PDA

View Full Version : UK Broadband Cheaper than Dial-Up

ORAC
18th Jan 2007, 07:53
Reuters: Broadband competition drives prices below dial-up

For the first time broadband monthly charges are below those of monthly dial-up packages, a situation brought about by intense competition between traditional ISPs and telecoms providers. The cost of broadband internet connectivity has fallen so sharply in the last year that is now cheaper on average than subscription dial-up access for the first time, figures show.

Dial-up subscribers are now almost certain to cut costs by adopting broadband, irrespective of how services are metered, according to SimplySwitch, the price comparison service. With more than 40 per cent of UK households now connected to broadband and growing, SimplySwitch said dial-up services are effectively being priced out of the market, particularly with the arrival of so-called 'free' broadband services that are being bundled with mobile phone contacts, pay TV packages and landline telephone deals.

Its analysis shows that pay-per-minute dial-up customers who surf the net for just two hours per week could save money by switching to broadband. And almost all internet service providers offer unlimited broadband packages that are cheaper than their equivalent dial-up deals, a key consideration for businesses still picking up the bill for dial-up internet access for home and key workers.

Telewest and NTL customers could save almost £60 pounds per year by switching to broadband from dial-up, while those with Tiscali and AOL (recently acquired by Carphone Warehouse) could save £33 and £12 respectively per annum, according to SimplySwitch.

Karen Darby, founder of SimplySwitch, said: "The advantages of switching from dial-up to broadband are obvious. With an 8Mb connection, broadband is 143 times faster than dial-up. Anyone who ditches dial-up will see a vast improvement to their online experience."

IO540
18th Jan 2007, 11:12
Yeah, right, with a £1/minute "support" line to India, where you have to get them to say everything 3 times before you can understand them (not a joke).

Life's too short for cheap broadband and all the hassles one gets with it.

frostbite
18th Jan 2007, 11:47
If you are on BTs Light User scheme, they won't let you have broadband. In fact I don't think you are supposed to have any internet access (according to them).

BigEndBob
21st Jan 2007, 13:22
I'm with Carphone warehouse TalkTalk.
Had it several months now , can't complain.
Total phone bills gone from £396 to £216 year.
They do try to disconnect you a couple of times a day, but auto redial sorts that out! Getting 2.3mb on their 8mb line. 40GB download limit.
Great for P2P!

PPRuNe Pop
22nd Jan 2007, 06:47
I am still sampling TalkTalk. After the first week, not devoid of problems I have to say, it has settled down and I am pleased. Pleased that I have dumped BT completely and I pleased that my free broadband is giving me 4.5mbps.

The complete package I have with them is saving me over £300 a year! I am chuffed with that.

The only downside is the phone contact. It is the worst I have ever experienced. Mostly because I cannot understand some of them. They do their best but it is sometimes impossible. Its free dialing though, so I ring again until I speak to someone I can understand.

One other point. They have an 0800 number for faults.