PDA

View Full Version : Heli Expo info??

MrEdd
28th Jan 2007, 07:19
Hi lads and gals.

I´m in the process of preparing a speach about heli expo 2007.
To my suprise so is there hard to find info about it.
Thought it would be tons of info every where.
I have checked the official hompage and HAI homepage to.
But almost the all those are stating is were and when info

Read an article in rotor but othervise i haven´t found much to hang in the christmas tree.

Anyone got anything on where i can find more info?

The best tip will be awarded with a cold one in the bar;)

C u other rotors at the expo.

Cyclic Hotline
28th Jan 2007, 15:03
What specifically are you trying to find?

Reasons to warrant attendance?;)

MrEdd
28th Jan 2007, 15:09
What specifically are you trying to find?

Reasons to warrant attendance?;)

He he he na no problem in that area:ok:

General information, trying to focus on the Job fair part.
About it being a grate opportunity to shake hands, pull buisness cards and make connetions. Specially for us FNG´s that are just coming out.

Cyclic Hotline
28th Jan 2007, 23:24
The HAI is probably the greatest cheap networking location for the entire helicopter industry. Although there may be equally, or even better, regional events, the sheer volume of people, companies and businesses represented is without equal anywhere or at any time.

If you are going looking for a job, dress like you would if you were going to an interview. There is nothing wrong with going to the HAI in jeans or shorts or whatever, but if you want to take the opportunity to talk to individuals who might recommend you within their own organization, take the time to look the part. You don't need to go over the top, just smart and groomed. You are going to do a lot of walking - wear approriate footwear!

Take plenty of business cards with you. People don't want to drag a bunch of paperwork or resumes with them for the duration of the show. Cards go in the pocket and are easier to retrieve and circulate to those who need to contact you. Likewise always try and get a card from the person you are talking to. You will need resumes at the job-fair, keep a couple of extras with you, just in case.

If there is a specific geographic location or area of the business that interests you, go to the committee meetings that deal with those areas. You may pick up all kinds of information at them plus who knows who you might meet. Likewise, technical committee meetings will put you in the same location as the operators and manufacturers of the specific types and areas of operation that interest you.

On the floor, the show is great entertainment, if only just for all the things you will only get to see in real life there. Stop and say hello to operators or businesses that are located in your area, it is remarkable what connections can be made and doors opened, just from a few brief words.

HAI had a mentoring programme running, but I am not sure of its current status. I believe this is a very valuable programme and should be encouraged - if it is running, take full advantage of it. My mentors in my early career were many and varied. All remain highly respected and valued friends to this day - the HAI is where I will meet up with many of them from one year to the next.

The business is currently booming and opportunities are many and varied. This doesn't neccesarily reflect when you are trying to break into the business, but it may go a long way to an accelerated rise through the various career paths if you can make some good contacts and you are good at what you do, reliable and motivated.

There is a great amount of entertainment to be enjoyed for the duration of this event. Go and have fun, but pace yourself to maximise the results of being there - don't end up as one of the stumbling drunks that the place is full of (save that for the later years once you have a job ;) ), but use it as a career enhancing opportunity. Go with a plan and written schedule of your events - these are going to be long days. Look through the schedule of meetings and forums and attend those that are of interest. If there are clashes, catch the ending of as many as possible. In the spill out after the meetings is where most of what is happening occurs, there is a veritable Who's Who of the industry in those hallways. Respect that people are sometimes actually conducting business and may not be able to talk, so be cautious in interupting them.

The helicopter industry is full of great individuals - it is comprised entirely of people, not machines. More business and hiring is done as a result of word of mouth personal connections, than any advertising or organized recruitment. Never underestimate the value of each and every contact you might make there.

Have fun. :ok:

MrEdd
29th Jan 2007, 00:22
Thanks for the effort and the well written information and advises.
I´m for sure gonna do what i can to pull cards and take names.
After all is not what u know is who you know.

Funny your text sounded similare to the short speach im writing.:)

U just earned yourself a cold one and a chaser to for that.:ok:

Again thanks appriciate that. / MrEdd

mikelimapapa
29th Jan 2007, 15:29
Cyclic,

As a new cfi looking for the coveted first job, your post was very helpful and informative. Thanks for taking the time to do that, it is appreciated. :ok:

md 600 driver
30th Jan 2007, 20:36
see you there 3 of us from yorkshire uk anyone up for a miller

Cyclic Hotline
25th Feb 2007, 16:40
Maintenance Techs' Mentoring Program
Orange County Convention Center
Room: W330 C
Thursday, March 1 1:00p.m. - 2:00 p.m.

A panel of top industry experts will share their experiences and expertise with students considering a career as a maintenance technician, those already attending or just completing training, or maintenance technicians looking to pick up valuable information from seasoned professionals. There will be plenty of time for questions and answers. In addition, the panel has agreed to donate some time to answer questions submitted to HAI Staff Liaison Libby Meade all during the coming year.

Pilots' Mentoring Program
Orange County Convention Center
Room: W330 A/B
Thursday, March 1 1:00p.m. - 2:00 p.m.

A panel of top industry experts will share their experiences and expertise with students considering a career as a helicopter pilot, those already attending or just completing flight school, or pilots looking to pick up valuable information from seasoned professionals. There will be plenty of time for questions and answers. In addition, the panel has agreed to donate some time to answer questions submitted to HAI Staff Liaison Libby Meade all during the coming year.