PDA

View Full Version : Flight Instructor / AME

MCKES
18th Jan 2007, 04:50
How employable do you think that a grade 3 flight instructor / AME would be ?
Would He / She be more employable than say a G3 Instructor with a bachelor of aviation or another degree ?

das Uber Soldat
18th Jan 2007, 07:56
We've had 5 new instructors start where I work in the last 2 weeks, 3 of them Grade 3's, 2 of them with 0 instructional hours.

Sydney seems the place to go for that first instructing job, melb i get the impression the employers down there want your ATPL's behind you.

good luck.

Zhaadum
18th Jan 2007, 10:21
Bachelor of Aviation is worth ZERO to first job employers. It shows you have determination and smarts, but you are lacking one important ingredient, PRACTICAL EXPERIENCE. A degree is of value later on when you apply to the airlines, but it is not a lot of use in the first instructing job.

This is a catch 22 situation but perservere, and you will get there. Try some of the schools in Perth and Adelaide too. I hear they are in need of instructors.

Z.:ok:

MCKES
18th Jan 2007, 11:38
The question was just a general one im still in school.
What about charter work again Degree or AME which goes further?

Bendo
18th Jan 2007, 11:58
MCKES,

In my experience most larger flying schools like their maintenance done by full-time guys BUT that is an observation, not a rule.

However an AME in a charter operation would be like gold - it is hideously horrendously expensive to send a LAME out to your stranded aircraft because your pilot wouldn't have enough mechanical knowledge to start a lawnmower :ugh:

JimmyReeves
18th Jan 2007, 12:34
MCKS

Having a G3 instructor rating without the above mentioned will not affect your employment chances with some large training schools. If I had a choice between an aviation degree or AME, I would choose the AME....more avenues of employment, just in case things didn't work out.

Cheers

MCKES
19th Jan 2007, 00:07
Thanks very much:)