PDA

View Full Version : Dell laptops

TinPusher
24th Jan 2007, 08:24
Hi All
I'm considering purchasing a Dell laptop but have heard that some airlines have banned them due to potential battery overheat/fire problems.
Is this still an issue?
cheers
TP

ZH875
24th Jan 2007, 08:34
from the Virgin (http://www.virgin-atlantic.com/en/us/passengerinformation/latestnews/index.jsp) website

LAPTOP BATTERY RESTRICTIONS

Updated November 9, 2006

As more and more models of laptops have been included on the list of those with potential battery problems, we have amended our policy to allow passengers to use their laptops as follows:

Any laptop computer can be used with its own battery in any cabin
If using the In Seat Power Supply (ISPS), which applies to our Upper ClassŪ and Premium Economy cabins, the laptop battery must be removed before connection to the seat is made. While the battery is removed, it should be placed into a plastic or airsickness bag to protect the battery terminals from touching any metal surface.The equipment/serial number checking procedures no longer apply. This change enables us to maintain a high level of both safety and customer service onboard.

ZH

11K-AVML
16th Feb 2007, 22:31
It was a quite a few months ago now, but I was told by the cabin crew on a BMI flight that they'd have to check their list of model numbers to see it was ok for me to use mine.

I told them it was not one of the affected models so they ok'd it without further enquiry.

It is rather worrying that you might not be able to use your laptop because of a blanket ban. I heard at the time that Qantas had impose a Dell wide ban...you might want to see if that still exists as it would probably be a good indicator of the general consensus.