PDA

View Full Version : Port Harcourt Runway Issues

Flying Touareg
28th Nov 2005, 10:24
This story really made me laugh. Maybe cows now want to fly!!

"For the second time in recent times, three stray cows have been shot dead on the runway in Port Harcourt airport, Daily Trust is reliably informed. But unlike the last incident in which Air France ran into the cows, no aircraft ran into the three cows before they were killed.
The cows were found at about midnight mid last week on the Port Harcourt runway but were shot dead by airport security officials to prevent any accident with any landing aircraft."

http://www.dailytrust.com/news1b.htm

rhinoboy55
11th Jan 2006, 01:57
Anybody ever work in port harcourt? Whats it like?

I.R.PIRATE
11th Jan 2006, 07:35
Well, its in Nigeria for one. Its clean. Theres no corruption. Its safe. Its not overcrowded. Theres no disease. Theres no crime. Theres no traffic. Its clean. Well it is so clean. Its absolute paradise. Off you go then, to Utopia and beyond.....

anjouan
11th Jan 2006, 08:30
rhinoboy,
A lot would depend on what you're going there to do and who you're going to work for. Are you a helicopter pilot? Let us know more about what you're considering going there to do and I can tell you more about the housing and lifestyle you're likely to have.
Port Harcourt as a city is typical of many large cities in this part of Africa - large, sprawling, dirty and with no real heart. It can be dangerous in places from time to time. There is also a lot to do socially during your time off, depending on what your interests are. There are now a couple of good fitness/health clubs with multi-gyms, squash courts, swimming pools etc. There are 3 golf courses, a polo club, tennis clubs and a good local hash. There are a number of good restaurants these days with prices ranging from moderately expensive to outrageous. There are plenty of expat bars and nightclubs, some quite upmarket; others the usual 'meatmarket. Depending on the company you go to work for you may have a good broadband internet connection at work or in your housing. There are all the Nigerian cellular telephone networks, most of which are oversubscribed and often difficult to get a line on. NEPA is as bad here as anywhere and electricity cuts 10 to 12 times a day are the norm. Housing and food are very expensive as this is the oil capital of Nigeria (quite a bit more expensive than Lagos). There are a number of supermarkets, but even the larger and better ones have shortages of things quite frequently. Traffic is generally awful. PM me if you want to know more.

Gunship
11th Jan 2006, 08:38
We will set up an airport security setup their as well with a new airline starting their soon. Hope to meet up !:ok:

rhinoboy55
11th Jan 2006, 09:18
IR PIRATE
Can I detect a bit of sarcasm in your reply? Just a little?

Nigerian Expat Outlaw
11th Jan 2006, 10:56
rhino,

It's actually a combination of I.R. and anjouan's posts, hard to quantify in words as is the case with a lot of places in Africa. Have you worked in Africa and/or Nigeria before, and what are you planning on doing in PH ?

NEO

I.R.PIRATE
11th Jan 2006, 11:34
Ok you can....but just a little ,ok?

rhinoboy55
11th Jan 2006, 11:42
IR actually the Japanese did a study on sarcasm and you'll be glad to hear that you are probably more intelligent and most people don't get it....

Rani
11th Jan 2006, 11:56
Sarcasm is also classified as the lowest form, and least intelligent form of humor. This is according to another study!

I.R.PIRATE
11th Jan 2006, 11:56
Sorry mate, Im just being feceacious.......full of crap.

Im just such a fan of Nigeria, that I wouldnt want you to waste the chance of a lifetime, by missing out on all the wonderous things the country can offer you.

Solid Rust Twotter
11th Jan 2006, 14:50
Rani - Only by those who don't get it...:E

I.R.PIRATE
11th Jan 2006, 15:29
Humour....who said I was trying to be funny. Nigeria is no laughing matter Rani....

SRT::ok:

rhinoboy55
13th Jan 2006, 03:02
So how about the beaches? Lots of babes? Nice tans? Topless?

fudpucker
13th Jan 2006, 15:19
None to speak of.....no.......yes....if you pay.

south coast scaff
16th Jan 2006, 07:58
hhhghghghhhghg

south coast scaff
16th Jan 2006, 07:59
Make sure that you always have a bribe float

etienne t boy
16th Jan 2006, 09:22
rhinoboy,

Port Harcourt is quite a long way from any beaches, but it is possible to go and swim in a nice clear river at Azumini.

Lots of babes?...... depends on the day of the week and how many you take with you :E
Nice tans?...... yours or theirs ;)
Topless?...... depends how nicely you ask I guess :D

Whatever you do make sure you have good kidnap and medical insurance at the moment as the militant groups in the region are stepping up their attacks on oil installations and kidnapping expatriates again

Rani
20th Aug 2006, 07:33
Have any of the airlines confirmed that ops have been moved to Calabar or Owerri? Owerri runwau+taxiways have no night illumination so my best bet goes to Calabar...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

LAGOS (Reuters) - Nigeria will shut its main international airport in the oil producing Niger Delta at Port Harcourt for at least four months' repairs later on Friday, the aviation agency said.

The Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority said the emergency shutdown was required to rehabilitate the runway and build a fence around the facility.

"The airport is being closed down for safety reasons ... We hope that the rehabilitation work will be completed and the airport reopened in December," a spokesman said.

"They have been directed to close it down at sunset today."

Port Harcourt is the largest city in the delta, and several Western oil companies including Royal Dutch Shell have large offices there.

Lufthansa and Air France fly there direct from Europe.

Safety standards at Nigerian airports have come under close scrutiny since President Olusegun Obasanjo ordered urgent reforms in December after two plane crashes that killed more than 200 people last year.

One of the crashes on December 10 was at the Port Harcourt airport where 106 passengers, many of them school children, were killed. Some commentators said that lives could have been saved if the fire trucks at the airport had had access to water.

The disaster came seven weeks after another airplane crashed near Lagos, killing 117 people.

In July last year, an Air France plane with 196 passengers on board ploughed into a herd of cattle on the runway. No humans were killed, but authorities blamed the accident on the lack of a perimeter fence.

The runway lighting and firefighting facilities at the airport will also be overhauled during the shutdown, the spokesman said.

The NCAA said all domestic flights to Port Harcourt will be diverted either to the smaller delta city of Warri, the southeastern city of Owerri or to Calabar in the southeastern corner of the country.

International flights will be diverted to Nigeria's two main airports in the commercial hub of Lagos and the inland capital Abuja, the aviation agency said.

Good Man In Africa
20th Aug 2006, 11:08
Same story as Lagos. No notice, chaos the result.

MrBernoulli
20th Aug 2006, 12:33
If both Port H and Lagos shut FOREVER it wouldn't be a loss to aviation. Complete and utter ****eholes! :E

Rani
20th Aug 2006, 12:59
Such inflammatory words! TOTALLY understandable though, at times Nigeria seems to leap backwards...As if no lessons whatsover were derived from the Lagos 18R experience last year.

On the positive side FAAN promises a fenced airport, expanded apron (badly needed) as well as a fixed ILS, lighting system, and more generators.

Not a bad bargain, and with a high-calibre contractor like JBN the job might actually get done come December.

Tokunbo
20th Aug 2006, 13:56
MrB,
Very inflammatory remarks. I presume you are a pilot, but you seem to have little consideration for the thousands of passengers who have to fly to these so-called sh1tholes every week. Besides which, they're no worse than hundreds of other airports all over Africa. If they shut it would be a huge loss to the Nigerian aviation industry and the thousands of staff employed in it.

MamaPut
20th Aug 2006, 14:32
Rani,
You obviously haven't seen the information that JBN are pulling out of the Delta area of Nigeria because of the present lack of security and kidnappings. The work was due to start in October but has been brought forward because of all the problems with generators and the runway surface. Unfortunately, no contract for the work has yet been awarded and I confidently expect it to be just as much of a total screw-up as the runway resurfacing at Lagos :E

Rani
20th Aug 2006, 15:25
Mama,
If no contract has been awarded despite the airport's sudden closure, perhaps this means the airport had SEVERE loopholes as far as safety is concerned. I'm not a pilot but just hypothesizing. Another disaster is not exactly the gift FGN wants to give ICAO during their upcoming safety assessment of Nigerian airports.
My conclusion: It was a wise decision to shut the airport :8 Finally, FAAN is giving human life the attention it requires. However the least they could have done is giving a 2-week NOTAM.
Julius Berger is not exactly out of the WHOLE delta region yet. The Tinapa project in Cross River is still ongoing with thousands of workers scrambling to deliver the project on time. The type of nuisance faced by JBN there is unrestive youth demanding employment, peacefully.
I think PHC needs a complete overahaul. The terminal building is a disgrace, straight out of the 1950s. If only you heard governor Odili boasting about it :(

SASless
20th Aug 2006, 16:11
The "truth" is inflammatory at times. If the concern is about the "passengers" then in this case the truth is not inflammatory.

It is no secret or surprise the airports at both Lagos and Port Harcourt are below safe standards and have been forever.

The corruption problem diverts money away to Swiss accounts that should have been spent on the national infrastructure.

How long after the fence is up will it take for holes to be cut into it....and money pass hands to pay for grazing rights?

Why are the ground based navaids U/S.....at an International Airport?

Tok....the truth may be embarrassing but it is the truth.

MrBernoulli
20th Aug 2006, 16:23
Thankyou SASless. Nail on the head.

My intial post a bit insensitive in its language, perhaps, but the message unchanged. These places are an utter disgrace. Nigeria has serious wealth and it could be an example in Africa. However, unsurprisingly, the powers that be have chosen to line their own pockets, as usual.

Tokunbo, wake up and smell the coffee! :\

Flying Touareg
20th Aug 2006, 20:02
The corruption problem diverts money away to Swiss accounts that should have been spent on the national infrastructure.
Sasless, i think that was a thing of the past. With the terrorism and money laundering surveillances now, it is not easy to play around with money in swiss banks except if you can assist:} You guys sit somewhere and just make malicious assumptions about Nigeria. Things are improving and getting better. We acknowledge and support the on going changes despite the fact that people like u try to scuttle our progress by spreading bad news about our great naija.it is not fair.

Rani
20th Aug 2006, 20:16
MrBernoulli,
You make it sound like:
1- you're a pilot
2- you've flown into LOS and PHC recently
3- You've had particularly nasty experiences in both airports
Care to share some of your thoughts/experiences?
LOS has changed DRASTICALLY in the past 5 years. One quick tour of the international terminal and you'll notice the changes, it's now an international-standard facility.
The government is keen on upgrading PHC and other airports in order to pass the ICAO assessment in November. Years of corruption makes this a daunting challenge, but I think one should given the current govt. a chance, they have some accomplishments under their belt especially the Civil Aviation Bill now tabled at the house of assembly. This bill will presumably render the NCAA an autonomous organization, and ultimately, Nigerians skies safer.

SASless
21st Aug 2006, 02:41
FT,

I hold a Nigerian ATPL....amongst several others....and have spent many years living and flying about Nigeria. I remember when one could drive a personal car between Lagos and Calabar, Port Harcourt, and Warri. Yes....the Lagos airport is much improved but I cannot say that about PHC. My first visit to Lagos was in 1976 when the current domestic airport was the only airport in Lagos. It was much better then than it is now though not as fancy looking. There have been marked improvements but there is much to be done before the airports are up to "international" standard and the supporting infrastructure such as taxis, hotels, security match other places in the world.

I have been supportive of things Nigerian but also am realistic about what is and what should be in the country. There are plenty of good folks about....but you have to admit corruption, theft, and sheer poverty deprives the ordinary Nigerian citizen of the life that could be achieved if the system was cleaned up and the oil wealth used for the public good vice lining the pockets of the few.

Go to any school house in River or Delta state and look at the lack of books, computers, science labs....health care....and tell me the government is doing right by the people.

Crepello
21st Aug 2006, 06:27
Some good points here, especially about Rivers State governance. Mr Odili's recent piece in an industry magazine were ambitious, at best. I can't agree with his optimism that PHC will become a model of excellence, from which other African airports will learn lessons. At least it's a commendable vision.

I've no operational experience at Lagos or Omagwa but as a regular pax though both - and as a licensed pilot - I've seen nothing that concerns me unduly. That said, I'm tired of being asked for 'dash' from uniformed officals at PHC. In that regard, Lagos definately has its act together. If the renewal of Omagwa's facilities coincides with an ousting of selfish attitudes and tiny minds, so much the better.

The big question is when PHC will reopen. If contracts haven't been awarded then jeez... But MrBernoulli should note that PHC - and LOS - serve and are served by a great many good people, whom it's my pleasure to visit and do business with. I echo SASless' sentiments about the progress that should have been made. Good luck, Port Harcourt. I fear you're going to need it.

chuks
21st Aug 2006, 08:15
Has 18R been re-opened at Lagos? it was still closed as of last October, when I left. It looked as if the contractor was delaying finishing the rufurbishment until the final payment had been recieved so that the major airport in Nigeria was down to one rather tired and greasy runway.

Perhaps it is something in the air but it's not just Nigerians who play around with safety in Nigerian aviation, you know! Plenty of ex-pats who should know better have done some distinctly odd things operating there. Still, it is fianlly down to the regulators to sort things out.

Dear old Murtala Muhammed got a very nice cosmetic work-over of the terminal when shiny terrazo floors emerged from two decades and more of grunge. Then they got the airconditioning working, along with the travelators. They even took away the crappy one-way glass panels that meant it was pure chaos just trying to hand over your passport for stamping, inbound and then get it back again. But it's still the usual chaos on the baggage reclaim belts; I guess they had to leave something to show arriving travellers that they had landed in Lagos, Nigeria and not by mistake in London.

But meanwhile, airside, ah! Missing lights, stolen away back in the early Eighties and never replaced, missing signs that had been knocked down by madmen driving tractors pursued by tickbirds, markings on the apron that had faded to unreadability, blind spots for comms that mean crews not in the know sitting there wondering where the Tower had got to, an ATIS that didn't, a runway that hadn't been de-rubbered since ages so that it was as slippery as hammered owl ****e when it was wet, taxiways that grew holes here and weird bulges there... well, never mind that, just look at those shiny floors in the terminal.

I assume, since that was October 2005, that everything has changed at DNMM and that my description no longer fits. 'Lagos, Centre of Excellence,' eh?

Tokunbo
21st Aug 2006, 09:20
MrB and SAS,
I think you both missed my point. I totally agree that PHC is a disgrace. It was shut down at such short notice for precisely the reason Rani surmises. What I take issue with is that if both of them shut down for ever it would be no loss to aviation - it would be a great loss to Nigerian aviation.
The only good facility in DNPO is Governor Odili's new facility there.
SAS, despite the fact that it is many years since you were last in Nigeria, your friends obviously still keep you well up to date on the situation here. You are right that Lagos has improved immeasurably over the last 5 years, though it still has a long way to go to get up to anything approaching a European international airport standard. The taxiways are very bad and the radar is still not functioning far too aften (though I'm told that this is sometimes due to lack of qualified staff, rather than electrical or mechanical defects).
The lack of security at Port Harcourt, in the shape of a perimeter fence has long been a worry and even though it will undoubtedly be breached, something is better than nothing at all. The airfield lighting and runway state have been dreadful for far too long now and with the amount of traffic arriving the apron is far too small. For an international airport, the passenger handling and rest facilities are a disgrace, so if all of these issues are dealt with, maybe the inconvenience of the shutdown will be worthwhile.

Rani
21st Aug 2006, 15:10
Rehabilitation begins at Port Harcourt airport runway
• Monday, Aug 21, 2006
The Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria (FAAN), has nominatied Julius Berger Nigeria Plc to carry out resurfacing of the runway of the Port-Harcourt International Airport.
Mr Adeniyi Ajakaiye, the general manager of FAAN, who announced this in a statement in Ikeja, said the runway was deteriorating.
He said the Managing Director of FAAN, Mr Mohammed Yusufu, had given priority to the airport under the FAAN’s rehabilitation programme currently being undertaken at the nation’s airports.
He said that full rehabilitation work would be carried out at Port Harcourt, and noted that its taxi-way, power supply, airfield lighting, navigational aids and other facilities would also be affected. The FAAN boss said the project was aimed at ensuring that the travelling public had confidence in the airport facilities.
A paint manufacturing firm has also been contracted to remark the runways, taxi-ways and aprons at all the nations’s airports.
The rehabilitation projects at the nation’s airports are being carried out in preparation for the International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO’s) audit scheduled for November.
http://www.thetidenews.com

SASless
21st Aug 2006, 18:16
Tok,

I agree the airports need to remain and many more need to be built along with the building of new roads and the maintenance of existing roads. The Billions of dollars in hidden in private accounts does nothing for the country or the citizens.

Hopefully Lightning will strike one day and it will come about....one can only dream I guess.

Now that crude oil has been at or above Seventy Dollars per barrel....is the government still using Thirteen Dollars per barrel as the price for determing how much money goes to the local governments as they did in the past?

Tokunbo
21st Aug 2006, 19:23
Okay if things follow their normal course here, what are the odds for actual reopening date?
I'm reckoning 8/1 against for December, 6/1 january, 5/1 February. 2/1 March and Evens for Easter :E
Aero and Bristow seem to be pretty busy with lots of extra helicopter flights between NAF and Owerri. I'm told that NAF will remain for helicopters only for the time being (with the exception of the RSG and NAF fixed wing).

Flying Touareg
22nd Aug 2006, 15:12
learnt there was a temporary closure today of ABV because an aircraft had a burst tyre or so as a result of the heavy downpour this morning. does anybody have info on this incidence?

chandlers dad
23rd Aug 2006, 05:13
It is no secret or surprise the airports at both Lagos and Port Harcourt are below safe standards and have been forever.
How long after the fence is up will it take for holes to be cut into it....and money pass hands to pay for grazing rights?
Why are the ground based navaids U/S.....at an International Airport?
Tok....the truth may be embarrassing but it is the truth.

At least they finally towed the B742 off of the ramp but now they just towed it into the mud at the South end of the terminal. It was the cargo bird that landed on the construction equipment a while ago after being cleared to use that runway, then left on the ramp with all tires flattened and everything else damaged on the bird.

Was there 40 days ago and both runways were open. Course it was a joke but thats life there. Abuja is still non-radar after 1700 because the controllers go home. Thats right, unless the President is flying they turn the radar off and go home. Guess you do not need radar at night in mountainous areas, or around thunderstorms... Thank God for EGPWS and stormscopes!

Flying Touareg
23rd Aug 2006, 14:39
http://www.dailytrust.com/news1c.htm
Two tyres burst on a plane seconds after it landed at Nnamdi Azikwe International Airport, Abuja yesterday.
The Boeing 727 operated by Chanchangi airlines was taxing to the airport terminal after the pilot made a “hard landing” on a wet runway, airline officials said.
Nobody was hurt when the two tyres burst, but del-ays occurred as the runway was searched for debris.
The flight, NCH 190 depa-rted Lagos 7:15am yesterday morning with 98 passengers on board. The aircraft was said to have successfully landed and was taxing to the apron when the two tyres got burst.
Confirming the incident yesterday, the airline Coordinator/Public Relations Manager, Alhaji Muhammad Tukur, said: “The Pilot of the aircraft, Captain Pam, made a hard landing to grip with the wet runway after there was heavy downpour in Abuja. The pilot was able to taxi the aircraft to a halt and passengers evacuated.” He said the aircraft would soon be back in service.
Daily Trust however learnt that the incident caused delays at the airport as no other plane was able to land or take off before the aircraft was removed from the runway.
Tukur in reaction to this said the runway had to be inspected to determine any damage to it before the airc-raft was eventually removed.
He stressed that aviation authorities and the ministry of aviation are doing ever-ything possible to make sure that travelling by air is safe.
Tukur however assured air travellers that the airline’s safety profile would not be compromised in any way.
Domestic air carriers are lobbying government to allow them access to lucrative international routes.
Both airport manager of the Nnamdi Azikwe Intern-ational Airport, Abuja, Mr. M. I. Ali-Nock and the Station Manager of Chanchangi airlines in Abuja, Mr. Adamu Garba Mshelia described the incident as “minor”.
Mr Ali-Nock said: “My run-way and all other facility at the airport are intact. This is one of the un-avoidable type of incidents. I commend the effort of the pilot who succeeded in avoiding skidding. It is not something strange or serious in the aviation industry for an aircraft to slide just as this one slid.
“There was no casualty. All the passengers were evacuated from the aircraft along with their luggages and have since gone their different ways. The Aviation Minister saw everything but because it was not a serious matter, no casualty, no damage, only one tyre got burst and he had to proceed on his trip.”
Commenting, Mr. Msh-elia said the passengers on board the plane did not even know that the incident happened until they were told by the pilot that he cannot taxi the aircraft to the packing lot because he lost one of his tyres.
He said: “We have a cream of qualified and exper-ienced pilots who have a track record of safe flight for dec-ades. We are using the best tyres and other components for our aircrafts. Our tyres are the types with nine layers and they are the best you can find anywhere.
“It is an un-avoidable incident and there is nothing one can do. When you go through our records, we have not recorded any major incident leading to either death or serious injury to our passengers. We started operations as far back as July, 1977. We have well trained pilots and are careful in ensuring timely servicing of our aircrafts,” he said.
Mr. Mshelia put the cost of a tyre of the aircraft at one thousand, two hundred and fifty US dollars ($1,250) and said arrangements for the replacement of the four rear tyres of the aircraft has been completed yesterday after the tyre might have been replaced. The burst tyre was replaced less than one hour after the incident and the aircraft was taxied from the scene of the incident to the parking lot.
Mr. Mshelia who said the aircraft has the capacity to contain 165 passengers, said there were nine crew members on board the aircraft at the time of the incident.
A statement issued by the corporate office of Chanc-hangi airline in Kaduna and signed by its engineering quality assurance manager, Engineer O. Oluwole, said the sliding was caused by the heavy rain at the airport.

MamaPut
26th Aug 2006, 08:05
The runway at NAF Base has been cleaned this week and the Minister of Aviation visited earlier in the week. He was talking about fixed wing operations being allowed into the NAF Base again while the international airport is closed. Don't know if this would be open to all scheduled traffic or just to oil related flights as in the old days when 4 operators were operating turbo-props into NAF. There is no lighting and no navaids, but I guess that it's possible for aircraft like DHC6 or DHC8 to operate safely as they did in the past.

AVSEC
26th Aug 2006, 12:32
NAHCO management in PHC have asked staff to choose between LOS and ABV and to report for duty there.
They have not been given a date to report back for duty at PHC.

UN-Coordinated
13th Jan 2007, 12:46
Today I was told by a contact of mine in PH that the work on PHC (DNPO) had only started 2 weeks ago !!

The airport has been closed for at least 4 months (??) !!!

What's going on ??

Has the contractor run off with the money again ??

froggy_pilot
13th Jan 2007, 12:59
The contract for resurfacing the runway was just given recently to Julius Berger.

Officially they hope to open the place by April...

Rani
13th Jan 2007, 13:19
It's been reported in Business Day that JB's new scope will include the construction of a 2nd parallel runway. I wonder if this is a fact or just another Nigerian media blunder? In any case PHC will have a fence, so it seems.

On the terminal and landside, I wonder what an April milestone could ever accomplish? The whole facility needs a real upgrade, rather than the routine cosmetic, patch-work job.

chuks
13th Jan 2007, 13:21
Well, if Berger get paid then the work will get done surprisingly quickly. I remember once when I was flying for them, going out to see a bridge being built near Minna. They were ready in about two months from start to finish.

Another time, though, I went to see another job that had been going great guns. When we got there all we could see were five guys with brooms. It was explained that the progress payment must have gone astray.

Given that DNPO is so high-profile perhaps this job will go according to plan. It shouldn't take long to find out, eh?

UN-Coordinated
13th Jan 2007, 13:36
Do we know why there has been such a delay between the time the airport closed and the time JB were awared the contract ? Or is it that it has taken this time for JB to mobilize ?

Seems a little strange to close for so long, especially as this would have ment a drastic reduction on the revenue generated by PHC.

I know it has seriously affected the Clearing & Forwarding business in PHC, and Customs Area 2 (I think) must be wondering what hit them !!

Still I guess they all had enough put asside for that rainy day, and in PH there are plenty of them !!

Rani
13th Jan 2007, 14:29
Do we know why there has been such a delay between the time the airport closed and the time JB were awared the contract ?
Serveral reasons. Among them: a dispute, followed by contractual negotiations, between JB and the Federal Government over the total contract price. I believe JB quoted initially 3.5b N, this was later brought down to 2.7b N. Another factor is the need for a fresh surveying job because runways tend to settle substantially (and unevenly) over their life cycle. Finally rain downpour in Oct/Nov retarded the surveying tasks....
Someone else mentioned that the earth underneath PHC's runway had some interesting chemical/geotechnical properties which was causing the premature degradation of the runway over the years. JB were apparently busy with finding a solution, and geotechnical borings were necessary.

Hopefully this new exercise will result in a REAL runway following international specifications in drainage, strength, etc.

MamaPut
13th Jan 2007, 19:30
As Rani says, there was quite a wait for the subsoil testing results, as it's not as simple a job as just resurfacing the runway. JB did the NAF resurfacing very quickly. The airfield is unlikely to reopen in April, mainly becuase that's when the government have said it will be :E . The perimeter fence is important as is a proper back-up power supply. I hear that it's likely that even when the runway is open and traffic returns, there is still likely to be ongoing refurbishing of the terminal facilities. Can't see a second runway happening for many years and a radar is getting to be a must if DNPO is going to be able to handle traffic in anything like a reasonable fashion.

In the meanwhile, as has been mentioned in other threads here, Arik should have their wet-leased Dash 8 300 here soon and if they have 3 scheduled flights a day into NAF Base that will at least ease the problems of getting to Port Harcourt a bit.

bdwa
20th Jan 2007, 17:55
My Question is how long has this airport been closed and for how much more time will it be closed. How long does it takes to fix a fence and a runway.
Does it not occur to anyone how much revenue the airlines and Government are losing by having the field closed.
Finally, its 2007, do they not realise that you can resurface a runway in sections at night and reopen the airport during the day. How about temporary displacing the runway to allow planes with shorter landing distances in during construction.
These are just questions. Maybe someone know's something I don't. I'm willing to get other peoples thoughts, Cos the day we Nigerians start thinkng outside the box, and get intelligent people incharge, is the day progress starts. Until then, more of the same.

froggy_pilot
30th Jan 2007, 09:15
bdwa
Nobody can answer your question, just NOBODY.
To bring that "airfield" to an international ICAO standard airport, you need to do more than the runway.
Constant power failure, I can remember being stuck in at night during taxiing for 15 minutes becose of total blackout :ugh:
There is no fence, remember when Air France killed 7 cows at night during landing :yuk:
No radar and no true weather informations :\
It's Nigeria, and now they are too busy with the presidential elections :E