PDA

View Full Version : John Holland Aviation MRO

Mobi LAME
17th Jan 2007, 02:09
Does anybody know what the story is behind this. Rumour is that they are about to take over the Ansett Maint Base at Melbourne. Given that this MRO is owned by Leighton and Dixon sat/is on the Board what will this mean to the future of big Q domestic heavy maintenance in Melb.

VBA Engineer
2nd Feb 2007, 12:18
No rumour any more.

Their application is going through CASA and they are now purchasing tooling and equipment.

The engineers AWA is widely spread around the Melbourne Airport engineers.

Looks like the end of QF maintenance in their hangar at Melbourne.

QF MAINT OUTSOURCED
2nd Feb 2007, 21:28
the best way to beat these AWA's is to leave the industry all together,Qantas and the goverment have let it be know who they feel about the skilled workforce in this country,move on CHAPS

VBA Engineer
4th Feb 2007, 08:43
Don't know about that, they are paying $140K.

Sure it includes an overtime inclusion for the first set hours but 140 isn't toooooooo bad.

company_spy
4th Feb 2007, 12:48
140k I would like to see that on paper before I signed. Pre paid OT as well ,they will certainly get their pound of flesh out of you.

Clipped
5th Feb 2007, 06:13
Wonderful idea .... and as the new owners have assured ..... QF maintenance will be carried out in Oz. Absolutely, but in what capacity? Expect these enterprises, because it will be the future of QF maintenance, both Heavy and Line.

Oh, and the $140K pa .... you won't have to do much for that .. LOL .. it's just the market rate in Oz for a Heavy Maint LAME.

There was a standard in Qantas maintenance facilities years ago ... a very high standard ... a big thank you to the current management and our regulators for their never ending search do find the lowest acceptable 'standards' of aircraft maintenance. I hope they will be around in a decade to savour their pioneering efforts.

soldier of fortune
5th Feb 2007, 12:09
no one there will be on a base rate of 140k with built in ot -except management stooges-ie DMM'S-SUPERVISORS ETC-
MOST LAME'S WILL BE ON 80-100 K MARK WITH A BUILT IN OT .
now my question is how many LAME'S WILL THEY EMPLOY.
MY GUESS- 1 LAME PER 7-10 AME'S.

Bumpfoh
5th Feb 2007, 20:17
And as I understand it the AWA allows for any number of shift patterns to be worked with next to no say in it from the workers and bugger all notice to be given to the individual when a change is forthcoming.:yuk:

Oh and you will stay back and work OT as you agreed to in the AWA, whether you like it or not or whether you can or can't!:yuk: :yuk: :yuk:

Thanks Mr Sheen.:{

Sweet Reason
17th Feb 2007, 03:13
I reckon its fantastic that whats left of Ansett gets a chance to grow into an MRO. The Q have nothing to fear from that

VBA Engineer
17th Feb 2007, 10:16
Agree,

Too many people scared of their own shadow around here.

Get with it...... the industry is moving forward.

Clipped
17th Feb 2007, 22:17
VBA n Sweet - you're mistaking the intent of this discussion.

The concern here is that these new enterprises have been driven by Qantas management to ultimately undermine the current workforce whilst keeping with their intention of keeping Qantas maintenance onshore, to some extent.

The development of aircraft maintenance in Oz is a great thing for ALL of us. True competition helps keep management honest. Like elsewhere in the world having choices in the industry allows options, without having to search for work with overseas MRO's.

If this mob can build a thriving aircraft maintenance organisation that employs Australians, on competitive T&C's, then good on them - this is our industry heading in the right direction. If they're here to divert or siphon Qantas maintenance in an attempt to allow our management to reign in it's workforce, which is it's probable intent, then that is not okay.

Hope that explains, the initial point of view.

The less - us and them mentality - the better.

Sweet Reason
18th Feb 2007, 21:22
No argument with you Clipped - but there is a stack of demand coming for MRO services ourtside of Q. If Holland can do what they say, job security and employment levels will be much increased, and there is no threat to Q

Bumpfoh
18th Feb 2007, 23:36
That remains to be seen and will remain the $64K question until such a time as the "threat" no longer exists.:ok:

Toolman101
19th Feb 2007, 00:00
Clipped

The development of aircraft maintenance in Oz is a great thing for ALL of us.:ok:

Couldn't agree more. As long as they maintain the value of the training/cost that all LAMES put in to obtain their qualifications and is reflected in the pay rates.

There is no point having a maintenance base if you dumb down the work force.

Syd eng
19th Feb 2007, 00:03
Can't agree more with that comment. For too long we are seen as a cost to a company and not an asset that in turn makes the companies we work with make money.

Nero62
19th Feb 2007, 10:35
Australia has no true MRO. What alternative have the airlines to handle peak loads but sent to New Zealand or Asia? Hollands are an engineering company, perhaps they can make a go of this. No one else seems interested or prepared to take a risk and give AAES a go.

Sweet Reason
20th Feb 2007, 09:19
Holland have a half-year result in last weeks Financial Review. Their ultimate boss - W King - has stated that they have huge cash reserves for investment - this is great for the whole industry....lets get going!!!