PDA

View Full Version : Converting to an Australian licence from JAA ATPL

flyguy235
27th Jan 2007, 08:47
I am lucky enough to maybe have a way of getting a job in Australia. Currently i have JAA l ATPL licence - does anyone know what i would need to do to work in Australia?

Hobagoas
27th Jan 2007, 09:37
Have done so in 2006 myself.

1.You need to apply to CASA for an ARN (Aviation Reference Nr) as well as for an AUS ATPL based on a foreign ATPL. Costs +-300 AUD can't remember exactly.

2. With an ARN go to aslexam.com to book 3 exams.(Can'rt remember Costs per exam)

3. You need to first complete the AUS CIRX and CPL Law(A) theory exams

4. Only once you've passed CPL law will you be eligible to write the ATPL Law exam.

5. Once all three passed and AUS Class 1 medical in hand, you can complete a Command Instrument rating on a ME aircraft at any school with an ATO(Approved Testing officer)
Navaid:NDB will be part of the initial CIR

There is an oral exam as part of your CIR based on the Knowledge deficiency report given to you after the CIRX exam. (The ones you got wrong....)

You will need a complete set of the AUS AIP (incl DAPs East and West) Various AUS TAC & ERC charts as well as an up to date ERSA.
Try borrow an up-to date set, as buying it all is a very expensive option and the info is available on the net if you ever need it in future.

Good books to get are Instrument Study Guide form Bob Tait and use as many past papers/exams as you can get your hands on.

The CIRX was the most tricky part of it all. Open book but a lot of cross-referencing required.

Hope this helps
Hobagoas

bertie187
27th Jan 2007, 11:57
What is the CIRX?
Thanks

Hobagoas
27th Jan 2007, 14:08
CIRX is the Command Instrument Rating theory exam.
You need to pass it to do your Command Intrument Rating (in an aircraft) in order to attain an Aussie ATP.

The Aussie training syllabus is a bit unique in this regard as I haven't seen this type of knowledge requirement in Africa or Europe.

It forces you to understand the practical aspects of the AIP, flight planning, such as alternate planning, all aspects of IFR planning, MORAs MSAs, MDAs DAs, fuel planning etc, Met, Radio Aids, Flight and Duty regulations, Airlaw etc

It follows ICAO but with the odd Aussie twist here and there it can be very tricky.

Led Zep
27th Jan 2007, 15:16
CIRX=IREX. More people down here will know what you mean if you say, "IREX". :ok:

Hobagoas
27th Jan 2007, 15:28
Thats what it was: IREX. Thanks !! Memory fails me after 3 ATPLs! :O
But the process is the same.

flyguy235
27th Jan 2007, 23:37
Hobogoas - what were you flying in Europe and where/what are you doing now in OZ - how you finding it?