PDA

View Full Version : Pregnancy and Ramp operations??

apron
17th Jan 2007, 18:06
Hello all,

My wife has recently fallen pregnant which is great news!! She is currently and Airside Ops person and there are a few environmental issues that I have that her employer does not. Weather rader when marsalling........we should all switch it of but sometimes arrive on stand with it on. Radiation to the foetus is a worry. Also noise........they say that the average is 80 db on the airfield and this is ok for prolonged periods but at the top end of the scale, engine starts, this is way above this and I feel may pose a risk!!

Any pointers to legal or basic aviation guidlines would be apprciated.

Ta

pithblot
9th Feb 2007, 13:57
I've got no idea mate, but they are very interesting questions.

When you have finished with the weather radar, do you turn it OFF or leave it STANDBY? What about the tilt - full UP, level or full DOWN?

If my wife was pregnant and working airside I'd want her transfered unless we were convinced that the environment was safe for both the mother and baby. Noise pollution, fumes, stray radiation and the dangers of working with taxing aeroplanes and reversing vehicles make for a hostile environment.

Bending the topic a little....

Does anyone know what there is in AVGAS fumes to be wary of? I met a bloke in Australia who uses a respirator when pumping AVGAS. He said it is to avoid problems caused by the heavy metals and carcinogens in the newer LL varieties. I guess that is another thing for pregnant ladies to consider before working airside?

Cheers

PITHBLOT

Congratulations to you and Mrs Apron - hope all goes well. And remember to put the little Darlin' straight onto the seniority list! :ok: