PDA

View Full Version : Australia or Europe

Jane Doe
27th Jan 2007, 17:47
Hi,

I've been offered a position and pls can I have some info on the pro's and con's of Europe base V Australia base. I have heard that the tax man will get me in Australia making the pay utterely miserable. Love some feedback. In addition, what is the rostering like in each country and which aircraft would I expect to fly, say if flying from Paris or flying from Melbourne. Would I be at home more with my family in one base or the other?
Look forward to hearing from you all!:)

404 Titan
27th Jan 2007, 23:38
Jane Doe

Wrong forum dude or dudet. I suggest you repost on Dunnunda & Godzone. Also before you repost I suggest you be a little more specific, i.e. which airline in Aus etc.

Soulman
27th Jan 2007, 23:46
I'll take a punt and say she's been offered a position with CX and a basing in either Europe or Australia? :confused: :confused: :confused:

404 Titan
27th Jan 2007, 23:54
Soulman

In which case she needs to say that. If indeed she has been offered a base in Melbourne on the freighter then she needs to know she’ll need to be a resident of Aus as CX won’t sponsor her there. Does she have the right to live in Aus?

Kane Toed
28th Jan 2007, 03:05
Perhaps SYD or AMS on the 'bus? Still need to be an Aus resident for the SYD base tho'.

Don't see why the European tax man will be any nicer than the ATO can you? Can't imagine either of them know their fathers...

404 - no further Oz basings on the freighter. The classic base closes in June, and there are no plans to put a -400F base there at this time.

sizematters
28th Jan 2007, 07:28
-400F is slated to op to Oz from July 07

Kane Toed
28th Jan 2007, 11:24
-400F is slated to op to Oz from July 07Agreed, but no -400 freighter basing is planned for Oz at this time.

Apologies for the thread drift! Where is Jane Doe btw...?

sizematters
28th Jan 2007, 11:26
Back in the kitchen, maybe ???

Jane Doe
28th Jan 2007, 12:22
She's in the garage fixing her car, dude....

Yes, silly detail really, talking about CX.

So after all that delightfully entertaining guff do they need freighter pilots in Aus or not?

Also it goes without question that I'm a dual citizen of Aus and Europe.

sizematters
28th Jan 2007, 12:26
the only freighter pilots in Aus are on the Classic and I'm pretty sure there are no vacancies, however why not phone the nice people in Flight Deck recruitment and they can give you something this forum can't FACTS......

anyway, what you cooking ???

(If you are fixing the car you can always give me a tune up when you've finished OK)

Jane Doe
28th Jan 2007, 12:48
I'm cooking up a storm... I'd love to tune your car but having my bikini waxed later...no time.

As for information on conditions in Europe... anyone with any details on freighter rosters, base availability, type etc...

Kane Toed
28th Jan 2007, 14:08
Why does your bikini need waxing? Weird. Never had to do that to my swimmers.

No freighter posts in Oz Jane, they are closing the classic base soon. There are however plenty of DEFO slots on the 'bus. Details are on the CX site. You could take either a SYD or an AMS base if you wish - should you wish to live in Europe (:confused: ). Hope that's finally some help.

Jane Doe
28th Jan 2007, 14:12
Thanks Kane Toad. Why AMS? What's your viewpoint on Paris?

Kane Toed
28th Jan 2007, 14:25
Why AMS? What's your viewpoint on Paris?Sorry, didn't make that clear. AMS is the base for DEFO on the pax fleet, Paris is one of the European freighter bases (the others being FRA, LHR, and MAN). Both Pax and freighter bases are available, depends if you want to join the Airbus fleet on the passenger terms and conditions or the freighter, on theirs.

For further information, Paris used to be a classic base but it is about to go -400 I think, but I'll possibly be corrected on that one.

Jane Doe
28th Jan 2007, 14:31
OK, I'm getting the picture. I'm talking about freighter not PAX.

Can anyone confirm that Paris is going 400?????????

Thanks!

Jane Doe
28th Jan 2007, 18:14
Mini Cooper! Thank you for so much information! I really appreciate it. It's hard when your life is about to change and you don't have any tangible info to base decisions on. You've been a great help.

404 Titan
28th Jan 2007, 22:39
Jane Doe

Do you have the right to live in Australia? I presume you do, but if you don't this is all accademic as you won't be able to be based there aren't.

dragon501
29th Jan 2007, 04:58
Read the earlier posts.... Dual nat Oz/Europe.. ;-) Or atleast the right of abode in both places...

404 Titan
29th Jan 2007, 11:21
Oops, missed that.

sizematters
29th Jan 2007, 11:39
since when did hong kong tax drop to 10% ??? you'll pay 16% hong kong tax, however depending on your DOJ you won't get a bill for 18-24 months...................UK Taxman is talking to CX at the moment thanks to the 49'r court case and they may well have to introduce PAYE in the next 2 years. France is apparently ok as long as you show them you are paying HK tax ...............................
Basing may well not be your choice ....................anyway the first 4-5 months will be in Hong Kong................enjoy the stay at the Headland and the CX Checking system..........................

asianeagle
29th Jan 2007, 14:06
[quote=Jane Doe;3092911]Hi,

I've been offered a position and pls can I have some info on the pro's and con's of Europe base V Australia base.

Pro's of a Europe Base = You're not living in Oz!
Pro's of an Oz base = You're not living in Europe!

Hope this helps:}

cpdude
29th Jan 2007, 15:45
since when did hong kong tax drop to 10% ??? you'll pay 16% hong kong tax, however depending on your DOJ you won't get a bill for 18-24 months...................UK Taxman is talking to CX at the moment thanks to the 49'r court case and they may well have to introduce PAYE in the next 2 years. France is apparently ok as long as you show them you are paying HK tax ...............................
Basing may well not be your choice ....................anyway the first 4-5 months will be in Hong Kong................enjoy the stay at the Headland and the CX Checking system..........................
Your analysis of the HK tax rate is technically correct but highly simplistic. As in any tax system, there are brackets and deductions.
In HK, a typical NJ will report approx 500K in salary/benefits. If they were single, they would pay about 65K in taxes which is 13%. Married with one child would reduce the tax bill to 39K or 7.8%. This was calculated without laundry, PF deduction or charitable donations which will all reduce your tax payable.
With a reported income of 1M HKD, the tax burden is 16% for singles and 13.4% for a married couple with 1 child.
Below are 2 links that will explain or calculate this for you.
http://www.ird.gov.hk/eng/tax/ind_tra.htm
http://www.ird.gov.hk/eng/ese/pa_comp_2006_07/pacfrm.htm

Jane Doe
29th Jan 2007, 18:55
Thanks everyone! As a first time ppruner I've enjoyed all your feedback. I totally understand that it's highly unlikely that I'll be given a choice of base but I just wanted to gather information in the event that it happens. In the meantime it's been a pleasure doing business with you!
Until next time...

SMOC
30th Jan 2007, 06:53
In case you don't know the PAX fleet and Freighter pay are not equal, so given the choice you should go for the PAX fleet, stable roster with higher pay.