PDA

View Full Version : Startup Items Deletion

Tosh McCaber
17th Jan 2007, 08:03
I want to cut down on the number of items and applications that appear when I switch on my computer. The latest being MSN Live, which is fine for communicating with the family on their computer, but, every morning, I'm treated to a "Greetings" panel, which |I don't want.

I carried out this task a year or two back- I know that the answer is to delete unnecessary items from the Start or Startup screens, but I can't remember how to go about it

17th Jan 2007, 08:18
If you go to "START" (bottom left)
Then "All programs" - "Start up", you can delete some of the required programs from there.

Is there an icon for MSN Live in the toolbar on the bottom right of your screen?.
If there is, click on that, and see if you can get an options screen, and you might well get a start up option page on that.

Saintsman
17th Jan 2007, 08:27
Start and Run. Type in "msconfig". On the start up tab you can select what you want to run.

HectorusRex
17th Jan 2007, 09:11
Google for "Codestuff Starter"
Install and it will give an accurate description of all running programmes AND which can be safely terminated.
Excellent utility which can be easily used in conjunction with Task Manager.

Tosh McCaber
17th Jan 2007, 11:24
Thanks for the prompt replies.

Tosh

Mac the Knife
17th Jan 2007, 14:16
Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel - http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml - is what you need.

It's been around for a long time and is reliable and stable (and free).

Don't use Microsoft's feeble msconfig for anything except debugging purposes, Windows will complain everytime you boot and it isn't meant for that.

If you want more detail and more control, use Mark Russinovich's Autoruns - http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/ProcessesAndThreads/Autoruns.mspx - Mark now works for MS and still maintains Autoruns, so it is almost MS approved.

:ok:

boeingbus2002
28th Jan 2007, 18:22
Ive tried several times to do as suggested. Using msconfig and de-selecting items not required etc on each start up.

However each time I try (and after re-starting windows for changes to take effect) the programs still remain.

Main culprits are Skype, HP monitor and software updater etc.

Any other suggestions?

Little Boy
28th Jan 2007, 18:36
All of the programmes mentioned can be "stopped from starting" using options within the individual prorgrammes.