PDA

View Full Version : BA Probationary Points System - please help!

c_hostie
18th Jan 2007, 20:00
I'm wondering if anyone can help, I've been with BA for 4 months and have been late to work a couple of times as I was caught up behind accidents. Does anyone know if we get points for being late whilst online, and would my contract be terminated because of this? I'm so worried about losing my job over this. :confused:

Glamgirl
18th Jan 2007, 22:14
Hi there,

As far as I know, the points system only applies to your initial training course. When you're late for your report time, the best thing to do is to phone the ops desk and let them know what's happening. Then, when you get your crewlink message about being late, go to your pm and tell them what happened. If traffic is bad due to accidents, the company will know about it, as other crew will be late too. You can't be sacked for being late a couple of times. You may be called for a chat with your pm to find out why you were late, and it could possibly delay your wings course. Don't worry too much about it though, just concentrate on getting your assessments done and don't forget to book the pre-wings meeting with your pm. They're very "busy" at the moment, so the sooner you book the better.

sammyjayne
18th Jan 2007, 22:21
i have been online now for 3 months and i still need to get 2 assessments done, when do i book my 'pre' wings meeting with my pm, after i have got all 5 assessments or just before my actual wings course? thanks :O

Glamgirl
18th Jan 2007, 23:11
I'd recommend for you to book your meeting after 4 months online, as you may have to wait a while for an appointment. Try to get your last couple of assessments done asap (I'll do one for you if we fly together - I'm doing them every other day at the moment). Remember to get your purser to mail drop you a copy in case they go "missing" in the system. Then at least you can prove they've been done. HTH

flybywire
18th Jan 2007, 23:32
Hi there,

As far as I know, the points system only applies to your initial training course.

Not entirely true I am afraid.....I had the unpleasant task of having to sort out some paperwork for a person who had been a bit "naughty" during the course and 3 months along had other behavioural issues, so the TDM and their PM are/were going to meet to see what's going to happen as you're still on probabtion and could have your contract terminated if fail to reach the "desired standards".

Having said that I do not really know what the procedure is for lateness though as I myself have never been late, I know though that there's a formal procedure if it happens frequently and it closely monitored. How it works though I do not know. Best thing to do is to ask your PM!!!

Glamgirl
18th Jan 2007, 23:43
Fair enough to give out points to crew who've got behavioural problems and getting themselves in trouble. However, the lateness thing is different and I reckon that if it was an issue, c_hostie would've been contacted by pm already. Basically if you're late more than twice in 3 months, you get called in for a chat (first informal). If you're late again (3rd time) within the next 3 months, you'll get called in for a meeting (first formal). I don't know if this is still exactly the same procedure, but this is what's happened to me in the past (yes, I'm a naughty girl but I'm rubbish on earlies).

c_hostie
19th Jan 2007, 21:51
Thanks a lot for your help guys, I have sent an email to my PM explaining my reasons for being late and also apologising for it. I think thats the best thing to do at the moment and I haven't been called in to discuss it yet. But soon I am going to make my appointment for my review, I still have 2 IFA's to do though!!

Glamgirl
21st Jan 2007, 14:14
Well done for emailing your pm, I'm sure if he/she thought your lateness was a problem you'd know already, so please try not to worry. Actually, I've got to go for a meeting soon about my lateness, but then again, I've been a very naughty girl... Oops :O

In regards to your IFA's, just ask the purser on your next few flights. Especially new pursers have to do them to get past their development programme. If you're doing a lot of shorthaul at the moment I'd recommend that you go no4 (if you're lucky enough to have 4). If there's only 3 crew, and light loads in Club, the purser could send the other crew member to work in Club and then come and work with you on a sector. That's how I get round it anyway. And it works especially well on domestics... Good luck, I'll do an IFA on you if you'd like, no problem. :)