PDA

View Full Version : Can I Stop MSN Messenger Logging in Automatically?

BRL
23rd Jan 2007, 13:01
When I start it up it logs in on it's own.

How can I stop it doing this?

Thanks.

Kestrel_909
23rd Jan 2007, 13:50
Not sure which version you are using, but along the lines of the following.

In MSN, go to Tools > Options > General, unselect Allow Automatic Sign in. Also there is the option to stop it loading Automatically when Windows start.

If one of the newer versions, you can also make it sign in each time appearing offline, so you can have a nosey but not be seen:}

Hope that helps

BRL
23rd Jan 2007, 15:48
Hi. It is Windows Messenger Version 4.7.3001

I dont have a General tab under Options as you stated. :confused:

FL8
23rd Jan 2007, 16:12
Well, you can do the following, although mucking about in the system registry can cause serious problems for your operating system, so no responsibility etc for the following advice! (sorry - lawyer in me dies hard) :O ---

Start the registry editor ("Start", "Run...", type "regedit", press "OK")

Before doing anything else, the experts always recommend you save a copy of your registry ("File" menu then "Export" and make sure you export "All" of the registry).

Navigate in the tree on the left hand side of the page to HKEY_CURRENT_USER - Software - Microsoft - Windows - CurrentVersion - Run

On the right hand side you'll see a list of processes which start every time you run windows (if you ever get a virus you'll often find an entry for it lurking here, among legitimate entries). Right-click the one called "msnmsgr" and select "delete". This means Windows will no longer attempt to start this program when you reboot.

You can simply close Registry Editor (no need to save changes - it happens straight away) and reboot.

It's actually a lot easier than it sounds :8

Vee One...Rotate
23rd Jan 2007, 16:49
It's in the options area somewhere. Something along the lines of a tickbox labelled "start automatically with Windows". The current version is 8 - it's free to d/l from Microsoft if you fancy an upgrade.

V1R

Loose rivets
23rd Jan 2007, 16:58
Just hibernate perhaps?

I kill all the stuff like HP updates etc., and then almost always hibernate rather than shut down. A lazy man's way round things.

BRL
23rd Jan 2007, 17:12
Hi guys, thanks for the info. I went and downloaded Messenger Live or something like that. When it came to logging in there was a check box that I left that went along the lines of 'sign me inn automatically'.

That seems to have done the trick, thanks for the help . :)