PDA

View Full Version : Tipping Handlers when out-of-country

aviation1st
22nd Jan 2007, 13:28
So I travel out of the country on trips every so often and I know that most pilots tip their handlers to help everything go smoothly. What is your opinion on how much to tip? Does it matter depending on the region? I mainly travel to The Carribean and South America. Does it depend on what size aircraft you are flying? Do you tip right away or at the end of service? Any advice would be great. Basically - whats the standard?

Punch
22nd Jan 2007, 19:03
Aviation1st,

I personally receive the odd tip in my profession and seeing as though you seem like a generous guy/girl (Have to cover all bases), I would suggest that you tip based on a few things.

1) Standard of service
2) What you can reasonably afford
3) What you think is acceptable

I would not worry about size of aircraft etc, maybe just how many staff are on the ground at the time. Obviously if its a small army, things could get silly.

At the end of the day, your paying someone a little bonus so they won't complain.

Where I work, the standard of service to all crews and pax is second to none. The tips I receive often reflect that although they can be few and far between.

I may not be based in those parts of the world, but if your talking ££ then even £10 is better than a kick in the Tits...

I'm sure most ground staff would agree, whatever country they are based in:ok:

Punch:ouch:

winkle
22nd Jan 2007, 20:09
on a trip i remember seeing baggage handlers being handed a healthy tip and they didnt even take the bags out of the van, i did and loaded them in to the ac. then i flew them to their destination, unloaded and sorted the cients on their way, they didnt even say thank you.
once got given a tip of an alarm clock.
another time got a gift of a quarter bottle of red wine
funny old world

PicMas
23rd Jan 2007, 08:44
You know...

You posted the same post in the Caribbean Forum, think about poor guys answering your question and then thinking they are going senile because the post is not there?!?!?!?

unablereqnavperf
23rd Jan 2007, 19:31
Don't tip at all is my policy people are paid to do a good job and should do a good job. I never expect a tip and allways givce the best possible service to our clients thats what they pay for after all. I almost never recieve a tip and don't expect one either.

Tipping is an American disease and should be out lawed!

mutt
24th Jan 2007, 06:55
One of our crews got tipped $100,000 for a 3 hour flight...... :):)

Do you think they should give it back?

Mutt

Pilocol
24th Jan 2007, 07:40
Hey Mutt, was that $100.000 Pesos, Bats or something you can do a lot with???
For the rest..don't be cheap ... you (WE) arer getting pay the big bucks, tip the poor guy at the FBO that will need it... come on!!!:)

Specially in S.A. and some other 3rd world countries ...

Keep it safe ..:ok:

con-pilot
24th Jan 2007, 16:25
Don't tip at all is my policy people are paid to do a good job and should do a good job. I never expect a tip and allways givce the best possible service to our clients thats what they pay for after all. I almost never recieve a tip and don't expect one either.
Tipping is an American disease and should be out lawed!

I can see you have never flow a corporate jet around the world. There are places in the world that if you don't tip, you stay there.

One more time, sigh. You do whatever is customary for what country you are a guest in, if tipping is required, you tip, if it is not you don't.

aviation1st
24th Jan 2007, 17:33
Well thats what I am asking. Universal sets up our handlers. They usually work as a translator between us (the crew) and customs. They file our flight plans as well as doing other basic things. Im not talking about bag handlers or drivers. So I dont know what customary is....that is the question. I dont even know if there is a need to tip. I fly for a large corporation, so money isnt really an object, but I dont really like to freely hand it out either. In some places, it seems to make things run a bit smoother when I pop out of the plane and hand the guy/girl a hundred.

So thats the basic question, for you corporate drivers. What is the standard for you or for your company? Dont tip, tip based on service, tip before to get good service....I dont know! :ok:

4HolerPoler
24th Jan 2007, 20:29
It's a good question & I'll tell you what we do - we tip to reward really good service (even if we have no intention of going back there) but the real reason we tip is to ensure we get the good service (or better) that we rewarded them for the last time. Our regular handlers in a lot of different places know that we don't tip as a matter of course but only when the job is well done - the stairs arrive ten minutes late & the boss gets kept waiting - they know there's no moolah tonight.

A few things I've learnt about tipping (my views may not be the right ones):

:cool: Don't tip the guys who did the graft in front of an over-bearing ramp manager - the minute you turn your back he'll have it off them.

:uhoh: Don't slip a team of ramp workers in a third-world country a hundred buck note - it's of no use to them & they'll end up arguing or beating the crap out of each other in trying to split it up.

;) Some station managers get paid a whole bunch less than you may think - they know you tip their guys. Don't forget to look after a great manager on occasion as well, if that’s appropriate. Doesn’t have to be money – any idea what a great service you may do for him by writing a letter to his CEO, complimenting his excellent operation?

Enough of my advice - tipping's not for every operation & in some places it's not good manners to do so, but the day two jets roll onto the apron together and there's only enough personnel or equipment to service the one, who do you think they're going to go to?

Last note - tipping obviously has to be condoned by the boss - he's funding it and he needs to have some tacit means of approval for the practice.

Good luck.

4HP

Gulfstreamaviator
26th Jan 2007, 08:12
Were the icing on the cake, but now as Mutt will confirm, a KFC meal is most welcome instead.

I have just relocated from a colder place to a warm Dubai, and do not expect tips to increase as the temperature increases, but I live in hope.