PDA

View Full Version : Outlook XP mail problem

Groundbased
23rd Jan 2007, 19:27
I have a strange problem whereby Outlook XP has been working fine with my BT Openworld account for ages. Now I cannot send/recieve, every time I attempt this I get a dialogue asking for a network password and cannot progress from there. In the past I have resolved this by changing my password at the isp, but no dice this time. It's well and truly banjaxed. I've heard that if you delete all your mail from the server and create a new account it might work, but I can't find anywhere where you can log on to the BT openworld server direct from the web.

Can anyone help me on this one?

Thanks.

bladewashout
23rd Jan 2007, 20:42
If you run Norton Antivirus, there is a known bug causing this kind of problem (it happened to me). Try uninstalling your virus software, which worked to fix mine, now I just have to buy a different anti-virus package as Symantec seem to feel this is perfectly acceptable behaviour...

BW

Keef
23rd Jan 2007, 22:42
If it's for domestic use at home, you don't have to buy a new AV.

Just download Grisoft AVG Free (v 7.5). Works very well for me.

parabellum
23rd Jan 2007, 22:53
If you log in to www.mail2web.com you can access most ISPs around the world and manage your mail from there until you have your problem sorted.

Agree with Keef, use AVG! After many years of Norton I have now dumped it.

Groundbased
24th Jan 2007, 07:27
I am using AVG free at the moment, although it keeps telling me that it isn't going to be free for much longer.

I have tried disabling it but still get the same problem. Uninstalling and reinstalling Office XP doesn't work either. I will try removing mail from the server via mail2web though.

THanks

Bigwings
24th Jan 2007, 07:38
Groundbased, the new version of AVG Free can be downloaded here.

http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1

:)

Groundbased
26th Jan 2007, 09:51
Resolved now.

Did a Windows system restore to a restore point that was prior to installing some crummy game that obviously caused the problem in the first place.

Thanks for your help.