PDA

View Full Version : Tanzania Air Charter work T&C's

Orvil
20th Jan 2007, 02:50
Hi all,
I started a thread a while back regarding flying in TZ.
I've been in contact with a few companies down there but don't really know what T&C's to expect.
I need to send back to the UK every month about £700 (house/debts etc). I've been told most will give you free accomodation plus pay. How much are the living expenses in TZ. Are they like most African countries.ie. stay away from "western" places and everything is cheap?
I would be grateful for any information, as I don't want to travel down to TZ and then realize that I can't really afford to work there.
I have (f)ATPL,ME/IR 280hours.
Ta:)

Mods: I put my thread here under Africa rather than "T&C's", hope you don't mind.

Soap Box Cowboy
20th Jan 2007, 08:15
Can get you a resonably priced shack at the edge of the airport, should be not more than 20 thousand shillings a month, within walking distance of the comunal latrine and local water well.
Local mama's resteraunt provides resonably priced cakes for breakfast, and Ugali and beans for dinner, though you might want to splash out on the weekends and get yourself some chips maiyay.
For all your clothing needs there is the local market where you can root around through bundles of europes last season fashions, they may be out in europe but still look cool out here :ok:
Don't worry about your medical needs, local healers can be found randomly dispersed selling various herbal remedies out of old Konyagi bottles.
Beer is resonably priced at 700 shilling for a half liter, but you may also want to try the more traditional brew, bit flat but I hear it has a kick.
Good luck :E

flyhardmo
20th Jan 2007, 15:17
mate with your hours you'd be lucky to get 700USD a month. Don't know how your going to match the other 700 to make up the exchange rate. Living her can be very cheap as average wage for tanzanians is 50000tsh ( about 40USD) but dont expect to be on time or happy. Of course as you get more hours the dollars increase.

Orvil
20th Jan 2007, 17:57
Thanks both for your comments.
Very funny, Cowboy. That's more than what I was expecting!
Flyhardmo, What do you mean by "don't expect to be on time or happy" ?

Ta

Soap Box Cowboy
21st Jan 2007, 11:27
Like Mo said, with your hours you would be lucky to get 700 dollars. Rember banks charge on average 10% of what your sending out of the country.

Heard there was an outfit in Sudan flying a LET-410, the pay is apparently good but there is a reason for that.

flyhardmo
21st Jan 2007, 16:00
take the local transport Dala Dala, which is a religious experience,and you'll never be on time but hey its 25cents. Living in poverty after splashing out a healthy amount of money to get a license thats almost useless without experience = unhappyness.. How many happy prostitutes do you know because thats how life in GA begins.:ugh:

Orvil
21st Jan 2007, 17:51
Hi all,
Thanks for your comments, very amusing.

So still no idea what to expect.
Apart from prostitution. Is it best to bring your own KY?:}

After "refinancing", I don't actually need £700 a month. However, I would like to eat, drink etc.
So how much do these out fits do pay?

Orvil
Not willing to bend over - not yet, anyway.;)

Soap Box Cowboy
21st Jan 2007, 19:48
Current companies that I know are active and pay a descent wage according to Experience (wage being relative to the individual) Mwanza: Aurich Air, Kilwa Air. Arusha: Regional Air, Northern Air, Air Excel. Zanzibar: Tropical, Zan Air. Dar Es Salaam: Coastal, Tanzanair, Zantas. Also we got missionaries and Red Cross out here, from what I understand the red cross is volenteer and the MAF guys is a faith thing, hear their check list includes instructions to pray (not a joke) we are currently trying to get a copy of the check list for verification.

You can save money here all depends on where you live who you fly for, how much you party and how many gadgets you buy.

Orvil
21st Jan 2007, 22:12
SBC,

Thanks for your reply.
I'm going to hassle a few you mentioned this week.
If I get response I'll post what I find on here.
Thanks once again.

cpt hamna sheeda
23rd Jan 2007, 11:46
Orvil,

In 2000 i flew for Coastal (i started with 350hrs). I got paid 500USD + housing.
At the end of the month the wallet was empty.

Mukosha
27th Jan 2007, 15:09
Hi .. here is my contribution to the advice given so far.. some useful.. some probably just frustrating for a guy trying to start out.

As has been mentioned, your hours are very low and therefore salary will match. Your aim should be to find a job first, and then worry about pay, cause if you do it the other way around you might give up!

That being said, you have to be here. The "season" is soon going to kick off and this is the best time to be looking for jobs in a safari dominated aviation environment. You will NOT get any kind of job sitting down there. Take my word for it.. I am sure all would agree.

Companies are desperately looking for pilots now and as the season approaches might lower their requirements. You wont know unless you are HERE.

Salary.. expect $500 to $1000..

what do you think guys?

V2+ A Little
27th Jan 2007, 16:36
As a Eurpean pilot with commitments at home, I wouldn't bother with Africa. Go pay O'Leary his 20'g's, and you will be better off. You will make f***all, doing work in TZ or any other part for that matter. SA has a couple of operators that will pay reasonable salaries, but they all want a certain amount of min hours. I am not trying to descourage you (sorry about the spelling), but that is the way it is.

flufdriver
18th Feb 2007, 20:01
Some interesting comments here!

i've just read the ad by Air Tanzania, looking for B-732 drivers (and a Chief pilot) is this a new outfit or is it being overhauled?

Does anyone have the inside story on this company?