PDA

View Full Version : Perth Tower Vacancies... 2007

Quokka
20th Jan 2007, 12:59
Line up boys & girls... three vacancies in Perth Tower this year.

I doubt that they'll be advertised := Time to take a punt on who the Manager will be and pay them a visit ;) and get down on your knees :E

willadvise
20th Jan 2007, 22:07
Who is going to check them?

Knackers
20th Jan 2007, 22:09
Which groups will release anyone? Everyone is short staffed as it is. Probably fill the tower gaps straight out of the college.

flightfocus
20th Jan 2007, 23:50
If you currently/recently wore a blue uniform to work and speak/spoke to knuckle heads your application will miraculously float to the top of the pile. :yuk: :yuk:

Nevermind the lads eagerly waiting, and waiting, and waiting :hmm: in the wings... :zzz:

Another moral booster bought to you by Airservices Australia Management :ugh: :ugh:

SM4 Pirate
21st Jan 2007, 01:11
So who is going to be the RS manager?

Who is going to be the checky (the incumbent)? Awful good will shown (from what I can see) from the current to put that rubbish behind him and continue.

Has LD got the call-up for the CB job? Will RL get moved upward? Or will an ex blue shirter get the gig?

JM (SDE guru), might be a dark horse, not what you know but who...

Most interesting to me is "why" would the positions not be advertised? This could only mean AI direct fills, or maybe those still bounded to the CDP will get a new location; but that would mean it's not permanent unless advertised... Yes I know CDP gets there, gets rated then applies for the vacancy when it's advertised; merrit based selection at its best.

No Further Requirements
21st Jan 2007, 01:13
If you currently/recently wore a blue uniform to work and speak/spoke to knuckle heads your application will miraculously float to the top of the pile. :yuk: :yuk:
Nevermind the lads eagerly waiting, and waiting, and waiting :hmm: in the wings... :zzz:
Another moral booster bought to you by Airservices Australia Management :ugh: :ugh:

I'm betting the positions will be filled by the Global Search applicants. There's enough of them!

Cheers,

NFR.

SM4 Pirate
21st Jan 2007, 01:16
I'm betting the positions will be filled by the Global Search applicants. There's enough of them! But wasn't Civil Air told that GS entrants wouldn't get the good jobs at the expense of people desperate to get out of the enroute (what career) stream?

Zhaadum
21st Jan 2007, 09:05
PLEASE tell me that Grumpy Smurf and Hong Kong approach are leaving?
They couldn't manage the flow into a bathtub.

I am often told "no approaches available" when no other traffic on frequency, or "slow down due traffic", then after slow cruise for 10 mins "speed up due following traffic", then "sorry gap has closed approaches are not avaliable" again. Makes me sick.

1) HOLD me at a closer distance to PH so we can make it to final if a gap opens up in the flow, not 30 odd miles away.

2) TELL me the IAS you want me to maintain and I will comply if able.

3) ALLOW for wind, you know what speed range a typical light piston twin has and you know the wind vector, so no more stupid questions based on our displayed groundspeed. You are the guys with the radar after all.

4) I understand RPT jet traffic has priority and I have no issue with that.
I just think the service we piston drivers get could be better managed.

I always talk to ATC with respect and a cheery voice but it is becoming very difficult of late. Perth ATC really needs a shake up.

Z.:ok:

SM4 Pirate
21st Jan 2007, 10:24
Wow, talk about thread drift...:}

flightfocus
21st Jan 2007, 12:51
Wow, talk about thread drift...

Kind of related......
"Grumpy Smurf" & "Hong Kong Approach" are not in the tower - the key is in the word approach :}

Zhaadum you got to understand that the overshooting light twin dramatically increases workload when playing in the big pool. With the big boys getting airborne 20kts faster than you can pedal downwind, you can get eaten up very quickly. :eek:

The screw around/conservative handling is probably the result of being burnt by less capable or understanding operators. (Benefit of the doubt given!)

What really needs to happen is one of the asian training supermarkets to build their own ILS to play with and recoup some costs through charging other GA skywarriors to use it. You can't tell me they can not afford the million or so required.

Then we can all be happy. :D

Ooops gotta go - just got called up for a logic bypass :{

BrazDriver
21st Jan 2007, 17:02
Zhaadum, I agree with your post for arriving twins they have no idea. For the PA31/402 etc series of aircraft when given a speed restriction we cannot magically make it happen. Those turbo's take time and track miles!

I agree with the holding, why not hold us at 3nm. From that position we dont need much time, plus we dont need a 2km landing roll. Quick and simple.

Most Twins flying into perth are usually fuel critical for max payload. I can recall quite a few times the holding has been in excess of 10 mins! We dont have time for their stuffing around! Had to hold for 47 mins one day! Fixed reserve whats that??

Flightfocus, I belive Zhaadum's post was in reference to arrivals at PH not airwork aircraft. When the sequence at Perth gets busy I believe they are the 1st to go. But I like your idea of an away ILS. An ILS for them at BLN or cunderdin (but the shire is broke) would be fantastic. There is an ILS somewhere over east for training purposes only with no airport there, surely with the activity here it would be great! ASA with their airway charges should be putting the $ to the new navaid.

In the meantime we all need to share, we all want the same thing from a to b in the shortest and most efficient way.

Icarus2001
22nd Jan 2007, 08:58
I agree with the holding, why not hold us at 3nm Are you crazy? Hold at 3nm, at what bloody level? How are you going to make profile from there?

Remote ILS huh? What about Albany? 203nm from Perth. So at 180 knots groundspeed about 70 minutes. Sure as hell beats holding at PH!

Weekends use the Pearce ILS.

flightfocus
22nd Jan 2007, 13:18
For the PA31/402 etc series of aircraft..............why not hold us at 3nm
Why not use Jandakot for these types? You dont have to worry about holding, 3nm is the extent of the zone. You will be treated like kings as suddenly you are the biggest and fastest (almost!) And you wont have 2km of excess runway to block :}
Weekends use the Pearce ILS
Doesn't the RAAF have an ILS to a cow pat near Gin Gin somewhere? Why can't we go play with that one? :(

R4+Z
22nd Jan 2007, 13:28
But why would anybody want to come to Perth. All the other forums berate Perth for being Dullsville?

Another Number
22nd Jan 2007, 14:02
But why would anybody want to come to Perth. All the other forums berate Perth for being Dullsville?

Hey, it may be Dullsville, but it's the world's most expensive dullsville. :{

You know why they just introduced Daylight Saving in Perth?

So people wouldn't spot the total lack of a nightlife! :(

R4+Z
23rd Jan 2007, 08:47
FOD-Boss

Yeah well you obviously don't live in the northern suburbs. What was in that proposed move for us in the north?

Another Number

We'll drag them into the 21st century yet. Lets face it have referendums on changes like the time and shopping hours then ignore the wishes of the people anyway. But perhaps I should stick to jet blast with comments like that!

slusher
24th Jan 2007, 04:49
As far as the positions not being advertised, I have heard that this is happening at a few places. Where someone who is "surplus" (ab initio etc.) is just being given the Permanent slot without the job being offered in the bulletin board. Is this true? If so, what hope is there for not only the enroute guys who are quick to complain, but also the tower guys who are stuck out in the middle of nowhere doing there "regional tower time" before furthering their career and moving on.

Icarus2001
24th Jan 2007, 06:23
What bloody regional towers...they were all decommisioned.

slusher
25th Jan 2007, 03:23
Tamworth, Albury,Alice Springs, Rocky, Launceston,Mackay,Coffs are all still classified as Regional towers and have numerous people in them who would like positions to be advertised so they could apply to move on with their careers.

flightfocus
25th Jan 2007, 03:54
positions to be advertised so they could apply to move on with their careers.

:) "careers" :D

Ah thats great. Needed a good laugh. We are still talking about Airservices aren't we????

It would appear that many jobs are based on an order of association rather than merit. Unless your know the ringmaster how do you know whether its time to put your left foot in - or take your left foot out ??? :sad:

Beware the "divide and conquer" mentality that is not only oozing through Airservices, but the wider professional aviation community in Australia.

Remember: Global Search = Australian shortage = ball in ATC court. :ugh:

Quokka
25th Jan 2007, 06:06
Global Search + global shortage = $ $$$,$$$.$$

No Further Requirements
25th Jan 2007, 08:05
Global Search + global shortage = $ $$$,$$$.$$

=AWA

Caution.

Cheers,

NFR.

Islander Jock
25th Jan 2007, 08:54
I too have had inordinate delays in clearances for ILS approaches, VFR overshoots or even just a blast around the city. For god sake, at one stage we used to come in from Fremantle or even sooner, have a rubberneck arond dowtown Perth then get a Victor 61 via Canning bridge to Jandakot. These days, you are lucky if you get your clearance to enter the zone by Observation City then have to fly all the way back out via Cottesloe.:mad:

FOD -Boss
There is no ILS, VOR or DME at Jandakot. I think they wanted to build 6 runways and an ILS a bit further south..but nobody wanted that.

As one who is close to the group that was involved in fighting that little charade I can assure you quite categorically that JAH and their parent comany might well have wanted to carve up Jandakot for developlment but had little intention whatsoever of building an airport with the facilities you mention. Oh yes they did mention providing an ILS on a parallel runway so that non IFR ops could continue on the other :ugh: :ugh: :ugh:

Have a look at www.jandakotairportrelocation.org to get a better idea of what went on. A planner on the Mandurah council described it best as being "ill conceived and poorly presented"

Quokka
25th Jan 2007, 18:09
=AWA
Caution.
Cheers,
NFR.

Umm... wouldn't it be a "Facilitative Arrangement" in accordance with the current EBA?