PDA

View Full Version : IFE Moving Maps

J32/41
16th Jan 2007, 21:19
Just a quick question regarding the moving maps that I know the B.A & Swiss shorthaul Airbus's have (I'm sure most other airlines also have them but I haven't flown with any others recently).

Where do they receive the information from, is there a central computer that takes the information from the flightdeck?

Thanks

AUTOGLIDE
17th Jan 2007, 00:27
Yes, in short. It's usually an Airshow product, and it receives the route, time to destination, altitude and environmental information and so on from the Flight management computer or equivalent as per aircraft type.
The exact order of the page scrolling (the mode), and the type of information shown is airline determined and stored on a CD within the Airshow Digital Interface Unit itself.

Bangkokeasy
17th Jan 2007, 01:51
The upgraded TG 744s have a new format air map which switches to what looks like Google Earth when over airports they serve. Does anyone know if this is Google Earth? Or another source?

teleport
17th Jan 2007, 17:20
Check out on BA shorthaul airbus fleet, which currently (bizarrely) puts STA EGSS way too south of its real position, on the close-up of the London area.

WHBM
18th Jan 2007, 08:32
My main question about Airshow (otherwise great) is whoever decided the bizarre selection of cities that get marked on the map.

On a map of all Europe and the Med (flying London to St Petersburg), the only off-line city shown to position yourself was - Algiers !

Stansted has been in the wrong place on the BA maps for over 12 months now. Maybe BA want to convince you that it's nowhere convenient :)

teleport
18th Jan 2007, 08:41
WHBM
Stansted Kent? Actually find it pretty inconvenient where it is, but that is obviously a very individual matter:ok:

Globaliser
18th Jan 2007, 17:53
Stansted has been in the wrong place on the BA maps for over 12 months now. Maybe BA want to convince you that it's nowhere convenient :)Actually, there's a pattern to it. A number of the "low fare" airports are specifically marked on the BA maps. We recently spotted Prestwick, for example. When you can also see where Glasgow airport is, BA's point is obvious. What a pity about the execution of the "Stansted" one. :)

AUTOGLIDE
19th Jan 2007, 09:31
My main question about Airshow (otherwise great) is whoever decided the bizarre selection of cities that get marked on the map.
On a map of all Europe and the Med (flying London to St Petersburg), the only off-line city shown to position yourself was - Algiers !
Stansted has been in the wrong place on the BA maps for over 12 months now. Maybe BA want to convince you that it's nowhere convenient :)
In short, the airline. The CD content can be changed to update the points of interest, languages etc. Though the selections, generally as displayed tend to be a bit unexpected.

teleport
19th Jan 2007, 10:19
Being a fan of the moving map myself, its days may unfortunately be numbered. Other airlines find the screen much more useful as a medium for churning out advertising to a captive audience.