PDA

View Full Version : Jerky video download.

G-CPTN
16th Jan 2007, 17:52
I'm signed to Virgin Net Broadband with 8Mbps through a Netgear DG834G wireless router. I DO see 54Mbps on the Wireless Network Connection Status screen in Windows XP Home, and four green bars out of five with 'Signal Strength' Good as typical figures on my laptop. Without moving, the 54Mbps sometimes drops to 1.0Mbps and then recovers to anywhere in-between.
Can anyone explain the relationship between Speed and Signal Strength? I appreciate that when the wireless connection drops below 8Mbps then my ability to utilise the full benefit of my connection is compromised, but I can see 24Mbps and three green bars, yet still have extremely jerky downloads from video sights such as YouTube, making these downloads unwatchable. As I type the wireless connection has deteriorated to 1.0Mbps and four green bars even though I'm not placing any demand on the Internet (and now it's back to 12.0 Mbps and three green bars).
Of course I understand the jerky download might also be due to high demand on the YouTube server (or anywhere between).

How can I better understand what is affecting my ability to enjoy video downloads 'live'?

(36Mbps and three bars has just dropped to 1.0Mbps and three bars).

stevef
16th Jan 2007, 18:23
With YouTube, the jerkiness is caused by buffering problems. What I do, though it's a pain, is to play the clip through whilst doing something else (like grabbing a beer from the fridge) and when it's completed, replay. It displays and sounds correctly then. Mostly affects music clips, I've noticed.
Might be nothing to do with your problem, though...

G-CPTN
16th Jan 2007, 18:51
Thanks, Steve, that's what I usually end-up doing, though it's a pain in the butt. I'm just a Google video with the same effect - Connection Status monitor is fluctuating between 18Mbps and 24 Mbps yet the video is running in stits and farts. I DO have AVG 7.5 (paid for) operating. I just wish I could understand more about downloading speeds and strengths.
My daughter-in-law installed Ethereal onto my computer, but I haven't a clue what to do with it.

Keef
17th Jan 2007, 01:01
If the wireless speed is fluctuating, that's nowt to do with the site you happen to be connected to.

I'd suspect another wireless network in the neighbourhood on the same channel.