PDA

View Full Version : Accommodation Allowance Scheme Concerns

68wj
22nd Jan 2007, 00:11
I am writing in the hope of contacting some of the ATCs working in HK and who are provided with accomodation in the form of the AAS as part of their terms and conditions. Recent changes are going to make life difficult and cause many others on the scheme to be priced out of the rental market. This will cause tremendous stress to both them and their families as can be imagined. At present other persons working for the Government on the AAS are working to redress the situation and would appreciate getting in touch with those ATCs in a similar position. Thanks for your time.

LapSap
22nd Jan 2007, 12:29
Excuse my ignorance, but what recent changes are you refering to?

68wj
23rd Jan 2007, 10:18
Hi.
Thank you for your reply.
The change I refer to was made to CSRs in October 2006 and basically means that you are tied to the dates of a previous lease when you sign a new lease prior to your last lease's expiration. In a rising market this will mean you are priced out of the market. The Director of Accounting Services has stated that your answer to the problem he has created through his penny pinching tight-fistedness is for '...you move down the market or pay the difference yourself...'. This is considered to be very unfair by many people currently on the Scheme and the ball of dissatisfaction is rolling. So far the ball has caused considerable concern amongst the penny pinchers and the hope is a unified stance may result in a return to a degree of fairness. Many people are currently complaining that when they were directed - ie not by choice - onto the AAS they received written guarantees from the Govt. that the rate of AAS would always be such that they could afford to rent accommodation of the same standard as the Govt. Quarters they previously lived in. Examples of the inaccuracies of this are clearly advertised by the Govt. on the Governement Property Agency Website! where flats in midlevels (Chater Hall) which were the quarters of AAS recipients prior to their being pushed onto the scheme are available for rent for between 36 and 38,000 PCM. That's a LOT more than the current rate! The change is causing many people a lot of financial pain and many are considering moving on to greener pastures.
If you are an AAS victim let me know and I'll be happy to go over it all with you in detail. Thanks for your time and all the best.

bamboosnake
24th Jan 2007, 00:08
97 pay levels, higher tax rates, inflation, no staff to allow for leave, higher traffic levels, contiuous training, etc etc moral at an all time low.... You think you can get them to change the rules for the AAS...good luck...

I recently complained about an allowance that is frozen at 97 levels and was advised nothing can be done as the Govt has decided that they will no longer be paying it to future employees so current ones have to put up with the reductions.....as it is considered no longer required. ???

Who's advertising for Jobs..who's short of controllers..UAE to get 8% pay rise,..World shortage of controllers. Govt policy is clerks paid to much so whole civil service will be kept at 97 levels untill private sector clerks catch up.???oone more gratuity in a few months time and Iam out of here..clean air here I come

68wj
6th Feb 2007, 23:42
I understand your feelings and they are shared by many working for the Government. The battle against the AAS being unfairly jigged about is probably a lost cause. But when things affect the well being of your family you have no choice but to fight back. Good luck with your future plans.