 dioptry and 0.5/0.25 astigmatism, my sight is not a problem for the ICAO class 1 but I'd like to be sure that I'm not reading wrong critieria.
Thank you for this information about those medical classes and sorry if it was said in another topic, I didn't find THIS information.
Nice flights!

Flyin'Dutch'
3rd Feb 2007, 06:58
No problem from a correction point of view.

Bealzebub
3rd Feb 2007, 13:29
Medical standards are set by each country or group of countries that should meet or exceed the minima set down by the ICAO. Just as there is no such thing as an ICAO licence, there is also no such thing as an ICAO medical certificate.

The ICAO website states that :

What are the visual requirements for commercial pilots?
There is no dioptre limit for medical certification of any Class; only visual performance needs to be considered. Distant visual acuity with or without correction shall be 6/9 (20/30) or better in each eye separately, and binocular visual acuity shall be 6/6 (20/20) or better. No limits apply to uncorrected visual acuity. In cases where the uncorrected visual acuity is worse than 6/60 (20/200), a full ophthalmic examination is required, the purpose of which is (1) to ascertain normal visual performance, and (2) to identify any significant pathology.

The regulations permit the use of contact lenses, and applicants who have undergone refractive surgery such as keratotomy, LASIK, etc. may be assessed as fit if they are "free from those sequelae which are likely to interfere with the safe exercise of their licence."

Some States, notably those in Europe, and some airlines, have more stringent requirements.

It is recommended that prospective applicants contact (a) the national Licensing Authority and (b) the medical director of the airline to which they intend to apply for training or employment, to ensure they are aware of any medical requirements.