PDA

View Full Version : QF withdrawing WLG-MEL / WLG-BNE Routes in favour of Jetstar

jetkiwi
25th Jan 2007, 20:55
Reported in the Herald today that QF are pulling out of WLG-MEL and WLG-BNE routes in favour of Jetstar, however they will maintain WLG-SYD under the QF Brand.... interesting...:eek:

yigy2
25th Jan 2007, 23:08
It would not surprise me if the whole Jetconnect operation is pulled in favour of DeathStar

Time will tell.............

mid assist
26th Jan 2007, 06:38
You will find that it's going to be operated by Jetconnect. They operate Jetstar services across the Tasman.

Going Boeing
26th Jan 2007, 06:56
It's always cheaper to crew trans Tasman ops with EnZed based crews because of the schedule times and the time zone difference - it avoids the cost of crew having to overnight. The wages in EnZed are usually lower as well.

kiwi grey
26th Jan 2007, 20:42
It's always cheaper to crew trans Tasman ops with EnZed based crews because of the schedule times and the time zone difference - it avoids the cost of crew having to overnight. The wages in EnZed are usually lower as well.

Cheaper perhaps, and fewer, I think.
I heard that NZCAA regulations require 1 cabin crew per 50 pax, CASA 1 per 40, so ZK registered aircraft of 733 size require 1 less crew member.
that adds up to lotsa $$$ saved.

Condition lever
26th Jan 2007, 20:56
You will find that it's going to be operated by Jetconnect. They operate Jetstar services across the Tasman.

Jetconnect do not, I repeat, do not operate Jetstar services across the Tasman.
Jetstar is at this stage only operating from CHC to the Eastern States, whether this is to change in the future I don't know. These flights are flown by CHC based Jetstar crews.

Cheaper perhaps, and fewer, I think.
I heard that NZCAA regulations require 1 cabin crew per 50 pax, CASA 1 per 40, so ZK registered aircraft of 733 size require 1 less crew member.
that adds up to lotsa $$$ saved.

Virgin has already applied to CASA for a waiver of the 1 in 40 to 1 in 50 and received this. Jetstar apparently will be utilising this waiver as of about March.

jetkiwi
26th Jan 2007, 21:20
Jetconnect do not, I repeat, do not operate Jetstar services across the Tasman.
Jetstar is at this stage only operating from CHC to the Eastern States, whether this is to change in the future I don't know. These flights are flown by CHC based Jetstar crews..

Jetconnect provide the Cabin Crew only for these flights, using Jetstar pilots

schlong hauler
26th Jan 2007, 22:37
Is there any truth in the rumour that the reason why mainline is operating more 737 services across the pond is due to significant crewing issues out of NZ. I heard that up to 30 pilots resigned from Jet Connect to go to Japan.

overhere
27th Jan 2007, 02:18
CASA is actually 1:36 not 1:40.

Virgin applied and were successful to specific gain approval to operate 737-800's with 4 cabin crew instead of 5, they did not receive a waiver on the 1:36 rule (so therefore can't operate a 737-700 with 3 crew as this would allow).

Never let the facts harm a good story though!

aerostatic
27th Jan 2007, 22:33
Is there any truth in the rumour that the reason why mainline is operating more 737 services across the pond is due to significant crewing issues out of NZ. I heard that up to 30 pilots resigned from Jet Connect to go to Japan.

Possibly a tiny exageration, by a factor of 10!

Mr.Buzzy
27th Jan 2007, 23:10
Expect a lot more of the same until the "rebranding" of JetStar back to Qantas.

bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzz

jetkiwi
28th Jan 2007, 21:48

yes quite a few, but not that many... Although recently mainline have been chartered in by Jetconnect to operate when their tech/cabin crew fall sick mid duty and are unable to operate back to NZ or when the aircraft falls over in OZ.

Dashim
30th Jan 2007, 02:15
Luckily this post is NOT acurate.
Latest info from inside the QF HQ is that Qantas is poised to ramp up Jetconnect as jetstar not performing well out of NZ and A320 aircraft required back in mainland OZ.

Jetconnect has now been given the approval to recruit heavily in anticipation of the anouncement. Command upgrades already underway and new F/O courses scheduled to commence shortly. They are so desperate for crew, they have even interviewed "The smuggler" but QF mainline said to disapprove... might be a "kick in the behind" coming for CP.

Pete Conrad
30th Jan 2007, 03:03
Dashim.........I heard the same thing, Jetstar loads are poor and not sufficient to warrent the A320's on the routes across the Tasman, not only that, the d!ckheads cant even get the A330 operation sorted out..A few of the chosen few have already quit to take more lucrative jobs in Asia....but as we all know, the reason QF put Jetstar across the Tasman was political in the first place......

EPIRB
30th Jan 2007, 14:12
Who is "The Smuggler"?

flyingins
31st Jan 2007, 01:43
"Dashim.........I heard the same thing, Jetstar loads are poor and not sufficient to warrent the A320's on the routes across the Tasman".

Unlike the QF 767 that does SYD-CHC return every day with fewer people in it than an A320 seats, I suppose (one of the good things about having to declare POB when requesting a pushback in NZ)?

CHC is one of the 3 most profitable bases in the JQ network, Conrad et al.

Good story though, keep up the baseless rambling. :ugh:

Veruka Salt
31st Jan 2007, 02:16
. . . well virtually every SYD-CHC or return that I did in the 767 (pre JQ days) carried upwards of 220 POB. :hmm:

. . . not to mention the belly freight. QF now sends a 767 SYD-AKL-CHC-SYD because the A320 doesn't have the capacity. Go figure.

rammel
31st Jan 2007, 08:24
The CHC-SYD sector is still full of freight and pretty full with pax too and often operates at MZFW. The freighter service SYD-AKL-CHC-SYD is also full every night between AKL-CHC and then to SYD. Alot of the freight on this has connections to other ports in Australia where QF used to operate, not JQ.

Pete Conrad
1st Feb 2007, 01:47
You want to get your facts right flyingins...that 767 you refer to gets repeatedly more pax than an A320 seats...but alas, you believe your own spin now....gotta keep that J* dream alive...ROFLMAO!!!!

Christchurch being the third most profitable route of J*???? Oh yes, that would be because like every other port J* serve, for the first 8 months your flights are full of transferred QF pax....plus as usual, your start up costs are absorbed by QF....I see now, yes, J* is the cash cow of QF....Yeah right!

Doors Off
1st Feb 2007, 10:08
I am not a fixed wing driver, never have been, never will! But I am a consumer who values my life. I regularly fly BNE-WGN rtu with Q. I am happy to pay the extra dollars for a lot of reasons, most importantly is that the quality of crew up the front is very highly paid! WHY? - Because they are very experienced (GA, Ex-Mil, Ex etc), have the best training and are bloody good. When the crap hits the fan, I want the best aviator up the front not the guy with enough of pappies money or in debt up to his eyeballs, worried about his next meal at home for his family, who paid for his sim time and interview. He/She will not be as good. My posterior is not for sale on the international stock market nor a commodity to be traded to enhance shareholders lattes. I will vote with my feet and fly with another airline. Jetstar can stick it.
How silly of their drivers and crews to bend to QF main demands. Yes they have a job, purely as an underpaid bus driver. Maybe they should have tried harder at school so that they could have the privilege of carrying the maximum amount of precious passengers under the best practice and be paid the correct amount of money. QF management does not deserve the protection of our government any longer. Maybe some of the bonuses they recieve should be rolled into dividends.:mad:

TopperHarley
1st Feb 2007, 10:40
Arent the jetstar guys out of NZ on more $$$ than the Jetconnect guys that operate your BNE-WLG that you love so much doors off ??

flyingins
1st Feb 2007, 12:55
Pete,
Sorry, mate. I keep forgetting that using facts in any discussion with you is a complete waste of time :yuk:. As for believing my own spin, I could very well accuse you of the same thing.

And so I will.

Doors Off, let me respond to the following three quotes;

1) "I am not a fixed wing driver, never have been, never will!"
You debase your argument from the outset. Commencing a tirade in this manner is a little like me saying to a Doctor; "I am not a surgeon, never have been, never will!" and then finding fault in his or her technique. What would I know? In this case, what would you know? Clearly very little.

2) "Because they are very experienced (GA, Ex-Mil, Ex etc), have the best training and are bloody good."
Not too sure how to best respond to this one. Where do you think Jetstar's pilots come from? It's a little difficult debating a point based on ignorance but once again, what would you know? Clearly very little.

3)"How silly of their drivers and crews to bend to QF main demands."
As TopperHarley correctly points out, Jetstar pilots are paid a good deal more money than their Jetconnect counterparts. Perhaps more to the point, how silly of "QF main" to fail to assist Jetstar's "drivers and crews" in their efforts to be paid more. After all, there are 2500 of them and at the time of the last EBA, there were 250 of us. But I diverge from the thrust of this post. What would you know? Clearly very little.

Basically, what I am trying to say is this. Doors off, until you actually have even the vaguest of ideas about what it is that you are talking about, be quiet.

There's a good lad.

Pete Conrad
1st Feb 2007, 18:40
flyingins....everybody knows how much you mob like to blow sunshine up yor own @rse...your efforts in securing the Tasman flying was found to be based on threats of "roll over your EBA or else" from the then boss when he was around........if you really think that you are in such a great position now your delusional.

Your mob have created so much bad blood in a once great company..and now it looks as though mainliners will be forced to accept J* terms and conditions when they are forced to join J* and stay flying in Australia or retire early and leave a great job.

Hang your head high buddy...keep those "facts" of yours coming, they are wrong anyway and indicative of a culture that has to believe their own spin to vindicate why they have so proudly gone out and created the wedge that was needed to divide and conquer.

cunninglinguist
1st Feb 2007, 21:54
I have come to the conclusion that Conrad is either on the board at QF ( how else would he know every single load factor, profit/loss, RPKs, etc etc ) or a complete :mad: wit.............................
i'm leaning toward the latter :=

Doors off, a no brainer you definitely are the latter.

And Conrad, for the record, I flew around with a white rat on my tail for 12 years and never once did we get any help, or offer of help, from our mainline " brothers ", so excuse me if I have no trouble sleeping at night.

Pete Conrad
1st Feb 2007, 23:56
Here's linguist....the one constant in an ever changing universe....nice to see your still recovering from your lobotomy and getting back at QF for your own percieved failings....great to see your using your new found position to finally stick it up the QF brothers like you always wanted.....keep the dream alive linguist, sleep well champ.....LMAO!!!!! Thanks for finally showing the comedian in yourself...........

By the way...your experience and comments are like your lower intestine linguist..stinking and loaded with danger.

flyingins
2nd Feb 2007, 00:14
It's a bit sad to see Conrad remove the value from his own argument through a combination of rage and vitriol.

The problem is that this type of discussion is indicative of what it's like trying to garner any co-operation or even assistance from AIPA. They start by ignoring your needs and then when they finally realise you've had to help yourself and all of a sudden THEY might be the target of a ruthless management, it suddenly becomes everybody else's fault.

"By the way...your experience and comments are like your lower intestine linguist..stinking and loaded with danger."

Charming, Pete.

Pete Conrad
2nd Feb 2007, 00:25
It's nice to be holier than thou flyingins isn't it?.......suggest you have a read of your own posts, then your mate cunninglinguists.....all I can say is the truth hurts you people.....then you revert back to the age old JPC argument of it being AIPA's fault.............well, at least Virgin drivers and QF shorthaul drivers know how to make a stand.

pogmothoin
2nd Feb 2007, 03:59
just what we need, more 'service' pulled from our services.... choices, choices... J* or Freedo... woops ANZ ... :rolleyes: