PDA

View Full Version : CX Oz Basing

Go Right Ahead
25th Jan 2007, 04:25
Hi all,
Can anyone shed some light on this for us? I have done a search but didnt come up with anything informative:ugh: Would like to know T&C and why the Oz boys in CX currently are not taking this position?:confused:
Any info on pay, taxes, minimum hours required for the position, what schedule to expect, rostered hours per month, how many days away from home, what are some standard patterns, allowances and anything I may have failed to mention? If anyone currently in this position, would appreciate some feedback....

Cheers :ok:

G R A

Elroy Jettson
25th Jan 2007, 11:16
Not sure that your info is correct. The guys that are leaving QF mainline positions to take these slots, say they are on about the same cash as a permanent pattern 76 FO.

Hope this helps.

Kane Toed
25th Jan 2007, 11:54
Guys are seriously leaving QF mainline to take a CX DEFO pax position in SYD?! Wow! :ooh:
Dixon must be more popular than I thought!

Go Right Ahead
25th Jan 2007, 13:23
EJ, thanks for the trouble but this doesnt really help as I dont know what the QF guys are on? One can assume those leaving QF are A330 drivers.

Rumours are EK guys are the ones who are applying for this position. If anyone would like to comment what the QF drivers are pulling in a month NET, please.

Anyway I keep checking and see if anyone else has any other information.

Veruka Salt
25th Jan 2007, 13:24
Yes, it's true. First one started with Cathay on Jan 2nd. His base pay is very similar to what he had as a 6th yr 767 F/O at Qantas, but the Cathay package is better overall.:ok:

Kane Toed
25th Jan 2007, 14:11
...and why the Oz boys in CX currently are not taking this position?Because we have to resign and be rehired - losing > 2 yrs of seniority and potentially making us junior to the new hire DEFOs based in SYD.

Go Right Ahead
25th Jan 2007, 14:35
Thanks KT, thats what I wanted to know and do you by any chance know how long to Command if one was to accept this basing. Im speaking strictly from an outsider joining CX not someone already in the company.

VS, cheers for the input, so I assume you dont need Airbus time then? Can you elaborate more on this better package please?

More to the point, judging by what you said VS, it sounds like the ideal job(for someone to leave QF 6yrs). However I am wondering if there is a catch to it. Like they say, if it sounds too good to be true, then it probably is.

Cheers guys, muchly appreciated

G R A

Go Right Ahead
26th Jan 2007, 06:03
Thanks DA, you are a legend.Hmmm interesting read indeed.Anyway thanks for that and will see what others have to say.

G R A

Kane Toed
26th Jan 2007, 06:16
...by any chance know how long to Command if one was to accept this basingUnder normal circumstances, probably around the 10 year mark. Saying that, we are flirting with a raise in the retirement age to 60. Needless to say, this would delay FO to CN progression AND, by the knock on effect, SO to FO. This'll delay things because of course you will have to wait for all the SOs who have joined before you to be offered a command before your number rises to the top.

As far as I can see, DEFO on the pax fleet is a good thing for anyone joining from outside. The only disadvantage is to those of us already in CX, as it will both delay our upgrade and certainly make getting a SYD base harder. Needless to say, neither of those things are a concern to new joiners. Good luck.

Go Right Ahead
27th Jan 2007, 04:42
The only disadvantage is to those of us already in CX, as it will both delay our upgrade and certainly make getting a SYD base harder.

Thanks again KT, good point you make there. Plus would not want to step on any toes, as eventually you will have to work together one day and dont want any bad blood, so to speak. But good feedback, specially about the 60yr limit. Surprise CX is still 55, whilst most airlines are 60 and looking to extend to 65.

Wouldnt mind hearing from those who are actually in the position, I mean who have already been released to line. I saw this advert in Flight International a long time ago, I can only assume CX have already hired and trained a bunch since.

Cheers

G R A

404 Titan
27th Jan 2007, 05:19
Go Right Ahead

No, none released to the line yet. I believe the first direct entry F/O on the pax fleet started training on the 4th January.

Veruka Salt
28th Jan 2007, 14:03
. . . 2nd Jan Titan :)

TAC inop.
1st Feb 2007, 09:10
Hi fellas
so what are the aircraft to be based in Oz, and where?
... any 777s?

Veruka Salt
1st Feb 2007, 09:25
The Oz based guys are all Airbus Pilots. The freighter guys in Mel + Syd fly the classic, although after June it's going to the 400 freighter.

tryhard
1st Feb 2007, 09:35
Heh KT,

Your replies seem to be so CX positive that I need to attend a "happy clappy" class. I don't share your enthusiasm and acceptace for DEFO's . Perhaps you are one of the lucky tools that entered Cathay in the early 90's with a handful of light twin hours and now finds oneself in charge of a big shiny jet. This I contend was during a period when the company was looking for low hour pilots to "exploit and expand" their wonderful operation. But please don't sprout your Gospel to the new comers as I would hope you would be the first to acknowledge that the ship 'is' sinking, things ain't the same as they used to be, the grass is greener(anywhere else) and everyone is trying to look on the bright side. CXSUX.

Love

TH:yuk: :yuk: :yuk:

TAC inop.
1st Feb 2007, 10:54
I'm trying real hard to understand here...
So, there are pax fleet Airbus crew based in Oz.
But now they are taking more, but paying less, and the folks in HK are upset.
I still dont really get it ...was there no bidding for Oz, or is the pay that bad?

404 Titan
1st Feb 2007, 11:13
tryhard

I think you will find KT is a new joiner. If you’re so bitter about CX why don’t you just leave? After all there are lots of jobs out their and the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence isn’t it?

TAC inop.

In essence the pay is crap on an Aus base and why so few HK FO’s take them. This is why the company is able to employ indirectly onto a Sydney base because no one in HK wants one.

Veruka Salt
1st Feb 2007, 11:47
TAC,

CX are paying the same pay to DEFOs that they've always paid to F/Os who've been HK based S/Os previously, so some of what you are told here is misleading. It's not a new pay deal.

The reason the HK based S/Os don't want the gig is because they've already relocated to HK, and if they take the Oz basing they then have to pay Oz tax, and they lose certain benefits which based Pilots have never had anyway.

Cheers,

VS.

TAC inop.
1st Feb 2007, 14:41
Thanks VS....makes sense.
..any Idea of what equipment will go where? The Oz slots are most of the major cities, but from what I can gather, these are new bases.

Veruka Salt
1st Feb 2007, 15:10
Currently, all Oz services are A330; very occasionally an A340 is sent down there.

The DEFOs are being recruited into Syd + Mel bases. As far as I know, only Syd based guys have commenced employment.

CX has had Oz basings for years, so these aren't actually new bases. There are already Capts + FOs based there. Other Oz bases are Bne, Adl + Per. Again, these aren't new bases, and as yet, DEFOs aren't being recruited directly into those ports.

VS.

nike
2nd Feb 2007, 00:26
The DEFOs are being recruited into Syd + Mel bases

You sure about MEL?

Veruka Salt
2nd Feb 2007, 00:50
Fairly sure. . . . I have a couple of mates in Virgin who are waiting for start dates in MEL.

404 Titan
2nd Feb 2007, 06:25
Veruka Salt

I have it on very good authority that the only DEFO pax bases currently available are SYD and AMS. MEL isn’t “yet” being offered. There was also a notice to crew stating this last year. Under our current contract the company must do what they did last year for SYD and AMS and give us the first choice before any DEFO can be employed on a MEL base. That is why your mates are still probably waiting for start dates.

Veruka Salt
2nd Feb 2007, 06:45
Fair enough. Thanks for the clarification! :O

OhForSure
7th Feb 2007, 01:09
Dream job no doubt... BUT to rehash a couple of GRA's first questions:
Will a SYD based crew simply drill the same holes in the same sky between SYD and HKG for the rest of their days? Or is there some variety to it? Eg: SYD-HKG-TPE or BNE-HKG-SIN or ADL-HKG-NRT??? If this isn't the case, and you are just shuttling between Oz and Hongkers, does it get mundane?

Will the new DEFOs still have to relocate to HKG for upgrades? (If CX decide that any FOs meet upgrade requirements :rolleyes:)

Also any info on time off, rosters, trips per month etc would go a long way to making me see sense on the Oz base thing!

Cheers in advance. As usual you guys have been very helpful in answering questions... CX forum questions rarely go unanswered thanks to you guys.

Go Right Ahead
9th Mar 2007, 06:42
Just a quick note to say thanks for the replies. Without dragging this thread too much longer, can anyone help out with the interview process. Is it more indepth than the S/O interview and what can one expect? Should one just cover HBJ, Capt XYZ and those mentioned in the other threads or have the line of questioning changed. I tried that link on the first page but cant seem to open it(the CX gouge). If you fly Airbus, do they give you the check on a BUS or the classic?

Can anyone tell me what kind of allowance can one expect, above and beyond your basic per standard month. Im told expect to be roster around 80hrs per month, seems to be the norm.

I look forward to hearing from you guys and specially anybody who has accepted this position or are currently in this position.

Cheers

G R A:ok: