PDA

View Full Version : Whats the Award Wage for?

Red777
19th Jan 2007, 15:11
As the question states...Im wondering what the award wage for a pilot with

:CPL flying single engine charter/scenics?
:CPL (MECIR Rating) flying S/E charter/scenics?

All questions relate to AUS.
Kind Regards

AerocatS2A
19th Jan 2007, 16:20
Not much. (http://www.wagenet.gov.au/wagenet/Search/view.asp?docid=262211&query=(GENERAL%20AVIATION)&page=33&quickview=Y)

You would be lucky to find a company that actually honours the award.

scrambler
19th Jan 2007, 20:04
You won't get paid for the extra ratings if you are not required to use them for the job.
Flying SE charter/scenics would still give you the same wage as a basic CPL or if you had MECIR Instructor rating etc.

tinpis
19th Jan 2007, 20:37
Bum wipe? :hmm:

OpsNormal
19th Jan 2007, 21:16
Not much. (http://www.wagenet.gov.au/wagenet/Search/view.asp?docid=262211&query=(GENERAL%20AVIATION)&page=33&quickview=Y)
You would be lucky to find a company that actually honours the award.

Your link is out of date.

Try Here (http://www.afap.org.au/files/I816UJIS5D/Pilots%20GA%20AFAP.pdf)

Metro man
20th Jan 2007, 00:05
The Award in GA is something only a small number of good operators follow. For most pilots, far from being a minimum safety net it is a target to aim towards. You can measure your job by how far below the award your conditions are:yuk:

Counter-rotation
20th Jan 2007, 00:39
Well said Metro man.
It also never ceases to amaze me just how many pilots are not aware of exactly what they're entitled to.
Operators love this ignorance, and will continue to thrive on the "divide and conquer" theory, promoted by pilots who continually accept less than their minimum, simply because they are afraid that they will not get work unless they do.
When will they learn that inability to take a "long term position" with respect to pay and conditions will quite possibly haunt them for the rest of their careers.
CR.

scrambler
20th Jan 2007, 00:56
My Favourite.

We pay as per the award, not a cent more not a cent less. Oh you will be required to supply a uniform.

A37575
20th Jan 2007, 01:39
If I pay for the uniform, will you promise to pay for the stripes, sunnies and sandshoes?:8

777WakeTurbz
21st Jan 2007, 00:40
Theres an award rate? :}

bushy
21st Jan 2007, 01:43
There is a GA award, which spells out in detail what the operator should pay for and how much.
AFAP (you know that outfit they reckon does nothing for pilots) have been working on this for decades. It is a very complicated business, and changes slowly, like all legal things. It works reasonably well for full time pilots, but could be better for casual pilots. (casual employment is generally not very good for either the employer or the pilot anyway, but in todays crazy world there is a lot of it going on)
There is a company in the NT (and probably others) that have written an employment agreement which is similar to the award, but may be better for casual pilots and I am told it is all properly approved legally. Most Alice Springs companies use this, or a similar one. It does away with the minimum daily flying hour pay, and replaces it with an hourly rate for ground duties and waiting time .
There appears to be a number of companies that are selling ICUS to newbies, so those companies pay nothing.
A pilot who seriously considers his future lies with aviation should support, and be involved with some sort of Federation, Association, Union , Guild, or similar. They can be helpful, and you can do your bit to help the profession.
A pilot who works for substandard pay, appears to,be a substandard pilot.

DUXNUTZ
22nd Jan 2007, 15:00
You mean, "An employer who pays subpar wages is a substandard employer".

tlf
22nd Jan 2007, 15:26
In most companies the award used for levelling the ops managers desk.

bushy
23rd Jan 2007, 02:33
Yes, an operator who employs pilots and pays less than award rates is obviously a substandard operator. So are the pilots who work for less than their entitlements.
Both are usually temporary.

Mr.Buzzy
24th Jan 2007, 03:30
Might as well call an award a "Limbo Bar"

bbbbbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzzbbbbbbbbbbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Deepsea Racing Prawn
24th Jan 2007, 03:56
It's not always that bad.

I'm on 15K over the award with a car and phone and there's not a turbine in site. Guess I should count myself lucky.:ooh: