PDA

View Full Version : Air West - Hijack

UN-Coordinated
24th Jan 2007, 06:54
30 mins after departure from Khartoum an Air West aircraft (probably one of their B737-200's) reported hijacked.

Understand aircraft is now routing to N'djamina.

No other details available at the mo,

UN-Coordinated
24th Jan 2007, 09:10
The aircraft was a B737-200 with 103 pax on board.

Hijacker reported to be armed with AK47 disembarked in N'Djamina and asked to see the French Ambassador for political assylum.

The aircraft departed N'Djamina and is ruting back to Khartoum.

I guess there will now follow a big enquirey regarding security and safety in Khartoum, which, considering the number of secret security agents running around is not that secure !!

My bet is that the airport authority will blame the security lapses on the airline (Air West).

Anyway looks like it turned out to be pretty uneventful as hijackings go !

Contract Dog
24th Jan 2007, 09:45
When you think how anal security here can be in their quest to arrest you for booz it is mind blowing how many guns make it onto the air side. Guess this means all crew will be searched 8 times now instead of 5 before being allowed to enter airport property. Wait, let me guess, it is going to be the UN's fault. Cant wait to see the backlash from the CAA on day to day operations. I love this place!

Dog :hmm:

Jetstream_lover
24th Jan 2007, 13:24
Oh Joy, how is miss Khartoum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

UN-Coordinated
29th Jan 2007, 14:13
A man was arrested in Khartoum, charged with assisting the Hijacker and smuggling a gun and 5 (five) knives thru security at the Domestic Terminal, KRT Apt.

The man is reported to be a rugular casual worker at the airport and assists with baggage handling thru the terminal etc.

He walked straight thru security (he is known to all the terminal security officers) and handed the weapons to the Hijacker on the bus carrying the passengers out to the aircraft.

I guess it goes to show yet again that security threats do not always come from Al Qaeda etc, but are often our friends and neighbours (London 7/7).

I think security agents all over the world have a very difficult job. However, I have seen on many occasions security allowing "known" personnel to just walk thru even when carrying bags, as well as prominent members of society (wealthy businessmen, Pastors etc). Certainly from my experience in Nigeria, wealthy businessmen carrying briefcases full of money don't care to be surched or put their bags thru scanners !!

I guess the Hijacker's "Assistant" is in for a rough time !!!