PDA

View Full Version : More Un-normals

helipilot82
17th Jan 2007, 11:16
Hi All,

Apart from engine failures & pre-flight abnormalities. What has happened in flight to you?

In my short career have had engine cowl seperate in flight (first solo nav during CPL training) and hydraulic failure in B206.:eek:

teeteringhead
17th Jan 2007, 11:34
How about finding large, middle-eastern cockroach in flying helmet .......

............ whilst wearing it!! :eek:

verticalhold
17th Jan 2007, 11:40
A king cobra under the P1 seat whilst airborne:{ :{ :mad:

SASless
17th Jan 2007, 12:04
Had a Water Buffalo wander up into the cockpit of a Chinook once....in flight.

Salusa
17th Jan 2007, 12:37
How about finding large, middle-eastern cockroach in flying helmet .......

............ whilst wearing it!! :eek:

Eeek, that would just about finish me off I think!!

I would rather have verticalholds cobra under my seat.

Hughes500
17th Jan 2007, 16:56
New bride giving a bj to husband in back of 206:ooh:

md 600 driver
17th Jan 2007, 19:19
andrew
she just loved the chopper

OldRookie
17th Jan 2007, 20:38
New bride giving a bj to husband in back of 206:ooh:
And that would have been his last one if they were just married

ShyTorque
17th Jan 2007, 20:54
A squadron colleague of mine once had a big black billy goat batter its way out of wooden crate in the back of a Puma in Belize.

It ran around the cabin then tried to gain access to the cockpit. It was rugby tackled from behind by the crewman who then opened the cabin door, which allowed it to run 1500 feet at 140 kts to the jungle below.

So the Ghurkas didn't get their curry......

22clipper
18th Jan 2007, 00:28
Chris Harmon, old flying buddy & ex pat Canadian medico (now back home in Ontario flying seaplanes on his day off) once transported a convalescing eagle in a large cardboard box on the front pax seat of his R22. According to his version of events a large beak & some talons exited the carton on final approach to his property. I always liked the story, makes an interesting twist on how eagles usually enter the cockpit.

Treg
18th Jan 2007, 04:56
Whilst "survival" training on a remote NW island off Australia the boys caught several fish, including a 1m reef shark. Wedged into the back of a 212 on the return trip the shark, apparently dead, came to life with teeth snapping away at anything within its range - it wasn't in the best mood, but was probably even more upset when a crewmans knife was burried in its head.

Devil 49
18th Jan 2007, 09:11
Hostile small arms fire, hits
"Friendly fire", hits. Once, by the PIC, multiple hits
Drive train failure
Mechanical failure of throttle, tail rotor control systems (not counting an ECL failure)
Three instances of transmission suspension system component failure
Bird, bat strikes
Servo transparency
Various pilot intellectual inadequacies, a/k/a "head up and locked" syndrome...

rotorfossil
18th Jan 2007, 12:06
Hostile rock thrown by unfriendly Arab.
After one hour low level over jungle (<100 ft), engine quit 200ft when lined up on finals to the airfield.
Jungle again; plug blew out of the back of main reduction gearbox losing all oil, reckoning one minute to gearbox seize, old Second War Jap airstrip within 30 seconds.
Trundling up the River Thames past Tower Bridge, patient in the cabin with broken back, MRG oil pressure drops to zero. After thinking of putting it down at Tower of London, bright navigator notices gauge glass loose causing problem.
Three governor runaway downs when at safe height, one governor runaway up in the hover.
Bell 47 - One tank with restriction in vent. Single gauge showing plenty of fuel, tank runs dry, all goes quiet. Nice field straight on front.
Guess I live right (so far).

SASless
18th Jan 2007, 21:17
.51 hit removed the left pedal from under my foot and started a fire fed by the Utility hydraulic system on a Chinook....fire melted the aluminum skin on the aircraft clear back to the middle of the fuselage. Did a GCA back at our departure point and landed the aircraft. Never read a single checklist either.:uhoh:

This was the second colossal miscalculation of the day....should have known better than to start a combat tour in Vietnam on 1st of April.

Still have the photographs of the aircraft as a reminder of how lucky one can be.

charliegolf
18th Jan 2007, 21:33
Shy

About that billy goat story:

"It was rugby tackled from behind by the crewman"

Was the crewman Welsh, and mistook it for a sheep?

CG

Graviman
19th Jan 2007, 11:32
.51 hit removed the left pedal from under my foot and started a fire fed by the Utility hydraulic system on a Chinook....fire melted the aluminum skin on the aircraft clear back to the middle of the fuselage. Did a GCA back at our departure point and landed the aircraft.

I cr*pped in my pants just reading about that one!

Mart