PDA

View Full Version : How to get an upgrade to First ...

Pax Vobiscum
19th Jan 2007, 13:58
Change your name to Anthony Charles Lynton Blair and book in economy with BA to Miami (preferably en route to another freebie) - see The Independent (http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/politics/article2152469.ece). :eek:

I wonder how long to get to Jet Blast ...

747boy
19th Jan 2007, 15:13
Change your name to Anthony Charles Lynton Blair and book in economy with BA to Miami (preferably en route to another freebie) - see The Independent (http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/politics/article2152469.ece). :eek:
I wonder how long to get to Jet Blast ...

Do you mean en route to another Bee Gee. Not freebie.

BOFH
19th Jan 2007, 20:37
With all due respect, this is JB material and has already been handled there. It seems the PM paid for an upgrade to J at the desk and was bumped afterwards. As tempting as it is to discuss the sheer effrontery of such a situation, there's such a rich mix of 'I hate hosties', ''I h8 RyanAir', 'BA sucks', 'airport security' threads, it seems a shame to bring politics into the mix as well.

However, let's not dismiss your question.

I've only ever been upgraded that way when I've had to take a non-smoking seat or been diverted. In two of those cases, the captain offered me the jumpseat for the fun bits as well. In a third, I offered the pleasure to a colleague of mine who returned to his seat looking like as happy as a dog with two...

I can tell you that you may be bumped if you are booked on J longhaul from a certain famous airport in Germany when it's packed (try a Friday night or Saturday afternoon) and you offer some spare points. So instead of going directly to SIN, you take the long way around, via MNL. The lounges in Manila suck, and so does the airport, but hey, you're going F!

The most bizarre experience was once receiving compensation for having done so!

BOFH

SXB
19th Jan 2007, 21:21
Personally I don't see anything wrong here.

Tony Blair purchased an upgrade at check in from Y to C. He didn't pay at the desk but requested to be invoiced, obviously this payment option probably isn't available to most us but I think he's probably good for it...

On the subject of the upgrade from C to F, Tony Blair, love him or hate, is the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. British Airways is the flag carrier of the same nation and thought it appropriate to upgrade him to first class, it's their company and they can do what they like. Also, the Captain and crew may have felt the party was easier to manage in first, passengers in first are less likely to start giving him a hard time than those in club, if he'd been in economy he would definately have been in trouble.

derekl
21st Jan 2007, 00:52
I agree with SXB.

I don't need to like Mr Blair, his politics or anything else about him including his choice of holiday destination, but he is the PM and as far as I'm concerned BA (or Virgin, if they so choose) carry the Union flag and should treat him accordingly. The only people entitiled to moan are the company's shareholders and they can do that at the AGM.

Besides, good old BA bumped me to F on a couple of occasions and I wasn't even PM at the time :)

PAXboy
21st Jan 2007, 18:03
SXBBritish Airways is the flag carrier of the same nation and thought it appropriate to upgrade him to first class, it's their company and they can do what they like.[QUOTE]
Stating that BA are their own masters and can do what they like, corrects your statement that they are the flag carrier. The UK no longer has a flag carrying airline, as it was privatised. Whether they carry an image of the Union flag on their a/c is not relevant.

As has been said, let us hope that the shareholders ask why this upgrade took place. Why should an airline give away so much for free? Perhaps they are just hoping for future consideration by present and future PMs/ministers? Perhaps it is was written off against the publicity budget to have the a/c appear in more news stories and that would be legitimate in their books but I do hope that the shareholders protest at the loss of revenue.

What I question is the cyncial way that a millionaire: Planned to pay C but booked in Y, knowing that he would be in F because of social preference. He knew that he would get the upgrade, because the flight woul dhave had to have various security people on board and BA would have known about it beforehand. How much was paid for them? Did they pay a simple group fare? Wasn't it fortunate that enough seats for all the Blairs were available in F?? :rolleyes:

SXB[QUOTE]Also, the Captain and crew may have felt the party was easier to manage in first, passengers in first are less likely to start giving him a hard time than those in club, if he'd been in economy he would definately have been in trouble.
Ain't that the truth!!! And, once again, Blair knew that and cynically saved money due to his position despite saying he wants a fairer Britian, Yadda, Yadda. If the policitican I voted for pulled this stunt, I would not vote for them again.

SXB
21st Jan 2007, 19:50
Stating that BA are their own masters and can do what they like, corrects your statement that they are the flag carrier. The UK no longer has a flag carrying airline, as it was privatised. Whether they carry an image of the Union flag on their a/c is not relevant.

You're wrong Paxboy. Both BA and the travelling public see BA as the national flag carrier. The fact that the govt. doesn't actually own them is irrelevant, nationalised industry is a thing of the past in the UK. When people see BA they see Britain.

I'm not sure why you're so hung about this particluar subject, it sounds like something you'd read in the tabloid press, who probably give a slanted view. Government ministers in Britain are subject to far more transparancy than their colleagues in other countries, the line in Britain between monies spent on public and private duties is quite clear. This is not the case in a lot of other countries. I get sick of reading about the Bee Gees giving their house to the Blairs for the week, so what ?

Also, while Tony Blair is a wealthy man I'm not sure he's reached the level where he can shell out approaching £40,000 on flights for a family of 6 without batting an eyelid, with the number of holidays he takes this would get expensive....

To conclude, the whole thing is a non event.

PAXboy
22nd Jan 2007, 20:54
SXBYou're wrong Paxboy. Both BA and the travelling public see BA as the national flag carrier.
You're wrong SXB (just though that I would be as direct as you) and you then go on to confirm that I am right. "... travelling public see BA ..." Indeed they do but that doesn't mean that they are a flag carrying airline.

The fact that the govt. doesn't actually own them is irrelevant, nationalised industry is a thing of the past in the UK. When people see BA they see Britain.
Indeed they do and I understand that perfectly. VS also 'carry the flag' and I dare say that BMI do as well in some small representation of the Union flag on their a/c but none of them are flag carriers.

I'm not sure why you're so hung about this particluar subject, it sounds like something you'd read in the tabloid press, who probably give a slanted view.
I am only 'hung up' about facts and I was taking the opportunity to remind readers that the UK does not have an Olympic or SAA any more. I have never read about this in the tabloids as I do not read them but have seen broadsheets make the mistake. I suspect that the tabloids would label BA as the flag carrier as it would then be easier for them to throw muck.

Also, while Tony Blair is a wealthy man I'm not sure he's reached the level where he can shell out approaching £40,000 on flights for a family of 6 without batting an eyelid, with the number of holidays he takes this would get expensive....
In which case - he should stop taking so many holidays, or not have had such a large family, but abusing his position to gain preferment and personal financial gain is not a good example to give.

SXB
22nd Jan 2007, 21:30
You're wrong SXB (just though that I would be as direct as you) and you then go on to confirm that I am right. "... travelling public see BA ..." Indeed they do but that doesn't mean that they are a flag carrying airline.

I'm not wrong, why do you think Tony Blair chooses BA so often ? Because they are seen, and are, the flag carrier of the UK. BA's bases are mainly in Britain, their staff are mainly British, their route network is based around British airports. To argue that BA is not the flag carrying airline of the UK simply because thay are no longer nationalised is clearly baseless. To back this up further can you imagine the the reaction of the press if the Prime Minister of the UK had arrived in the US after being carried by American Airlines ?

Also, you cannot compare airlines like Virgin and BMI to BA. These are small airlines with very limited route networks whilst BA is one of the worlds largest airlines (for the moment....) serving destinations all over the world.

I have never voted for the Labour in my life but if you have a particular gripe with TB or his party and the way he/they conduct themselves then I would suggest that you exercise your democratic right and vote for somebody else. If BA decide to give him an upgrade then that's up to them, I suspect the shareholders would have been even more upset if BA hadn't given him an upgrade.

PAXboy
23rd Jan 2007, 13:43
Dear, oh dear, SXB, where did all that come from? I do not deny that everyone thinks BA is a flag carrier and was making a mildly pedantic point of view.
No, I was not comparing BA to VS and BD, other than in the respect of the image of the Union flag used for marketing purposes.
Yes, I know why the British PM (this and previous) use BA.
No, I am not making a political point but an ethical one.
Yes, I know that I can choose not to vote for this political party at the next election (if I had ever voted for them)
I have NO argument with the BA decision to upgrade him and his family, it is his cynical presumption that they would, that I highlight.
BA shareholders can do as they please, I am not one.

Shall we let it drop?

SXB
23rd Jan 2007, 14:08
Yes, let's drop it but expect people to react when you speak about 'correcting' their posts

PAXboy
23rd Jan 2007, 22:43
I expected an exchange of views and that is what we had.