PDA

View Full Version : A330 v B777 rosters at EK

Ynot
23rd Jan 2007, 10:42
I would appreciate any input from EK drivers regarding rostering differences between the A330 and B777 fleets.
Any examples of rostering practices ex. number of days ON, nightstops/layovers, number of consecutive days OFF, total flying time etc... on an average working month (no annual leave or training)
I am trying to derive which fleet has a "better" roster according to my critiria, as different people may want different things from a roster....well almost.
Any examples are appreciated.

Y-not

grumpy_bugger
23rd Jan 2007, 10:53
Its academic as if you are silly enough to come you have no choice as to which fleet you join on; most likely if you have flown an airbus will be boeing and vice versa.

fatbus
23rd Jan 2007, 14:58
8-10 days off a month, some months you might get 12-14 if you are lucky. Be advised some will come on and say they work only 10 days a month, hardly the norm. 90 hr/m +- 5hrs.
Boeing slightly better Europe trips but still have the 9 day trips to Aus. The 777 is going to get busy and stay that way for at least 2 -3 years, crewing will never catch up.
Airbus mainly shorter trips IE 2 -4 days to Europe and Far East , Africa .Not as many pilot intakes on the bus this year, they say we should see a lowering of block hrs by Jul,ill believe that when I see it.
Both do there fair share of the night time turn arounds,ugly ugly ugly!!!
777 doing 201(JFK) soon,and SYD no one knows what the 500's are going to do. The plan shows them staying for a fews years, maybe due to late arr 380.
900 hrs is the norm.
Equipment is always changing and what is 777 today maybe 2x332 the next and /or 380. Tons of 777 and 380's coming .

Ynot
24th Jan 2007, 07:56
Thanks fatbus and gb. 9 day Oz trips?!?! How long does it take to do DXB SIN SYD? or even SYD NZ and back?
How often do those 9 day trips appear in a year even when using the bidding system to avoid them?
I understand the rest of the 777 trips are from A to B (6 to 8 hours flying time) layover and then B to A, except for the Indian/Pakistan/Middle East routes. Would this be correct?

Thanks Y-not

Backwater
24th Jan 2007, 09:17
A piece of advice take it or leave it. Never choose fleets based on where they go and for how long etc. What happens today may change tomorrow.
You asked about rostering practises: Well this is a company that rostered airbus pilots to 1000 hrs (prev 12 months) when the limit was 900. Do a search and you'll find that most of the moaning for the past three years has come from AB guys, but that's changing now as the pressure comes on Boeing manning. ynot - you'll find several dozen reasons Ynot.

Oblaaspop
25th Jan 2007, 16:34
I think you should check out the FOM mate before you accept a roster like that again.

Days off down route cannot count towards your mandatory days off (7 in 28), theese must be taken at home base.

DOR's may be used however to satisfy other requirements ie the 2 days off together in 14 if required.

They tried this on me during my last month of reserve until I pointed this out!

Don't trust them to get it right!

Ynot
31st Jan 2007, 11:41
Any other comments particularly about the 777 roster or examples from the last few months, would be appreciated.
Y-not

kingoftheslipstream
2nd Feb 2007, 15:06
YNot

In '06 I was over 100hrs/28 days three times. Usually my running total for previous 12 months is around 850+ hours. When this happens, I get tossed off the long range or special long range A340 stuff and given crappy night turnarounds to India or Pakistan in the middle of the fu#$ing night. It's no picnic. And it's about to get worse...

Once one has reached 900 hours, and is given time off from flight duty, we are now able to be rostered for simulator duty. 5 x simulator duties assigned, and 5 x simulator standby...

Now, one might ask a competent regulator (NOT the GCAA of the UAE) how a level D simulator approved for zero flight time training is not to be counted as "real duty"...

You should be able to figure out the rest for yourself from various threads on this site.

Ciao

k-