PDA

View Full Version : Largest single engine piston aircraft up to 5700kg?

DB6
18th Jan 2007, 15:38
The question has been asked over on the private flying forum, and I don't have the answer but I know you will. What is the largest (wingspan and/or length) single engined piston aircraft it is possible to fly with a vanilla PPL - weight limit 5700 kg? Offers are Gyppsland Caravan or An-2 so far.....

treadigraph
18th Jan 2007, 15:49
Not an historic, but I believe the Pilatus PC-12 can be flown within the limitations of a PPL.

Not sure on facts and figures without some reference material handy but, off the top of my head, heavyweight historic singles that are candidates for research include AN-2, Grumman Avenger, Grumman Guardian, Douglas Skyraider.

Also the Grob Egrett research aircraft has a fairly formidable wingspan and might qualify?

con-pilot
18th Jan 2007, 16:08
My money is on the Douglas Skyraider. As I know of someone who owns and flys one on a PPL.

(Well, for the US anyway.)

robiemartin
18th Jan 2007, 16:26
:ok: Just want to give honorable mention to the DHC-3 Otter, though I know the AN-2 is larger and heavier. Don't know about the others mentioned. The Otter was not a heavy aircraft for it's size. Lots of cabin volume, they used the same fuselage for the Twin Otter.

Ayres Aircraft in the U.S. made a whopping single that was intended for the express freight market. Don't think they landed many orders. Not sure if it required a type-rating or not.

I assume by "vanilla PPL" we're talking no type-ratings? A private pilot in the U.S. can get typed in a 747 if they want, simply a matter of $$$!

treadigraph
18th Jan 2007, 17:50
Sorry, just re-read your question - piston! Doh, so the PC-12 and Egrett are out!

Robie, the Ayers aircraft was turbine as well wasn't it? Did it ever get beyond the paper stage? I can recall artist's impressions in Fedex colours.

Loki
18th Jan 2007, 18:23
Couple of British contenders.

Fairey Spearfish (4 prototypes built) 60ft wingspan, 15200 lbs empty/ 21000 lbs max. ooops, too heavy.

Westland Wyvern.....piston engined in original form I think. (probably over your limit too)

Neither of course exist anymore........ummmm, back to drawing board.

Are there any IL2s about? Might have a problem getting a C of A.

robdesbois
18th Jan 2007, 18:39
I assume by "vanilla PPL" we're talking no type-ratings? A private pilot in the U.S. can get typed in a 747 if they want, simply a matter of $$$!

Isn't it the case that the majority of multi-engine jet aircraft are not single-pilot rated (one exception being the sexy Citation CJ1+, purrr) and since you cannot gain a multi-crew rating without CPL (again, am I making this up?) you wouldn't be able to get a TR on 747.

Anyone able to confirm or correct this?
--rob

treadigraph
18th Jan 2007, 18:55
There are some IL-2 remains, none airworthy, but who knows for the future.

Quick spot of research - the Avenger and Skyraider are both well over 5700kg max weight, but I think squeeze under empty - is the 5700kg limit laden or empty? Couldn't find anything immediately to hand for the Guardian.

Several Avengers and Skyraiders flying in Europe; there was at least one Guardian still flying in the US, not sure of its current status.

There is a RR Eagle psiton-powered Wyvern in the RNAS museum at Yeovilton - apart from the fact they would never let it slip their fingers (FB11 have you tried prising?) I'm not sure that it actually has an engine! I don't think it ever flew either...

Loki
18th Jan 2007, 19:11
I`ve been looking at some max weights, one which caught my eye was the North American T28 at 8500lbs. Perhaps there`s something heavier but less than 12500lbs.

The Trojan of course has the advantage of being available, given sufficient funds.

DB6
18th Jan 2007, 19:27
Sorry, by vanilla I meant with only a single engine piston class rating, so anything requiring a type rating (turboprops or 747s etc.) is out. 5700 kgs is the MTOW so empty weights don't count.
An-2 MTOW is 5500 kg so it's in, wingspan is 59'8". Skyraider is 5,486 empty, more than twice that loaded so it's out.

'Chuffer' Dandridge
18th Jan 2007, 19:31
AFAIK, the 5700kg weight limit went out with JAA, so technically, you can fly any SEP on a PPL. The Skyraider, T28 and Corsair are all (I think) over 5700kg..and flown by PPLs in the UK

chevvron
18th Jan 2007, 19:38
There was a thing called an Evangel, but it may have been over 5700.

treadigraph
18th Jan 2007, 20:11
The Evangel (http://www.airbum.com/pireps/PirepEvangel.html)was a twin... Dare I say it? Think the Turbo Porter is prettier! Just... :}

seacue
19th Jan 2007, 10:56
The Ayers aircraft proposed for FedEx was a twin geared to a single prop. I suppose they expected to get single-pilot operation. I don't think it got beyond the photo mockup stage, though I know someone who was doing an accessory for the engine or gearbox.

robiemartin
19th Jan 2007, 19:35
Sorry, just re-read your question - piston! Doh, so the PC-12 and Egrett are out!
Robie, the Ayers aircraft was turbine as well wasn't it? Did it ever get beyond the paper stage? I can recall artist's impressions in Fedex colours.

I also spaced out the "piston" part when I thought of the Ayers and, that's right, it wasn't even a single!:O

BTW, Max T/O weight for the DHC-3 Otter was 3,629 kg. If memory serves me correctly (no guarantees) we could operate it up to 4170 kg FAR 135 in Alaska, but of course that throws out the PPL requirement!

larssnowpharter
27th Jan 2007, 12:07
One forgets the Uk rules but - with an SLMG ticket - you could fly an ASH 25e which has a 25 meter span.