PDA

View Full Version : Back-up to DVD

Tosh McCaber
18th Jan 2007, 22:07
I am trying to save a back-up copy DVD of a DVD movie that I own. The original DVD started off life as a video_ts file, when I viewed its properties on the computer. I used DVD Decrypter, which produced a .iso file. I then used DVD Shrink to compress it to DVD maximum size, and burned the compressed .iso file to a DVD disk. The resulting (.iso) disk plays fine on the computer, but not on my domestic DVD player attached to the television.
I'm sure that I followed this procedure before and it worked, but have hit a wall this time.
Can anyone give any advice?
Thanks,
Tosh

Keef
18th Jan 2007, 22:25
Why would you change it to something else? I've backed up the (few) videos I don't want to lose by doing a straight copy of them. The copies work perfectly.

extreme P
18th Jan 2007, 22:55
Sounds like a region code problem.

Your procedure is sound but a little lengthy. A free decryptor called DVD43 with 1ClickCopy is literally one click and a perfect copy is done.

Devlin Carnet
19th Jan 2007, 08:08
Mmm.I thought DVD decryptor removes region coding.

Devlin Carnet
19th Jan 2007, 16:42
Tosh,
What size was the original, if it was under 4.4 gig you could, as has been suggested, do a straight copy.
I use shrink to remove unwanted menus, and foreign subtitles etc.
but if you have 100% in the compression box you are OK.
you could copy the Video_ts straight over too as a data file I think I've done that in the past.

BOAC
19th Jan 2007, 17:15
You did 'finalise' didn't you?

spannersatcx
19th Jan 2007, 19:28
and burned the compressed .iso file to a DVD disk.

Are you saying that on the DVD R is an .iso file and only an .iso file. If so it would never play on a DVD player.

The folders on a DVD are VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS. In the VIDEO_TS folder are the files that make up the movie and menu's etc, they would be Video_TS.BUP, .VOB and .IFO, then VTS_01.BUP and .ifo and then VTS_01_0.VOB and VTS_01_1.VOB etc etc etc

The .VOB files contain the actual video and audio data, not to mention subtitles, extra viewing angles, pretty much everything you see and hear. They are up to a gigabyte in size and are numbered sequentially.

The .IFO files contain information about the .VOB files. Your DVD player will use these to locate and sequence the video and audio, figure out where each chapter begins and ends, etc. The .BUP files are backups of the .IFO files.

The VIDEO_TS.IFO and .VOB files are the first items that the DVD player will access, and generally contain the menu, at least in the case of home-authored DVDs.

Tosh McCaber
21st Jan 2007, 11:18
Thanks for the replies. I have to apologise- I've found the problem.

On this occasion, I used DVD Decrypter first, which produced a large decrypted VIDEO_TS file. I then used DVD Shrink to compress it to DVD maximum size. When I pressed "Back-up" on DVD Shrink, it gave the option of a. iso file output.

However, I've just realised that this is a pull down box, with options, one being to "Save to hard disk". I remembered that this was the option I had always used in the past, and produces a compressed VIDEO_TS file for burning. Tried it, and eveything worked the way it should- a backup that will play on my domestic DVD player.

I lent a friend my laptop, on which the programme is mounted, over the past few weeks- I suspect that he may have been playing with the programme, and left the ".iso" option rather than "Hard Disk". I shall have a word with him!

Thanks for the replies anyway- they were very informative.

One question- whilst I can see the need to turn a .iso into a VIDEO_TS file, I've seen requests in forums by people wanting to turn a VIDEO_TS into a .iso file. What would be the reason for this? Does anyone know what they would want with the .iso file?

Devlin Carnet
22nd Jan 2007, 08:16
Hi,
An .ISO is a disc image which can be burned using most DVD burning programs.
Everything which is on a disc including Menus, subtititles etc can be extracted as an iso.

Tosh McCaber
22nd Jan 2007, 08:54
If that's the case, should I have been able to burn the .iso file to a VIDEO_TS file for viewing on my TV DVD player? I didn't see anything in Nero to be able to do this.

Devlin Carnet
22nd Jan 2007, 15:28
Yes, if you burn the iso it will burn everything that was originally created within,
Nero burning Rom will burn .ISO's I think, but I use Discjuggler or Alcohol.
there is also another image file, I think it is a .img.