PDA

View Full Version : Media Player Default Problem

Defenestrator
17th Jan 2007, 07:18
The missus put some software on the PC for her MP3 player and now the darn thing defaults to that media player and not the windows media player which I prefer. Anyone know how to restore it to the settings prior to the addition of the new software.

Thanks a million

D

BDiONU
17th Jan 2007, 07:48
The missus put some software on the PC for her MP3 player and now the darn thing defaults to that media player and not the windows media player which I prefer. Anyone know how to restore it to the settings prior to the addition of the new software.
Thanks a million
D
Using windows (XP)? Right mouse click on an audio file, scroll down to Properties and click on it. Window will open up and near the top you'll see Type of File and Opens With, click on the Change button, browse to the program you want to use and highlight it, click OK, Job's a good 'un :)

BD

BOAC
17th Jan 2007, 08:27
Windows sometimes 'fights back' when setting associations:mad: ; if so, it might be better to run WinAmp/Options/General Preferences/File Types

Defenestrator
17th Jan 2007, 08:28
Yes very good and that does fix things individually. But what I'd really like to know how to do is to have it all default automatically back to Windows Media Player. And also if I'm watching film from the net I'd like it to stream in media player and not default to that other thing that it currently is.

Sorry BOAC I'm not as learned as your good self. How exactly would I do that and what would it achieve. Thanks for the responses guys.

D

BOAC
17th Jan 2007, 08:34
Run winamp, open 'options' on the top menu bar, scroll down to general prefs. and flattery will...........................:)

Defenestrator
17th Jan 2007, 08:52
Sorry, I seem to have created some confusion. The program I want everything to default to is Windows Media Player. I don't have Winamp. There is nothing (that I can find) in the options menu of WMP that allows manual default settings. It's really very frustrating.

D

Defenestrator
17th Jan 2007, 09:25
Sorted. Sorry for the hassle and thanks for the help.

D:} :ok:

BOAC
17th Jan 2007, 15:47
Defen - the confusion was all mine:\ . Please ignore all the garbage I posted there - cannot IMAGINE what I was thinking about................glad you are sorted.

DaveO'Leary
17th Jan 2007, 16:52
Maybe I'm miles off course on this, forgive me if I am. I just right click on the file, video or audio and select 'open with' one then gets a choice in a drop down window of the software to use.
Dave

Tone
17th Jan 2007, 17:14
Isn't it strange how these things all come together. I have just (by accident) updated iTunes and found that QuickTime had elected itself to open with all audio & video files. Control Panel / Folder Options was an obvious first call but QuickTime was still in charge. Eventually found some options in QuickTime under Edit/Preferences/QuickTime Preferences/Browser/MIME Settings which enabled me to shut it up. Two hours drinking time wasted.

Do these people think they are doing us any favours?

WTF is a MIME setting?

Defenestrator
17th Jan 2007, 21:00
I found this did the job.....Windows MediaPlayer > Tools > Options... > File Types (tab) > check/uncheck boxes as required. And as such I selected all. Problem solved. I'm pretty sure that the software the missus put on the PC had a default option which she took and it twisted things around.

Mr BOAC, now worries. Thanks anyway.

D:ok:

DaveO'Leary
17th Jan 2007, 21:20
Never let a woman get her hands on a pc, it's a man thing:ok:

I'll get my coat

Dave:hmm: