PDA

View Full Version : new hire questions...

apparent wanderer
18th Jan 2007, 20:02
sorry to barge in on your board. I'm a candidate who's been offered a position in North America- New York. I have a question for those of you who commute.
How commutable are your trips? I mean, are you coming in the day before and getting a hotel? maybe a crash pad? When you return to base, can you catch a flight out that day, or are you getting another hotel and flying out the next day?
I know there's no jumpseating, you have to buy your tickets or risk it with an id90.
How many people actually commute this way?

Numero Crunchero
18th Jan 2007, 22:59
I used to be based in Australia in one city and commuted to another. I would say about half of all CX basees commute. Only you can answer the question on commuting. Depends on your personal stress levels. If there are plenty of flights just before CX flight, buy a fully refundable full fare on last flight on one carrier, then ID90 on earlier flight with another carrier. This will keep you from losing your job should you end up missing CX flight due weather etc. CX will still get sh#ty with you though.

We are currently voting on new rostering practices. If the vote passes there are some helpful basee items that are too lengthy to explain here. Bottom line is you shouldn't have to go to NY to do reserves very often. I have always found crew control to be very flexible with where I did reserve.
Good luck on your course

Five Green
19th Jan 2007, 10:30
Wanderer:

Commuting in N Amreica is doable. Provided you do not live to far from N. York. In the past the rosters were ok. Everything is subject to change here at CX.

The problem at the moment is you may get minimal days off between patterns. ie N. York-Anc-New York (4 day pattern) then 2 days off then NewYork-ANC-HKG-ANC-NYC then five days off (7 maybe 8 day pattern), then start again. So you could be away (worst case) for 11 or 12 days. However that is offset by getting better months of two out and backs (no regional). So as long as 15 days at home or so is ok and you are fine with not being able to control which 15, it is a do-able commute.
The biggest worry is winter weather. If it gets crappy you got to go a day or two ahead and probably have to buy full fair. Only happens once or twice a year on average.

The best thing about the roster, is that when you make it on to the pax roster it gets considerably better !! Also no disruptions and you get home when your rosters says you will !!

Good Luck.

FG

Kane Toed
19th Jan 2007, 12:55
...and probably have to buy fukk fair. Is that the correct term for the CX staff travel scheme? :)

Five Green
20th Jan 2007, 10:21
That still works !! Fixed de oops !!

FG