PDA

View Full Version : Cubana Pilots..lowest paid airline pilots?

CUB181
18th Jan 2007, 14:16
I just got back from Cuba and I made friends with a pilot. In our flight back to CYYZ I asked him about his salary and I was impressed by the number that came out of his mouth.

He flies 4 times a week to Toronto and he makes 100 US a week only when flies those 4 days. He usually flies 4 times MUHA-CYYZ when working. I'm starting to suspect that Cubana pilots are the lowest paid airline pilot. Can anyone input on this, is there a smaller number than this in any weekly airline pilot's paycheck?

Panama Jack
18th Jan 2007, 15:54
Befriended a retired Cubana pilot last May when I spent a few days in Havanna. Got the same impression. Actually, by Cuban standards, Cubana pilots do fairly well when actively flying, because of the per-diems they also receive. However, retirement is the beginning of financial hardship (like the type that most Cubans live) with a monthly pension of (if I remember correctly, in the double digits (maybe about $80 USD per month). He supplements his meager pension having adopted painting aviation-inspired art.

I get the impression that this is pretty typical of many of the old Communist-bloc countries.

There is an interesting downloadable video shot in a Cubana IL-62 flight deck.

http://www.flightlevel350.com/video_streaming.php?id=4787

CUB181
19th Jan 2007, 00:43
Befriended a retired Cubana pilot last May when I spent a few days in Havanna. Got the same impression. Actually, by Cuban standards, Cubana pilots do fairly well when actively flying, because of the per-diems they also receive. However, retirement is the beginning of financial hardship (like the type that most Cubans live) with a monthly pension of (if I remember correctly, in the double digits (maybe about $80 USD per month). He supplements his meager pension having adopted painting aviation-inspired art.

I get the impression that this is pretty typical of many of the old Communist-bloc countries.

There is an interesting downloadable video shot in a Cubana IL-62 flight deck.

http://www.flightlevel350.com/video_streaming.php?id=4787

My friend there's no one unless is part of the military in Cuba with a retirement pay of 80US dollars per month. I can say that because i have been living in Cuba my whole life. My aunt is a mayor in the Fuerzas Armadas and she makes 500 cuban pesos per month which are equivalent to 20 US dollars per month. (1 dollar + cuban pesos) and she got one of the highest pays in Cuba. Average people like my mom makes 250 pesos which are less than 10US per month.

Although they did not had to pay a cent for their training, it's true that compared to people in Cuba they have an above average salary, which doesn't mean it's good but better than nothing.

Anyhow, I find them to be excellent persons, and kinda old-fashioned pilots very nice and happy for seeing you're interested on their job. Through the flight they kept on telling me stories about their experiences; we had a long but pleasant chat. The thing they regret the most out of their job,is the fact that they don't get to fly many boeings and airbuses, because of the US embargo against Cuba stops that from happening.

My point, they may be the lowest airline pilots paid, but for sure they are nicer and relaxed than others.

Amin
19th Jan 2007, 02:07
Nice clip,

Check out the cockpit:) OLD SCHOOL. Also be aware of captain when he talks with New York Center. Look at his expression when they hand him off.

Panama Jack
19th Jan 2007, 09:55
I think I make the same expression when through with Mumbai Radio on HF. :hmm: