PDA

View Full Version : What exactly is BAs sick policy that is causing all this havoc?

shon7
24th Jan 2007, 05:24
Couldn't find this on any other posts but am curious what is BAs sick policy that has the sick days down to 12 from 22? Are they requiring doctors notes for every absence? What is the unions position? What is Managements position?

yachtno1
24th Jan 2007, 09:27
British Airways employees are required under the Terms and Conditions of their employment to maintain an acceptable level of attendance. If an employee fails to maintain an acceptable level of attendance it may become necessary to take action.
British Airways will regularly monitor absence levels of all employees in order to address issues as they arise and aim to act reasonably at all times and taking account of all the circumstances including compliance with any relevant legislation in place.
To ensure that this policy is applied consistently, Line Managers should seek advice at relevant stages from PeopleManager Advice.
:) There are reams of it .... I've been lucky enough to have only been off sick for 3 days since 2003, so I've never been through the mill!

TURIN
24th Jan 2007, 21:33
1. On return to work you are interviewed by your manager,
2. If you have been sick within x amount of days or for x amount of occasions etc then you trigger a review period.
3. If you are sick again during your review period then you will move on to the next trigger stage.
4. If you trigger too many occasions then you could possibly (in theory) be disciplined or sacked.
It is not helpfull when you ring in sick that your manager says "you do realise that this will trigger stage four of the absence management policy?"
This is what is perceived as bullying and disrespectfull.

atyourcervix73
24th Jan 2007, 21:51
There are many views and counter views to this, the arithmetic is however quite clear.

The CC employee group as a whole feel intimidated/bullied by the APPLICATION of the process, it is not a fault of the process itself. As has been said, the attitude of those tasked with applying this policy has been poor at best, it is also clear that BA are beginning to recognize that they can't apply the rules of this policy in the way they originally intended.

Another issue regarding this, relates as to how BA count sick days..as it currently stands for example, maternity leave is counted as sickness.

yachtno1
25th Jan 2007, 02:09
I thought CC had agreed EG300 and had recieved a payment for accepting ...:confused:

Dick Deadeye
25th Jan 2007, 03:17
The CC employee group as a whole feel intimidated/bullied by the APPLICATION of the process

How dreadful, the poor darlings being "intimidated" by the application of the process into working over Henley, Ascot, Wimbledon, Xmas, New Year, Divali, Thanksgiving, Bastille Day and any day with a "Y" in it.

Haven't they realised that THEY were the prime reason for EG300, with their appalling attendance record over the years?

BASSA accepted it, and each crew member received a payment for agreeing to it. CC Managers may be feckless and useless (most I met were) and applying the process inconsistently (highly probable) but very few in any part of the rest of the airline will have the slightest sympathy for the Cabin Crew in this regard. Their past absence record over many years speaks for itself, getting away with murder for years.

Sorry for those genuine, doctor certified, cases that have been mishandled, but that's what tends to happen when the sytem, having been abused for so long, bites back.

Skintman
25th Jan 2007, 12:14
I'm sure that we all appreciate that sickness levels for airc crew and CC will be slightly higher than the norm, due to possible damage to ear drums etc, but let's get real, an average of 22 days per year was a disgrace and indefensible. CC knew it and agreed to reduce it. 12 is still too high. The UK average of 6-7 may never be achievable in the airline industry, but 22 come on.:=

It is very disturbing the comments made here about shop assistants etc. CC are mostly hard working professionals, who in my experience deserve our full support, but not on silly issues like excess sickness and better terms and conditions. The more you dig in, the more you're good T & C's will be compared to others. You're at the top of the tree looking down, not the other way around.:sad:

The customer pays all your wages at the end of the day. Treat them badly and they'll use other carriers, which will effect us all. :cool:

Skintman

The Big Easy
25th Jan 2007, 13:13
One things for sure, Branson, Bishop et all will be licking their chop's!

TBE.

Grass strip basher
25th Jan 2007, 15:03
22 days sick a year :eek: :eek: :eek:
That is a whole working month!!
And thats the average so some people are worse than that.... surely those numbers cannot be correct?!?!?

atyourcervix73
25th Jan 2007, 15:15
You are right, they aren't, they used to be, but not anymore. Presently they stand at 12 days per year, however that number includes such things as maternity leave:hmm:

BA are not being entirely truthfull about the measure of sickdays. This does'nt in any way excuse the levels of sickness in times gone by, it is however indicative of the disconnect between managers who are as useful as chocolate teapots, and a small % of CC who take the p*ss.

Litebulbs
25th Jan 2007, 15:54
In theory then, you could have a baby and enjoy maternity leave, go back to work again, have another baby etc etc and after your fouth baby, be sacked for a poor sick record?

Nil further
25th Jan 2007, 18:39
TBE ,
I dont think that Branson , Bishop et all will be licking their chops , the last thing they want to see is a lean mean BA with its costs down and rostering /pay in line with other carriers.

They are quite happy with the the in-efficencies discussed here !

Regards
NF

Skintman
26th Jan 2007, 11:41
atyourservix73

Maternity leave is not considered sick leave for disclipline purposes.

If the BA sick day figures contain maternity leave, then presumably those that they are being compared to also contain maternity leave. Are you saying we are comparing apples with pears??:sad:

It is not something to brag about that the sick days have gone down from 22 to 12, it shows just what a shambles it used to be before, a bit less so now. :=

I thing BA CC do a great job :D , but striking over T & C's, which are some of the best in the industry is taking the mick.

If you were a downtrodden group on c**p T & C's then you would have everyones support, but you aren't, so you don't.

The more this dispute goes on, the more your good T & C's will be exposed for all to see. A dangerous game you play.

I'm sure we would all love to know what is the real gripe at the base of this row. Best T & C's, most sick days, best pension, best staff travel, best legs - what can the beef be - please tell.

Skintman

Megaton
26th Jan 2007, 11:50
I believe it's got something to do with expecting people to turn up for the work that they're paid for. Now I'm not sure but I did hear something along those lines.

atyourcervix73
26th Jan 2007, 12:49
Skintman
Maternity leave is not considered sick leave for disclipline purposes.

If the BA sick day figures contain maternity leave, then presumably those that they are being compared to also contain maternity leave. Are you saying we are comparing apples with pears??

I hate to disagree, but that is not what happened to my other half when she was preggers last year with our rugrat:=

I believe the words "this will not be discounted" were uttered more than once, all because she was unable to fly, and was to unwell (pregnant) to work on the ground:=