PDA

View Full Version : MAM Wannabees & Recruitment

bunchucker
27th Jan 2007, 02:43
Hello all

have an interview with MAM in Melbourne next month and would appreciate any advice, info etc.
Also would like to hear from anyone currently with MAM in Mel on the conditions, average hours/month, progression into full time position in mainline etc.

Thanks very much in advance :)

charlie_vb
27th Jan 2007, 06:30
Hey bunchucker,

I was wondering how you scored an interview in feb in melb???

I would also like to know conditions, destionations that the newbies get and pay.

Thanks heaps

x x

bunchucker
27th Jan 2007, 06:57
Hi charlie_vb,

have a few friends in MAM and they told me to go to mybookingmanager.com/mam
I also saw a big advertisement in mX (free Melbourne newspaper) advertising for Cabin Crew saying to go to that address.

Its been there for a couple of weeks since i applied so could be full.

Check it out though.

Good luck :)

bunchucker
1st Feb 2007, 01:25
So nobody here works for, or knows anyone at MAM MEL :{

wa.man
1st Feb 2007, 08:35
I am M.A.M Perth, not sure about Mel but think it would be similar. Firstly progression to full time...forget it, dont think it will ever happen. We work 100-120 hrs per month,20days flying.Pay is $27 something per hour plus close to $5 per hour D.T.A. Money not bad as I dont think I work that hard. With the current roster system you could end up anywhere the A330 and 767 go to. Could do up to a 6day trip[ although I have never had one]. Crew are great and I dont notice any difference in the way they treat me being M.A.M .However treatment from Qantas is very different. Dont think they have much regard for casuals.
Have heard that lots of casuals are resigning in MEL and SYD, not sure why. Hope this helps in some way...

koala1
1st Feb 2007, 18:27
1. they will check ur IDs, driver's licence, etc etc
2. measure ur height, take pics
3. group workshop ... scenarios, discussion
4. go for lunch, will txt u if u pass or fail
5. if pass, come back for individual interview
6. if pass, they will contact u for medical
7. if pass, police clearance
8. if pass, final mam decision to hire u or not.
9. dont expect a "yes" ....even after u paid for medicals etc etc

bunchucker
2nd Feb 2007, 22:14
thanks very much for the replies.

wa.man, I don't think QF have much regard for anyone do they? not even pax :{ :rolleyes:

flitegirl
3rd Feb 2007, 00:52
bunchucker, avoid making such generalisations. My passengers and fellow crew are my highest priorities. Why then do you want to be a Qantas flight attendant if you feel that way?

bunchucker
4th Feb 2007, 05:18
Whoa flitegirl, dismount that horse for a minute, I was replying to wa.mans comments about the company not the workers, and I felt the same as you in my previous 5 years with a QF susiduary.

flitegirl
4th Feb 2007, 07:25
not on any horse here. Simply making the point that we are the ones who look after the passengers. So your generalisation raises eyebrows:hmm:

awesome1
3rd Jul 2007, 12:25
I really would'nt waste your time!:ouch:

expect the unexpected!
Mam is the worst company to work for.
Training is absolute crap and so are the facilitators.....
everything is at your own expense
rate of pay duringTraining $12.00 per hour

want more info contact me

Grove
4th Jul 2007, 00:11
While I agree M.A.M is an awful company to work for, they really have no regard for there staff what so ever. I thought the training was spot on. I had great trainers who really knew what was going on.

I wouldnt reccommend M.A.M as an employer. Its a casual job as far as Qantas is concerned but a full time job with no benifits as far as the employee is concerned.

A short term prospect if you have nothing better to do...

A320 galleybitch
4th Jul 2007, 11:11
Bunchucker

Why not apply for Jetstar Dom or Int'l. Might not be as glamorous, but it is permanent. Money is pretty good, we have happy pax n crew. I work for dom, n everyday is just fantastic. Give it a go, you will be pleasantly suprised.

hiflying
5th Jul 2007, 07:09
Any word on when MAM will be recruiting again for BNE base?

DJCCGuy
7th Jul 2007, 02:35
I would be interested in knowing when MAM will be recruiting for BNE again as well.

Can anyone share some info about what it's really like working for MAM. Would it be crazy leaving a full time flying job to go to MAM. Do they get any travel benefits etc? And what type of job security do you have...can they put you off at anytime because you're essentially a 'casual?'

It would seem almost impossible these days to get into QF Mainline? Such a shame really.

Many thanks,

A320 galleybitch
7th Jul 2007, 07:56
About your only chance of getting in with QF mainline these days is through career progression through one of the QF subsidaries - ie Jetstar, QF link or Sunstate. They have only just released 5 positions to each company.

So the question is, how long have you got?????? Not how do you get into mainline. Sorry to burst any bubbles

EAAFA
7th Jul 2007, 08:48
A320 galleybitch,

It seems you didn't get the whole story. 20 positions have also been released to MAM (based on merit). I guess that means, MAM casuals will have to apply and attend interviews if they want full time positions in Perth.

smartalec888
7th Jul 2007, 09:29
DJCCGuy - If I were you I would keep with DJ (I assume your with DJ now), you have better job security, with MAM you are employed as a casual (yet guarenteed 85 flying hrs/month) yes there are allowances but from what I've heard your DJ allowances are alot better.

As for staff travel well that's non-existant. Staff travel is only offered to fulltimers are QF and their few and far between.

The only different could be better customers (being full service airline)... Yes your pay at MAM CAN be better than DJ at times but its not guarenteed and I've heard that it can be difficult to get finance as you're employed as a casual.

If i were you I would keep DJ for now... maybe look into Virgin Atlantic if you feel for a change.

casualvermin
10th Jul 2007, 02:26
This is a Qantas thread

gigs
10th Jul 2007, 05:28
1..mam is qantas, qantas is mam(with no staff benefits) 2.faaa represents all mam and qantas members.......question?????????who does no.2 work for? cheers gigs

A320 galleybitch
10th Jul 2007, 09:43
Isnt it obvious who #2 work for. They are there for their own personal progression. They usually end up as management or owning their own flight attendant employment agency!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dyal1
10th Sep 2007, 11:40
hey everyone

was wondering whether it is true mam will be recruiting next month in melbourne. If so does anyone have any application tips to get an invite??:confused:

thanks

sheet
3rd Oct 2007, 07:28
Not sure about MAM but have heard that Jetstar are recruiting for Sydney, Cairns, Melbourne and Newcastle. Also heard Perth and Darwin are being discussed.