PDA

View Full Version : Which Airline to Australia?

Atishoo
17th Jan 2007, 17:58
Who should i make my first trip to Australia with?

BA, Qantas, or Singapore Airlines?? Does one have better leg room, in flight entertainment, etc, than the other?

Dunno where to start really.....

Does any of these airlines offer free internal flights within Aus?

Help !!

alangirvan
18th Jan 2007, 06:07
Try Etihad if they have started by the date you want to travel

Newforest
18th Jan 2007, 06:40
My friend has just chosen Malaysian Airlines for price reasons.

Tom Sawyer
18th Jan 2007, 06:46
Virgin Atlantic LHR-HKG-SYD daily best choice. BA maybe on strike, Qantas errr....no. SQ maybe, Emirates maybe, Cathay maybe. Malaysian occasionally.

Tolsti
18th Jan 2007, 07:12
Try Etihad if they have started by the date you want to travel

Have they announced plans for Oz?.. I must have missed it

Dream Land
18th Jan 2007, 10:26
I can recommend Singapore Airlines, great service and about 60 on-demand movies, TV, games and news. That was in economy. :}

Lancelot37
18th Jan 2007, 10:54
My friend has just chosen Malaysian Airlines for price reasons.

I've used B.A., Qantas, Emirates, KLM and Malaysia. But for the last 5 trips it has been Malaysian. No problems with any of them. Check prices.

garthicus
18th Jan 2007, 11:03
Cathay and Thai have been my favorites!!!

Globaliser
18th Jan 2007, 17:44
Does any of these airlines offer free internal flights within Aus?Long time since I've asked specifically, but the impression that I've had from recent trips is "no".

But it's very easy to get cheap domestic flights within Australia, especially on the trunk routes between the capital cities. You just need to go to the airline websites and book them direct.

heidelberg
18th Jan 2007, 19:23
Anybody try Gulf?
£870 return economy; £3367 Business including limo to/from home/LHR!

Scarebus_A300
18th Jan 2007, 20:08
I went Malaysian with my parents in 1999 I think - great airline from what I can remember ;)

Middle Seat
18th Jan 2007, 22:27
Not free, but from some countries (I know US and Canada are two), you can get a boomerang pass, which will allow you a certain number of flights for a price.

Whether it is a good value, I don't know. I did as Globaliser instructed, and even though my flight to Australia was on QF (much better than the Untied alternative), I did domestic legs on JetStar (nobody looks good in Orange Polyester) Virgin Blue, and Qantas. All of them cheap if not reasonable.

25F
19th Jan 2007, 20:14
I went with JAL - good price and on the return trip you get a flat bed, even in economy! (I.e. it's a night in the airport hotel).

gdiphil
19th Jan 2007, 20:35
I go to Sydney twice a year and have used many airlines, mostly in economy but I have gone first in Thai. I think it depends what you want. If it is legroom without doubt it is Malaysian these days and I used them last September and found them to be excellent. For the past couple of years I used Qantas since they had some excellent deals when I needed to go. I find the crew always welcoming, usually seem to like their job and I like the food and the Aussie beer. Indeed my forthcoming trip in April is with them. If I am travelling with my family then it has to be SQ because of the entertainment system. The seats are reasonable but the food is minuscule and served with very long intervals between meals. My favourite in economy is believe it or not Thai. They still use the old fashioned IFE system of the screen somewhere at the end of the cabin. I like that since it means more legroom under the seat in front, and in any event I am just not interested in IFE and prefer to read and sleep (which I do very successfully in economy). I have used JAL and also like the overnight in the hotel on the way back. Never used the emerging gulf area airlines but my brother absolutely swears by Gulf Air in business. He quite liked Emirates in economy but that was four years ago. The one airline I absolutely will not use now (emergencies excepted of course) is BA. I have over the past 30 years or so have often used them on longhaul. After my last trip with them in September 2005 where they had introduced a new economy cabin I found the experience verging on a horror story. The cabin is so cramped (I am not a big bloke, average 5feet 10 inches 13 stones) that I couldn't even prop up my book when the guy in front quite reasonably, put his seat back. No matter how good the deal, or the timing of the flight, I could not sit on one of their economy seats again for a flight over a couple of hours.

BOFH
19th Jan 2007, 20:46
Break your trip. Outbound BKK/SIN, inbound likewise.

Like gdiphil, I have to return regularly and I'm rather taller than he is. BA and QF are usually quite good to me and will give me the exit seat if I am in Y.

However, the best thing of all is having nice clean sheets, an amazing city, and a feeling that the holiday has already started, or is ending.

BOFH

Atishoo
20th Jan 2007, 21:42
Thanks guys so much....

We have almost decided to use Singapore Airlines, only because of good feedback. Im just a little concerned abt leg room as im 5'8 and hubby 6'1. The inflight entertainment looks good for a 10yr old who rarely sleeps on board, this may well sway things. Also we wanna see Singapore too so seems the obvious choice, *sigh* just wish we could afford to go up a class tho :( never mind im very lucky to have the opportunity to be going to Sing and Aus :) Wish i knew the CC supervisor LOL

Atishoo
20th Jan 2007, 21:50
While im here, any really nice hotels in Singapore? central, and not too far from the airport?

I opened a thread abt nicest hotels n the world and the mod closed it, thats always happening to me :(

Also Sydney hotels would be a grand help too, nothing less than 4* though pls

TA

BYMONEK
20th Jan 2007, 22:01
Would avoid BA as the Cabin Crew are threatening strike action...........for a change!:rolleyes: Emirates do some good deals in business and with just one stop in Dubai, flights are good with 500 channel IFE and good food/ service in J class. Economy is also good but product can be let down by inconsistent levels of Cabin Crew due big expansion and low experience levels. Some crew excellent, others from 'certain parts of this world' more robotic and lacking in personality! SQ seem consistantly good too.(Singapore)

alangirvan
23rd Jan 2007, 06:21
A couple of years ago I stayed in the New Park Hotel, but I think it is now the Park Royal. It has nice food - buffet restaurant with Western and Asian food, and good breakfasts. Sightseeing tours will pick you up from the hotel. Take a package through Singapore Airlines Holidays so that you get a bus transfer to/from airport. (This is worth it after a long flight.) If you want to do 48 hour stopover, I suggest the Night Safari at the Zoo and the Bird Park. Sentosa Island is nice - good cable car ride and nice aquarium.

BOFH
23rd Jan 2007, 18:54
and hubby ...The inflight entertainment looks good for a 10yr old who rarely sleeps

That's what Mrs BOFH says about me!

Your husband should be fine, as I can manage - and there'll be three of you in a row so you can sprawl over people you love.

The taxi from the airport is around S$20 if you do not get a transfer. Efficient, air-conditioned, splendid. Do not stay near the airport (unless you fancy Changi) - as there is not much there. Last time I was there for leisure, I used a website to book - a suite for S$175/night in the Concorde. For business, I use the Sheraton Scott's Towers or the Hyatt.

You have to work very hard to have a bad time in SIN, but take T-shirts and shorts, and dress lightly for the flight, throw your heavy coats/jumpers in your bags before you check in. Wine is expensive so bring it from here if you are partial to it (from duty free, of course).

The food courts on the East Coast Parkway (just out of town) are recommended if you like to eat chilli crab. The Red House is the best IMHO. Newton Circus is also a wonderful place to eat. And eat... and eat...

Have a wonderful trip

BOFH

manintheback
23rd Jan 2007, 19:36
Go for Virgin and try and beg the extra money for Premium Economy - worth every penny believe me. Avoid BA until they've sorted out their annual internal woes once and for all.

heidelberg
23rd Jan 2007, 20:38
Gulf Air business class excellent value for money - and a real Sky Chef on board too! A limo will collect you within 55 Km of airport and on return will deposit you back home!!!

HKPAX
24th Jan 2007, 10:58
Bear in mind no duty free smokes allowed into Singapore. Paramount Hotel is 3 star and may offer cheapo deals but keep yr mss out of the basement (bit of a den of iniquity la).

Hong Kong is a wee bit more interesting on a broef stopover, but so is Bangkok, which is apparently a twin city with Pittsburgh.

Have a nice trip!

zed3
24th Jan 2007, 11:20
heidelberg ..... Emirates also . mrs zed and myself are booked DUS-MEL via Dubai in Business Class for e3200 each , around Lstg4000 for the two of us including limo collection and dropoff from the Dutch side of the border - around 70 kms from DUS . Roll on Feb 20th !

ydnpa
24th Jan 2007, 11:45
If you are flying on Singapore Airlines the airline offer Singapore Stopover packages, have a look at their website. They offer a wide range of hotels from cheap up to 5* but rates are very good. The advantage is the price includes transfer to & from the airport plus free use of the bus that loops around the major tourist areas.

Sultan Ismail
24th Jan 2007, 15:22
There is a useful website at wotif.com which offers discount rates at short notice, say the next 28 days. Have used it for Sydney and Sin, the Sydney choice was the Shangri-La overlooking Circular Quay, the Opera House and the Bridge.

Airline choice, well Malaysian gets many accolades, my brother did KL to London a couple of days ago spread out over xxHJK, helps if you take the less popular deparures, most of the airlines do the Kangaroo Route 2 or 3 times a day.

Kittycat
25th Jan 2007, 16:20
Atishoo, may I ask when you looking to travel? Gulf Air got great specials from London to Aus, but within a spesific time period. Its a good airline, but then you have to take a connection flight via Bahrain though..
I dont know about any airlines that provide free internal flights, but if you are sure about your dates, you can pick up internal tickets for really cheap. (usually these tickets cannot be changed after you purchased it) Where do you want to go in Australia?

TSR2
25th Jan 2007, 20:46
Atishoo, you do not say when you intend to travel but there are some good deals with Qantas available until 31st Jan for travel between April and June. eg: £595 LHR to Melbourne, £599 LHR to Sydney. These fares are return and only available through a major national retailer I believe.

G-OPCON
27th Jan 2007, 03:42
I believe Qantas are offereing OZ £855 including 2 internal flights.:O

Skylion
27th Jan 2007, 22:17
It's also worth looking at Asiana. They often have good deals and are a very smart outfit with excellent service.

Aardvaark
28th Jan 2007, 02:56
I agree with Skylion. I have flown with Asiana a number of times and have always had excellent service. They are certainly worth a look!

alangirvan
1st Feb 2007, 01:50
Etihad have announced that their flights to Sydney will start 29 March. You can check in www.airlinemeals.org to see if you will like the food.

smokey2
1st Feb 2007, 03:16
Just remember it is a long haul - does not matter who you fly. 20 hours so it ain't enjoyable. Early morning arrival at Sydney usually means a long queue at customs etc. so drink lots of fluids and pace yourself.

heidelberg
1st Feb 2007, 06:46
Smokey 2 is correct re early morning arrivals in Sydney.
Another reason to consider Gulf's GF148 from BAH which arrives SYD 2045.

Atishoo
10th Feb 2007, 16:14
We arnt going until dec12, we have now booked Sing airlines so i hope itll be ok....

We are going to perth then syd, then up to the whitsundays before back to Sing then home a month later....
whitsundays are proving a problem though, where to stay, and its expensive !!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

zed3
10th Feb 2007, 16:26
Atishoo.....bang 'Airlie Beach hotels' into Google and choose from there . Over the past few weeks I have spent hours narrowing down the selection , pitting site against room against facilities , repeating myself time after time - good fun once you get into it . I was last there 20 years ago and am going there with Mrs zed in ten days or so . We are booked into the Coral Sea . Last time , hired in an appartment complex with a work colleague . Self catering but was great . Fly into Whitsunday Airport - Proserpine .

heidelberg
10th Feb 2007, 22:33
Atishoo

Sydney direct to Hamilton Island using Jetstar.
Mrs H and myself will be spending our 40th 'together' anniversary there end March.
We have decided to do a self catering job.
Our Sydney based daughter will be with us.
Will PM u with details of accommodation etc.

H'berg

P.S. On my return mid April will post my GF Business Class experience.

scaredofflying
11th Feb 2007, 22:19
qantas business was disappointing, british airways business is the best or if you can afford virgin upper even better.

heidelberg
17th Feb 2007, 02:10
Arrived Sydney from Dublin with Gulf Air on Thursday night 15th Feb.
Great flight.
Superb service in every way - Business class with the lie flat beds worth it.
Bus class cost 3120 Euro return!!!

Managed to sleep on all three sectors - DUB/BAH; BAH/SIN; SIN/SYD.

And no Going through LHR!!!!

RealFish
17th Feb 2007, 15:23
Atishoo.
If you haven't already found it, try the attached website for a selection of accomodation.
http://www.queenslandholidays.travel-bookings.net/accommodation/search_results.php
Hamilton Island has a selection of budget, self catering to 4 and 5 star accomodation. If you'd prefer to speak to someone, you could check availability and offers via the Island Switchboard 00-61-7-4946-9999
Heidelberg is correct, use Jeststar to Hamilton Is (keep your eye open for their regular seat sales) - A Proserpine arrival will require you to make your way to Shute Harbour and an onward ferry to the Islands (which I think is fairly expensive).
Ferry timetables:
http://www.fantasea.com.au/Timetables.htm

Atishoo
20th Feb 2007, 20:54
eww God no, i cant travel on the sea !! thanks anyway

BTW where did u get your nic?

10secondsurvey
23rd Feb 2007, 08:47
As regards getting about in Oz, I can heartily recommend Virgin Blue. The prices booked in advance are dirt cheap, and the standard of service is way beyond the crap found with budget airlines in Europe. Virgin Blue will also allow you to pre-book extra legroom seats for a charge. General consensus seems to be that the 'old' approach of getting flights to Oz with say Qantas, which gave free internal flights (or a cheap 'boomerang' style pass) is no longer the best approach.

In terms of flights to Oz, if you can afford it, go premium economy. For such a long flight it really is worth it. If you husband is 6'1, he will thank you for it, as he may find a 32" pitch a bit rough.