PDA

View Full Version : Info about Skywest

OZBorn
26th Jan 2007, 06:00
I have recently moved to WA due spouse and after a gig at a regional airline over here. A mate has suggested Skywest but I know little about them. Can anyone fill in a few blanks to allow me to make a more educated decision.

1) What are they like to work for?
2) Do they employ to both seats or just as an F/O?
3) What's the current progression from F/O to CMD?
4) What is there rostering like?
5) Lastly, what's the pay like?

Please supply opinions based more on facts than emotive slander.

Cheers in advance

Hawk777
26th Jan 2007, 06:38
OZBorn,

You've asked for info based on facts but your first question "What are they like to work" cannot possibly be based on facts. Anyway:

1) As good as my last employer
2) F/O only - Fact
3) No fixed schedules
4) 28day roster 8-9days off per roster everything else pretty much as per the exemption.
5) 1st yr F/O $53,650 as per the CA plus allowances - Fact

bullamakanka
26th Jan 2007, 11:09
Too many hoops to jump through.... My educational qualifications were good enough for the rat, but still not good enough for sky west. Oh well their loss, and its great that the job scene for pilots has got to a point where we can say that!!!! Good luck to all in the new environment. bulla.

Mr.Buzzy
26th Jan 2007, 11:53
Would have been very different had you been a "Sandperson"

bbbbbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzzbbbbbbbbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

D'pirate
26th Jan 2007, 11:56
There are indeed serious "hoops" to jump through as they take the job seriously. An important factor in hiring though is how you will "fit in" at 5 am in the crew room - self important w@*kers need not apply. Pay is as good as anybodies in the regional sector. Progression has been very rapid of late (10-12 months) but it all depends on how long the music plays. There are some serious players from WA aviation at the helm but direction and focus from further north is somewhat confused. If you are a professional, live in the west, and have no chips on your shoulder- then time with Skywest will be well spent regardless. There are real plans to introduce larger jet equipment than the F100 (320/737), IF, viable (it is a big if). NJS is your other option, but beware bonds, B scales, etc. and possible loss of QF Link contract to QQ -who perhaps would also be another viable option but I believe they have fulfilled their requirements. Good luck with it all - at least Skywest is human (flaws and all)

Ralph the Bong
27th Jan 2007, 01:05
That's right D'Pirate,the self-important w@^kers that work there don't like competition!:8

I Know of some guys that had good experience who were employed by Skywest. By this, I mean 10,000 hrs +, significant jet time, training backgrounds; One guy was employed to bring Skywest kicking and screaming into the jet age... most have now left in disgust and are in good positions elsewhere.

A good mate approached the CP with a valid safety concern and was immediately labled a "self-important w@^ker" or something similar by the local legends. Man, has he got some horror stories! It was very pleasing to receive an e-mail recently that he now has a jet command and is doing well at another company.

OZBorn
27th Jan 2007, 04:14
Thanks all. What does a command seat pay. I ssume it would vary if you were flying F50 or 100. Do they bond or get you to front up with an endorsement fee ala NJS?

Hawk777
27th Jan 2007, 06:56
OZBORN,

Have a look at the wagenet website. It's got all the information your looking for re pay etc. No endorsement fee, just a training wage until checked to line. Usually 2-3 months later.

Cheers