PDA

View Full Version : Booking domestic from outside the country.

PAXboy
19th Jan 2007, 02:04
Can you advise if any of the carriers allow me to book internal flights from the UK - online?

My guess is that Comair would be fine as I am BA Exec club and I could go to SAA next time I'm in London - but what about the LCCs? I could ask a member of the family to do it but it woul dbe easier to do it myself with the credit card that I will present when checking in.

Thanks.
:)

Solid Rust Twotter
19th Jan 2007, 05:07
Can't see any problems with that.

Deskjocky
19th Jan 2007, 06:25
You can book flights within South Africa on flysaa.com - either the UK or the SA site, same prices only the UK one will list in GBP. choose e-ticketing and bring your credit car to the airport when you check-in. Pretty sure Mango will accept UK cards too.

Kittycat
19th Jan 2007, 12:29
I know Nationwide only accept SA credit cards at this moment. I am sure you can book tickets with the low cost airlines, just be sure that you take your credit card with the day you travel, as they can deny you boarding if you dont have it.
KC

tired
19th Jan 2007, 22:22
Kulula accept non-SA credit cards on their website. I think 1Time do, too.

Snake man
20th Jan 2007, 17:38
Hi PAXboy

I travel between Jo'burg and Cape Town regularly. I've tried most of the carriers, just to compare each, and strongly recommend BAComair. Good value for money, friendly staff, and the check in counters are the quickest by far. Just log on to the BA website and fill in the route you want. Non SA credit cards accepted, choose your own seat if you have a preference, and Bob's your uncle. I think there's even a way to do your check in on-line within 24 hours of departure, but I tried that one yet.
Good luck.

SM.

Globaliser
21st Jan 2007, 16:59
My guess is that Comair would be fine as I am BA Exec club and I could go to SAA next time I'm in London - but what about the LCCs?As you've had confirmation about BA and Kulula, here's one little wrinkle which you may get some value from: If you're not particularly concerned about earning a paltry number of BA Miles on a discounted economy fare on these domestics, there are some Kulula flights that sold on aircraft operated on the BA franchise. You're looking for 4-digit MN flight numbers where the digits and flight times match the 4-digit BA flight numbers. That way, you can get a bit of a discount from the BA fare but still fly on a BA aircraft with the BA franchise service level.

PAXboy
21st Jan 2007, 18:08
Many thanks for all. The last time I was out (four years ago) Kulula did not allow online with non-ZA plastic.

GlobesThanks - most interesting tip. I shall now start to search as travel is the Thursday before good Friday and I only arriv ein the country that morning. If it had been non-peak time, I would just have turned up at JNB and taken the best offer.

PAXboy
28th Jan 2007, 16:51
OK, all looks clear now. Since I do not usually arrive and connect straight on down, may I presume that ...

Due arrive Int: 06:55 and that unless that sector is hideously delayed, that a domestic dpparture of 10:30/45 should be reasonable?

I am supposing up to 90 mins to get through to landside (08:30) and then two hours in hand for walking through and checking in gives me contingency. These will be separate tickets not linked.

Globaliser
28th Jan 2007, 20:57
Due arrive Int: 06:55 and that unless that sector is hideously delayed, that a domestic dpparture of 10:30/45 should be reasonable?You should be fine. The published BA connections at JNB to DUR this season, for example, are 0645-0900 and 0850-1115, so I doubt you will have any problems unless there is some unusual hiccup.

That's assuming that you're connecting at JNB. I haven't connected at CPT myself but it looks like it should be easier than JNB.

PAXboy
28th Jan 2007, 21:49
Thanks Globes, yes it is a JNB connection. I had wanted to Open Jaws to CPT so as to save the extra sector and fare but, when travelling on FFMs, there are always limited options. The quantity of flights/seats to CPT is not yet matching demand. However, the connection is not too arduous - I remember doing it about ten years ago.

Globaliser
29th Jan 2007, 19:46
However, the connection is not too arduous ...The single most difficult thing in the connection is persuading the armies of boiler-suited porters, who are all itching to carry your suitcase from the international terminal to the domestic terminal, to leave you alone! :)

tired
29th Jan 2007, 22:21
Pax- a 0655 arrival? You must be flying VS - good lad :)
You'll easily make a 1030 departure from JNB, I often make the 0900 SAA flight to CPT. (Though I would hesitate to try that on a non-refundable full fare ticket!)
Regarding LHR-CPT direct, I think VS have got seats on that sector right up until they stop flying the route on about 25 April. Don't know what the fares are like, but if it saves a schlepp through JNB might it be worth it?
t

Edited to say, I've just read your previous posts a bit more thoroughly and I see that you're a BA Exec Club member, so unlikely to be flying VS! So disregard all my ramblings above, other than the one that says you'll easily make the 1030 dep ex-JNB! Sorry, as I get older the thing I seem to miss the most is my mind.................:hmm:

PAXboy
29th Jan 2007, 23:37
Dear tired, thank you for feedback and the 'ps'.
Yes - I am BA Exec but also VS Flying Club
Yes - I am on VS on this occasion
Yes - VS have seats on the CPT run in April
No - VS have no FFM seats for CPT in April - only the cash kind!
Yes - we are booked on the Comair 10:40 as the price was only R9 per seat more than MN and we will get a handful of Miles.
Yes - I was able to book with a UK card but not using an AmEx card online, that would have required a phone call and I could not be bothered for the few extra BA miles that would have generated. So used VISA that generates AirMiles!As it happens, I wanted to use BA for this trip, as I have enough FFMs to go Club but there was no availability to suit our dates. :sad: So we are on VS Premium Economy, which I like well enough but BA Club would have been nice! I only discovered too late that Easter is in April and that is one of the reasons why FFM seats were taken early. My travelling companion has only ever travelled in pure Y before, so I am looking forward to seeing her enjoy PE.

Globes The porters!! Yes, I had forgotten as it is some nine years since I made this connection, normally I start the trip with my sister in Pretoria and just trundle the case straight out to her car, easily ignoring them. But, perhaps I should start my holiday by being generous?

It's the not the ideal time of year to be going but there were so many external factors to consider. I have not been in ZA in April since 1974, so I hope it will be pleasant weather.

Globaliser
31st Jan 2007, 19:17
The porters!! Yes, I had forgotten as it is some nine years since I made this connection, normally I start the trip with my sister in Pretoria and just trundle the case straight out to her car, easily ignoring them. But, perhaps I should start my holiday by being generous?The last couple of times, I've very deliberately said no and done it myself. It's helped that I have now a very good wheelie suitcase - it's easier to pull it than to put it on a trolley and push - so it is absolutely obvious that I don't need any help whatsoever.

I do feel a small twinge of guilt, but only for a short while ... :)

PAXboy
17th Mar 2007, 13:47
Having booked up the Comair JNB~CPT connection (thanks to those who advised) I have now been told by VS that they have moved their departure forward by 90 minutes. :mad:

Thus my careful plan of a three and a half hour transit has been cut almost in half. But, naturally, there is no come back and there is still time enough on paper for the transit at two hours 'wheels-to-wheels'. Of course, it only needs 30 mins late of of EGLL and a ten minute wait for the stand at FAJS and we shall lose the flights.

Academic question: If we miss the connection, are Comair any good at rebooking such without too great a penalty? The complication is availability, as this will be Thursday 5th April, the day before the Easter weekend. We are now due in at 08:30 and out 10:30 but I see that Comair have another eight rotations after that.

AND (I'm going to add this just to complete the Whingeing Pom moment) The only reason we are travelling visa FAJS is because I could not get FFM seats to FACT within a one month period on either BA or VS. :*

PAXboy
28th Mar 2007, 03:10
Rather than starting another thread, I'll add in here an automated post from Kulula. I needed to ask a question of them and used their Website Feedback form and expected an email reply. I got this:

Shew! It seems everyone has had enough of 2007 and is desperate to get away. Our bookings are flying, and we are taking a record amount of sales so we’ve had to turn off our feedback section during this period. Unfortunately we won’t be able to help you out with your enquiry right now, but we will be back up and running next week.

Unique identifier (please do not delete this): F6024C79-17BE-43F4-B0EE-8F5F3D550BC9

If you cannot handle feedback - then don't ask for it. :=
You stupid children, you just lost a booking. :*

PAXboy
2nd Apr 2007, 12:16
Sorry to keep adding but I though you might find this amusing. Out of the blue, 'feedback' at Kulula have sent me this:

Hi kulula.com fan
I have checked all the airport codes, airline codes and city codes, and cannot find where FAJS or FALA and FACT are. Please advise where you are traveling from and to so we can assist you with your query!

Bye for now
kulula.com

Since I made the first enquire 12 days ago, and they still do not understand the question, you can imagine that I am not really a 'Kulula.com fan' any more. :ugh: