PDA

View Full Version : Qantas - SHL Pyschometric Tests

Mr Garrison
22nd Jan 2007, 23:17
Qantas use SHL as the providers for their pyschometric testing. Does anyone out there have any web links or book recommendations that closely resemble the SHL tests.

I know there are plenty of IQ books out there but SHL questions are all based on a graph or table of information and I have found it somewhat difficult finding a book or website that has a whole lot of these styled questions.

Thanks in advance...

sickBocks
23rd Jan 2007, 20:53
Saville & Holdsworth

www.shldirect.com/phasei/helpsection-phaseI/Helpon-9.asp?ID=3DA71072FC9A4819A6461B00249B7185

www.shldirect.com/phasei/practicesection-phaseII/Practice-18.asp?ID=3DA71072FC9A4819A6461B00249B71

novicef
24th Jan 2007, 00:02
Interesting.

ABX
24th Jan 2007, 02:23
Mr. Garro,

QANTAS have a sample test on their website, find it in the pilot/qualifications area of the site.

Cheers and good luck with the test.

ABX
9th Jun 2007, 00:08
Since my last post above, I have also read that there are some simple things we can do to train our mind to be more effective at these sort of tests:

1) Read, anything you can get your hands on and do it a lot. Preferably read quality material that will get the brain going, not trashy stuff and picture magazines don't count!:}

2) Crossword puzzles.

3) Number puzzles, such as sudoku etc.

4) Go to TAFE or where ever and do a short course, something you'll be interested in that will stir the mind.

I have been doing all of the above and enjoying it.:8

Has anyone got some more hints to add?

Cheers all.

dude65
9th Jun 2007, 04:06
Type "cognitive ability tests" into your search engine. There's oodles of sites with these types of test.

This could be the sort of thing you're after.

http://brainmetrix.com/iq_test

http://www.intelligencetest.com/

ABX
13th Jul 2007, 13:35
Did you see that QF no longer require physics?

I wonder if the psych tests will change as well?

Paul Alfred
13th Jul 2007, 22:41
I went to the local Library.......stacks of practice questions there, CD Roms....very helpful!

Cheers :ok:

PA

Mudflat
14th Jul 2007, 00:01
There are a few copies of the actual pool of questions (numerical and verbal) floating around the place, I reckon that would be good study material.

wrongwayaround
14th Jul 2007, 00:32
You can actually construct your own 'cube' tests (with the patterns on each side). It's really easy, you'll become a master at them.

I did that. And finished the actual cube testing at Qantas in 40% of the allowed time!

Paul Alfred
14th Jul 2007, 04:10
If you've got the money to spend (I guess it can be another part of the whole Aviation dream investment fund), the PATS course has been a big success for many pilots for giving them the edge during the Assessment 2 Stage. Have a look at the new website which will be officially launched on Monday.
http://pats.visualjazz.com.au
Pricing is mentioned under the Qantas area in the Airlines Link. I wish this existed when I first did the testing, I'm sure it would have helped!
Regards, PA ;)

ga_trojan
14th Jul 2007, 05:17
That course is a complete waste of money you can do it all yourself for peanuts. And if everyone practices for the testing then it really defeats the point of having the testing in the first place.

Paul Alfred
14th Jul 2007, 07:35
Have you done it? If so....whats your reason for that response....for someone who is thinking of investing that money...I need to explore all avenues especially feedback from previous course members.

Thanks, PA :)

Qantas Queen
14th Jul 2007, 11:56
$3000 for two days is ridiculous. If you spend a bit of time looking for the right books or other material, and you put in the necessary time to prepare, you are a good chance at passing and going on to the next stage. But if you want to be spoonfed and have the money, then go ahead and do the course.

scarlet wimpernel
15th Jul 2007, 00:50
this book is pretty good:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pass-Professional-Level-Psychometric-Tests/dp/0749442077
if that link doesn't work the book is called:
How to Pass Professional Level Psychometric Tests: Contains Practice Tests for IT, Finance and Recruitment (How to Pass) (Paperback)
by Sam Al-Jajjoka
good luck

ABX
15th Jul 2007, 01:35
Thanks very much for the link scarlet, I have ordered the book.:ok:

OhForSure
15th Jul 2007, 04:28
Hmmm.... Some real QF pool questions? Where oh where on earth would one locate those??? (Be advised, i'm not primary radar equipped at present, and may require a bearing to target!)

Anyone able to advise?

JulieFlyGal
15th Jul 2007, 04:42
Each time I see Qantas pilots at the airport, I stand in awe knowing that each and everyone one of them know how to fold those cubes properly. How I wish I can one day be in the company of fellow successful cube folders. :)

ABX
15th Jul 2007, 04:46
Hmmm... Mudflap, would you care to PM me with some details (or with the questions!) please?

JulieFlyGal
15th Jul 2007, 05:15
ABX, i thought i read somewhere that you just started to learn to fly. A bit too early to be applying for Qantas don't you think? ;)

ABX
15th Jul 2007, 05:22
Julie, I thought I read somewhere that you are 18 years old. A bit too early to be running my life don't you think?;)

Actually, Jools, its never too early to research and prepare. If I get the psych tests and so on now I will be well prepared when I have the QF minimums.

slice
15th Jul 2007, 08:39
Even better - there is usually a large swag of these books at your local library if you live in a reasonably large metropolitan area - available for FREE:)

togs737
15th Jul 2007, 14:14
Hey guys,

Sorry to take this slightly off-topic, however I did not want to start another thread.

Regarding the Qantas cadetship this year, would it be a disadvantage to hold aprox. 50 hours flying time?

Kind regards,

Nick