PDA

View Full Version : London --> Berlin

Middle Seat
23rd Jan 2007, 23:03
I've got some extra time in London now that some of my plans have fallen through, but since I've been there a lot, I'm contemplating a quick hop over to Berlin before returning to catch the return flight home.

I've been looking at the low cost carriers, and am trying to figure out logistically which is easiest to get to from central London for flights leaving between 6 and 7 in the morning....Luton, Stanstead or Gatwick. I've done the gatwick thing before, so I'm familiar with it, but not the other two.

Also...looking at easyJet, Ryanair, and Air Berlin. Any other LCCs plying this route? Plan on checking Lufthansa, BA and bmi just in case there's a chance of a matching fare.

Bluejay
24th Jan 2007, 09:02
Just done a few days in Berlin, flew BA with on a very good service, best advise is fly to TXL as it is closer to the center of the city, (I think Air Berlin and BA ops there,there may be a few others), the alternative is easyJet to SXF a fair way out of town (it will cost about EURO 30 as opposed to approx EURO 15 from TXL)

Other than that its an exciting place to visit, stayed at the Steigenberger Hotel which is in the Mitte section of town, or if you are mainly interested in recent history look for a place to stay (if overnighting) around the Potsdammer Platz area as this is very close to the Brandenberg Gate/Tiergarten (Victory Column) and the Reichstag.

Taxis are plentiful and there is a very good public transport system in place, drinking is cheap (bottle of Becks Euro 2,60 or for a Grosse Pils Euro 4 to 5,50 depending on where you drink), if you stay in the Mitte section of the city I recommend the Gecco Bar.

Also plenty to see apart from the above there is the Berlin Zoo which I am told is very good.

Hope this helps

Bluejay

Pax Vobiscum
24th Jan 2007, 15:42
Stansted Express (http://www.stanstedexpress.com/) starts running at 5 am (4:30 on some days) from Liverpool Street station and takes 45 minutes. Air Berlin have been highly praised on another thread.

172driver
24th Jan 2007, 17:22
Not sure they still do, but LH used to have a London City - Berlin Tempelhof run. If still avail, try it, you'll get treated to a flashback when air travel was still pleasant :ok: Tempelhof is about to be closed down, so last chance to see:{

Globaliser
25th Jan 2007, 16:18
Plan on checking Lufthansa, BA and bmi just in case there's a chance of a matching fare.Of these three, only BA has non-stop (or even direct) flights to Berlin. Rather amazingly, LH only does connecting flights to BER.

And alas there is no LCY-THF. I'd have loved that, now that I have some reasons to go to Berlin.

Unfortunately, non-stop fares to BER are generally not very affordable for short-notice travel, on any airline.