PDA

View Full Version : Do We Have A Virus?

Le Pen
22nd Jan 2007, 15:48
Hi Guys,

A couple of times over the last week or so it seems that we have "sent" emails with an attachment to people we have received emails from on the same day.

However, in reality we haven't chosen to send anything and these emails when checked in our outbox show an attachment with a .txt ending.

We are using IE6 and OE6. We run All the Norton protection that there is and I have checked with Windoze Defender and done a Trend house call. and found nothing.

Any ideas please.

Thanks

LP

VH-MTT
22nd Jan 2007, 17:46
I'd have a look in the settings to see if you have "sent a notification when read" or something similar set up.

Its been a while since i used outlook express 6, but i think there is something in the menu that can auto send a reply to the sender when you read a message, so they know you have read it.

.txt files are harmless, but if you have turn off extensions for know file types, or hide system files, then it may show up with a .txt extension. when the actual file name is file.txt.bat or sometimes file.txt ____________________________.bat where the _ are spaces.

These can cause problems if opened.

M.

Le Pen
22nd Jan 2007, 18:30
Thanks for that M...

But nothing set up to auto reply.

Still looking.

LP

BOAC
22nd Jan 2007, 18:32
Ask your recipients to send you back the email you 'sent' and have a look at the header.

Le Pen
22nd Jan 2007, 19:18
Hi BOAC...
Thanks for that, I have asked for a screen shot... One of them said it was all in French :yuk:

LP

BOAC
22nd Jan 2007, 20:37
Ask them to 'forward' your email back to you and then you have all the info - the 'screen shot' may be of value but it is the header that is the key.

stickyb
22nd Jan 2007, 22:20
Hi Guys,
A couple of times over the last week or so it seems that we have "sent" emails LP

A lot of virii that send out emails spoof the from address, so the real possibility is that a friend of yours, who has your email address in his or her address book has been infected by a virus. this is sending out emails from the infected machine but with your adress as the sender.

almost legal
23rd Jan 2007, 07:21
this is sending out emails from the infected machine but with your adress as the sender.

Yup this is also happening to me. Is there any fix?

BOAC
23rd Jan 2007, 07:24
Not as far as I know! It happens on my wife's email address. I have spoken to the mail provider and we suspect the address was harvested from a web site. That door has now been shut.

stickyb
23rd Jan 2007, 10:51
this is sending out emails from the infected machine but with your adress as the sender.

Yup this is also happening to me. Is there any fix?

If you can get hold of one of the original emails and look at the header, you will be able to find the IP address and computer name. That may give you enough clues if it is someone you know.

Le Pen
23rd Jan 2007, 14:02
Moron alert!!!!! :rolleyes:

OK, so its been a couple of busy days at work and the old Gray Matter isnt what it was! :(

Just got the email back from friend "A" and because it was in French (as is our system) he didnt have a clue at to what it was. :=

However, it seems that it is simply the receipt acknowledgement that he had requested in the first place. :ugh:

So, VH-MTT was 99% correct with his first thought just the wrong way round. :ok:

Thanks Guys, brilliant as always. :D

Love

LP

Keef
23rd Jan 2007, 16:34
However, it seems that it is simply the receipt acknowledgement that he had requested in the first place.

If it were me, I'd switch OFF the acknowledgement facility in the mailer. That's a very good way for a spammer to know a) that your address is live, and b) that you received his fine offer.