PDA

View Full Version : Bullets and Numbering in bl**dy Word

Bus429
17th Jan 2007, 05:59
Does anyone understand "Bullets and Numbering"? Why does the "Auto Format" suddenly go haywire as one types a list?:ugh:

matelot
17th Jan 2007, 07:59
Often it's easier just to turn off bullets and numbering. It can be an absolute pain. Tab in and insert manually, then it WON'T go haywire.:cool:

Bus429
17th Jan 2007, 08:11
Thanks, Matelot

Keef
17th Jan 2007, 21:08
It's one of the bits they got horribly wrong. There probably is a way to fix it, but I never found it. It'll drive you crazy - just turn it off, and do them manually.

Background Noise
18th Jan 2007, 09:30
Not a word expert by any means but equally fed up with some of its default autoformatting. Go to format, autoformat, options - you then have various tabs to unselect all those auto things like autobulleted lists etc and format like the previous etc.

Saab Dastard
18th Jan 2007, 15:53
Yes, you really have to bludgeon Word to get it to do more than the simplest bulleted list!

Just try doing it within tables, or with multiple indents!

I think that the last version of Wind for Wierdos that did what I wanted rather than what it thought I wanted was Word 95.

Progress? :hmm:

SD

Globaliser
18th Jan 2007, 17:38
I think that the last version of Wind for Wierdos that did what I wanted rather than what it thought I wanted was Word 95.There's a reason why my primary word processor is a 1994 copy of WordPerfect for Windows 6.0a. It always produces better-looking work than I can do with Word. Fortunately:-
(a) It still runs in Windows XP. I dread the Windoze system that will no longer allow it to.
(b) Word will reasonably accurately convert it so that I can then share my beautiful documents.

Gertrude the Wombat
18th Jan 2007, 19:59
Yes, you really have to bludgeon Word to get it to do more than the simplest bulleted list!
Just try doing it within tables, or with multiple indents!
I think that the last version of Wind for Wierdos that did what I wanted rather than what it thought I wanted was Word 95.

Not convinced. My recollection is that this feature worked fine in version 6 but got broken in 95 (and never fixed since). ICBW though.

stickyb
21st Jan 2007, 06:18
I seem to remember having the best and easiest results by typing everything in plain text, then highlighting it, then converting it to a bullet list.