PDA

View Full Version : C152 to PA28 - Your thoughts?

Bankstownboy
19th Jan 2007, 01:47
Yes I did do a search before any of y'all ask. But nothing too fruitful turned up.

Anyway, at this pre GFPT stage of my training I'm just tossing up the idea of possibly moving from the trusty 152 to a PA28 Warrior. So any thoughts or advice you could give on the matter would be appreciated. Also, I'm presuming they're essentially the same to handle? Apart from the ground effect thing of course...

Lasiorhinus
19th Jan 2007, 02:24
The Warrior is far more comfortable to fly... more legroom, two seats in the back for your flightbag, lunch, or an extra passenger (or two, if theyre kids) when you have your GFPT and want to take your friends and family on scenics.

It will take you about an hour to get used to the different feel, but the very first circuit you'll appreciate the increased visibility in turns.

its a little heavier than the 152, but most of them have engines to compensate. Theyre probably a little more expensive than 152s, too, but if you can afford the difference, i'd highly recommend flying the 4 seater whenever you can. The extra room makes all the difference on long navexes..

BrokenConrod
19th Jan 2007, 03:02
Do it!

It will be good expereince for you, and you will feel like you are flying a real aeroplane.

BC:8

And before anyone jumps down my throat, I learnt in a C150 and probably have more time in Cessnas than anything else.

milkbottle
19th Jan 2007, 05:23
Hi Bankstownboy,

If you want lots of room go for the boeing option. To your comment "same to handle" obviously when you get a few hours under your belt you will discover how bollocks that sounds. At the end of the day I'd recommend you keep tossing up for a while, and something fruity will definitely turn up.

\regards, milkbottle

jbr76
19th Jan 2007, 05:57
Anyway, at this pre GFPT stage of my training I'm just tossing up the idea of possibly moving from the trusty 152 to a PA28 Warrior.

You've summed it up right there basically ...

"pre gfpt stage" - Id be sticking with an ab initio trainer like the c152 until you get more experience/hours under your belt, as a c152 and PA28 are very different aircraft in terms of handling characteristics and hourly rate $$$

A PA28 warrior is something more suited to post GFPT/pre PPL training, as you are more likely to be doing long navex's etc.

It'd be a hefty price at the end of 1.0's worth of circuits in a PA28 :rolleyes:

das Uber Soldat
19th Jan 2007, 06:51
C152 is by far the better ab initio training aircraft (apart from its nasty wingdrop stall tendency). Stick with that until you have your GFPT.

Once you get your GFPT, step up to the warriors. You need to learn to adjust to a faster aircraft (you're not going to fly a 152 forever), plus warriors and archers offer advantages that are very useful in that phase of your training.

Far increased range, so you can do your Canberra nav without refuelling (which is now turning into a nightmare unless you have their special carnet card), you get experience operating a fuel system, more room for your maps, increased TAS to actually get somewhere, usually more avionics and comms to practice on, easier to taxi.

The 152 is better for ab init because it has much better 'feel' in the elevator, which can be quite jerky in a PA28, so its better to learn to trim in. Easier to land a 152, they're stronger, the attitudes are easy to remember, less overwhelming comms and avionics, cheaper obviously and you can see behind you which is handy to make sure you're climbing out on the extended centreline early on.

Bankstownboy
19th Jan 2007, 08:24
Cheers for the info so far guys.

In reply to the 1 hour of circuits costing a ****load in the PA28, well I'm almost ready for my AREA solo so I assure you nuffin' will be wasted on going round in rectangles for 60 minutes.

Also, back in the day, I did my TIF in a Warrior and the only reason I'm a 152 guy these days is of course due to the Moolah$$$ involved. So yeah after I'm done with the GFPT I'll definitely put some thought into making the switch.

Once again thanks peeps for ya help!

The Messiah
20th Jan 2007, 01:56
Be sure to complete the Empire Test Pilots School qualification first and some aeronautical engineering as the jump to the Warrior is a huge leap.

The fact that there is no strut to step onto to check the fuel can be a real problem for midgets which is why why it is more popular with dwarf throwers than throwees.

People to talk to would be Chuck Yeager, Niel Armstrong and 'Blackjack Walker', as I remember reading about similar challenges they faced in their books.

Personally.......go by bicycle.

4SPOOLED
21st Jan 2007, 02:14
Nothing against a PA28 as they are a nice aircraft, use your training to get experience on types you will fly in your first job. Chances are if you go the charter route that you will end up flying 172/182/210 so once you have your GFPT jump into a 172 and complete your PPL. If you can, do it in a 172rg so you can accuire your CSU and retrac, even though they are, a gutless peice of crud. If you can fly a 182 for your comm training or if you have the coin and can get a 210 that can be flown with the insurance issues, do it! If you are going the instructor route then a PA28 wouldn't be too bad, infact the more types you are familier with the better.

4S

Kickatinalong
21st Jan 2007, 07:03
Stick to your C152 or C150 until you finish your GFPT. Then do the conversion to the P28A, as for doing it in 1 hour you would have to be very switched on (not many are) stalling is a piece of cake in the warrior as against the Cessna, steep turns are different, forced landings are again different and you have not even got over to 11R or 29L yet, I would expect students to take at least 2 hrs, don't be in a hurry to change if you wish PM me and we will talk.
good luck !
Kickatinalong.:ok:

pall
21st Jan 2007, 16:30
I think the Warrior is charming. I did all by training to PPL in C152 & C172. Later at about 120hrs I converted to the Warrior II.
It is really different. Feels more stable in the air. Takes more input to get it to do anything. Landing is easy. The round out is not as pronounced as in the Cessnas. They don't float like the 172 does. You can do a lovely landing if you hold off as you would the 172.
Most people I have flown with, who fly low wing ac seem to do a heavier landing than I would in the Cessna. If you put a Cessna down heavy like that it would just bounce back up. Once the Warrior is wheels on it stays on. Seems to take a lot of stopping. The Cessna lands and rolls to a stop with greater ease.
The Warrior uses more fuel per hour than the 172 which adds to cost. Still, a great aircraft to fly. Best for a trip away in varied conditions. I would much rather fly the Warrior in rough conditions. Crosswind landings are easy in them too. :ok:

das Uber Soldat
21st Jan 2007, 18:17
Yeah mate stay well clear of the PA28 if you're taking the huge leap from a C150/C152, just as well to go off to Flight Safety in the states and do a 747 rating instead, be prepared it's an absolute animal and you'll need to be thinking 30 minutes ahead, and if you are flying out of BK you'll wanna make sure you're getting the beast slowed down well before 2RN or PSP if you're out in the training area inbound, it's a slippery devil!!

Its a big change for most students.

Cyclone Bob
21st Jan 2007, 18:27
I have instructed in both many moons ago. I reckon the C152 is the better trainer. The PA28 is just too benign in the handling department-not that the 152 will chew you up, mind... it's about now I get nostalgic about the Tomahawk:sad: sigh...now there's a trainer!

RogerRamjet01
22nd Jan 2007, 00:08
My Two Bobs worth..

I did up to and including GFPT in 152, then with that out of the road stepped up to PA28 for training to PPL/CPL.

If you are going on to PPL and beyond then I would say that the stop to PA28 or similar is probably almost necessary - i have never tried to do Navs in a 152 but i would imagine the cockpit would be pretty cluttered if you tried to do so, what with maps and nav equipment.

If you dont intend to go to PPL then I suppose its up to you but the added cockpit room certainly makes for more comfortable flying, particularly as I am not a small bloke.. I personally found the flare to be quite different compared to 152 - the touch down is somewhat firmer, i think, being a heavier aircraft and not havign springy leaf undercarriage - but that said, once on the ground the warrior handing is i think more positive, probably for the exact same reason.

Of course the PA28 has generally greater utility than the 152 - 4 seats, more fuel etc.

Hope that helps, good luck with the GFPT!

Cheers

RR.

Wheeler
22nd Jan 2007, 03:11
Get all of the variety you can during your training. Warrior is different but not really that much more challenging - and maybe easier in some ways, like crosswinds.

jbr76
22nd Jan 2007, 06:05
it's about now I get nostalgic about the Tomahawk:sad: sigh...now there's a trainer!
Oh man .. the filthy T word .. I can only sum up the T word nicely:-
Piper Traumahawk.
Stay well clear ...:eek:

Cyclone Bob
22nd Jan 2007, 16:44
Go easy on the Rat**** Hatchet. It hasn't killed that many people. :}

M14_P
22nd Jan 2007, 20:26
Just go get rated on a tidy 172 and use that. I am not bias in any sense of the word. :rolleyes:

Capt Wally
22nd Jan 2007, 20:54
.......the only advantage to a PA28 over the Cessna series is that you can if push came to shove pull on a couple of clicks of instant flap during the take off roll (should you get caught out with trees that may have grown a little since you started yr T/O roll) & do a Linda Blair act (see Exorcist movie) raise majestically into the air, other than that stick with the high wing. The advantageas are numerous..............instant shade, something needed at the Birdsville Races for Eg. More access door wise, better cabin airlfow, better viewing for scenics (all sticky beak operators use 'em up nth) & the fuel runs via gravity from both tanks at once too!, KISS method is always the best in aviation:-)

capt Wally

p.s..........did all my training on C 150/2 & C172's but found the PA28 better purely 'cause it had an extra switch to fiddle with called a fuel pump, loved the extra challenge:-)

Victim Air
23rd Jan 2007, 05:59
Cannot over state the shade factor and air flow. The Worry is bloody hot in mid summer, a sweat box. Wait until winter, which may suit your training as well.

Victim Air
24th Jan 2007, 00:52
It all looked good Dr.O....until you got to the one four six.