PDA

View Full Version : Budget concious BFR options around Brissie

Hasselhof
24th Jan 2007, 00:33
Hey all,

I'm looking to do my BFR in Brisbane at some point in the next couple of weeks, however I'm back studying full time these days and need to do it on a budget. I'd ordinarily head back to my old flying school at Archerfield but my understanding is that its much cheaper to fly based out of Redcliffe these days due landing charges etc (that and the fact that I live on the north side so its less of a drive). Any good / bad experiences with operators out of there or perhaps some other option I haven't thought of?

As a side not I'm a CPL w/- 500 odd hours and have held an instructors rating and instrument rating in the past, I just haven't flown for almost two years now so I'm not entirely sure where my current flying abilities are at. If I'm having to do more than one flight I'll have to take a cheaper option or flying will be out of my grasp for a considerable time to come.

Cheers

The Hoff

Ricky Bobby
24th Jan 2007, 01:08
I think your already on the right track.

If you take a look at their website you'll see that they offer free BFR instructor hire mid-week to members. Aircraft are in good condition and there is good variety to choose from.

J430
24th Jan 2007, 01:42
I can highly recomend giving Bryan Carpentar a call, he is very thorough and experienced (ATPL jet capt ret.) and will look after you very well.

http://www.aerodynamic.com.au/

Cheers

J:ok:

Jamair
24th Jan 2007, 08:40
Redcliffe Aeroclub is worthy; I can recommend Rick Wedgewood at Avalon (Caboolture) or Darling Downs Aeroclub at TWB.:)

Hasselhof
25th Jan 2007, 01:26
Thanks guys, good leads :)

Am looking forward to getting back up in the air again, its been too long.

Cheers

MakeItHappenCaptain
7th Feb 2007, 01:27
And if you don't want to travel as far as Maroochy (and cough up for the aerodrome fees), try Greg McGovern at QAS Caloundra. They're starting refresher courses aimed at pilots who've been out of the game for a while. Good Luck.

dude65
7th Feb 2007, 10:11
J430
If that's the same Brian Carpenter who was at Arena about 2 years ago then I'd suggest giving him a call. The bloke knows all the tricks of the trade.

Redcliffe Aero Club is also worth a look - CFI 's name is Brendan, good bloke.

Hasselhof
7th Feb 2007, 10:39
Its only just occurred to me that many of the changes to the airspace system have been implemented to some extent since I flew last. Given that I've not flown in 2 years and not really flown with any consistency since the beginning of 2003 I guess a proper refresher course thats aimed at people like me wouldn't be such a bad idea. As I've been spending most of my time in the intervening period studying an entirely different field I've pretty much fallen behind on the impacts of those changes would have had on day to day flying.

Unfortunately its all become a bit of moot point for now.... a new semester of uni has kicked in and what little free time I had has evaporated very quickly. Not only that but my old laptop finally gave up the ghost and I'm now $2000 odd behind which will put a more of financial strain on things than I had planned.

Such is life

Thanks again for your advice guys.