View Full Version : Training in Australia

faffala
8th Mar 2004, 12:16
Advert!

Scroggs

Jimmy89
5th Jun 2004, 07:37
Hey everyone,

Does anyone know any good flight training schools at Camden Airport and Bankstown Airport? I'm looking for flight training only and selft-study theory. I'm not intending on doing a degree or diploma. Any information is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Jimmy

redsnail
5th Jun 2004, 10:49
Go and have a chat with Sue Davis at Aerospace Aviation. I used to do my CIR renewals there.
If you can, have a look at Liverpool Flying School at Hoxton Park. I did my CPL there and they were well worth it. Very good school.

blaston
3rd Oct 2005, 06:50
Can anybody give me some advice on the western australian aviation college? They are offering JAR courses. The prices look good but I am having trouble finding anyone who has had any experience with them. In particular I am wanting to know about their quality of instructors, facilities accomodation etc and the prospects of empolyment afterwards. Any information will be appreciated. :cool:

Philip Aerodynamics
3rd Oct 2005, 08:46
A family member is a training Captain at a Major in Asia he recommends them highly and if they´d been JAR approved when I was doing my training I would have gone. The training in Auz is excellent and could lead you into Asian airlines, A chap named Mark runs it hes a POM so he´ll look after you. I spent 8 yrs in the Far East and enjoyed every minute. However if you´re a Mummys boy forget it. "Go East young man but beware" Good luck downunder.

hghazoly
3rd Oct 2005, 17:29
hello everyone

i'm egyptian, i would like to join a flight school in astralia.

i want to make cpl with multi instrument endorsement.

i made contacts with many schools like:

1-air australia in perth (http://www.airaustralia.net/)
2-sedney flight training centere (http://www.sydneyflighttraining.com.au/)
3-aerospace aviation in sydney (http://www.aerospaceaviation.com/index.php)
4-arena aviation in brisbane (http://www.arenaaviation.com.au/)
5-australian college of aviation in melbourne (http://www.australianaviationtraining.com/)
6-tristar in victoria (http://www.tristaraviation.com.au/)

i want to know which school is better?
is it better to go to bg city like sydney or small like perth?
is it better to have the training on cessna or tomahawk & warrior?

plz help me with ur ideas and knowledge

i would like to know all ur opinions

redsnail
3rd Oct 2005, 20:22
It would probably be a good idea to post this question in Dununda and Godzone.

There's pro's and con's with big v small cities. General Aviation controlled aerodromes v non controlled aerodromes.

Every one's needs are different. One school may be perfect for me but you'll hate it. Remember, the instructor can make or break your experience at a particular flight school.

I know of Aerospace Aviation, I have done an instructor rating there and several instrument rating renewals.

I am not a fan of the Tomahawk, I think the Beech Skipper is a better aircraft. The C152 is not bad as a basic trainer.

The Cherokee is good for the navigation side of training. I love the Beech Sierra but it's probably not that cost effective. (Great aeroplane to fly though and ticks all the boxes for the CPL)

Aerospace Aviation uses the venerable Partenavia for the Instrument rating. A nice easy aeroplane to fly. Good stable IR platform. Big bonus, if you intend to work in Oz, many charter companies up north use them. The Duchess is ok but I prefer the Partenavia.

BillieBob
3rd Oct 2005, 21:07
Not surprising that you can't find anyone who has any experience - nobody has yet graduated from WAAC, in fact I'm not sure anyone's yet started with them. However, their HT is ex-Oxford and ex-Wycombe, both of which have a good reputation and so I guess he knows where his towel is.

blaston
5th Oct 2005, 07:58
Thanks Philip and Billiebob for your replies. It is sounding more promising the more I look into it. I am hearing good things about Perth but have not had a chance to get over to the west coast to have a look myself yet. Still enjoying Sydney and the east coast.
Many thanks. I would appreciate any other information that anyone may have.;)

anthperry
16th Nov 2005, 09:36
I have only got good things to report about WAAC, great lecturers, facilities, etc

DBLE
16th Nov 2005, 12:19
Big statement anthperry, what is your experience with them, have you trained there?

kula
18th Nov 2005, 13:21
No doubt this has been asked before but I coudn't find the definitive answer so here goes,

I am an english jaa ppl holder. I am going to australia in a month or so and would like to do some hour building towards my jaa cpl. Please can anyone tell me exactly what i need to do in order to be allowed to fly in australia? ie what paperwork needs to be completed before i leave the uk and upon arriving in Australia?

Also I am considering the possibility of doing a multi engine rating. In order to do this do i need a student visa? I currently only have a working visa, so how long would it take to get a student visa? can i get it once i'm in oz already??!
Would I be able to put this multi rating on my jaa ppl or do i need to get a temporary australian ppl so I can put the multi rating on it and convert it back in the uk??

many thanks

no sponsor
18th Nov 2005, 17:31
Get it sorted all before you go to Oz.

Here's what you need to do:

- fill out the CAA form, fax it to Gatwick, and pay £17 for them to release all your details to CASA (the aussie CAA)

- Download the application for a special pilots licence from the CASA website

- Phone up CASA, and asked to be put through to the local CASA office near the airfield you'll be flying from. For example, in Sydney, the Bamkstown office is the one. Explain the situation. Fax all your details through: copies of log book, any VP/UC endorsements. Licence etc.

- CASA can begin the process of asking the UK CAA to release all your info. This can take 10 days.

- Before you leave - i.e. 5 days before, phone CASA up again and make sure they have everything.

- Go to Oz. Go to the local CASA office, drop off all your original paper work. Pay fees.

- Wait 24hrs

- You'll be issued with a lovely green book with a special pilots licence based on your UK licence.

- Part of requirements will be to fly with a qualified instructor to undertake a flight review test: this will include a x-country and general handling.

- You're done!! You can fly a VH registered aircraft.

anthperry
20th Nov 2005, 19:06
Big statement? Cant see how...only relaying my views on the college, yes i did train there, and as i have previously stated, have only good things to say

kula
22nd Nov 2005, 12:33
excellent thanks very much!

degothia
22nd Nov 2005, 13:15
Does this procedure only apply to pilots from the UK (comonwelth) or is it the same for everybody? Is it as "easy" to comvert your other certificates (CPL, IR ME) to australian ones?
Cheers, deGothia

redsnail
22nd Nov 2005, 13:57
degothia,

All the info you need is here (http://www.casa.gov.au/fcl/overbr.htm).

It's a bit of a read and scroll down to the bits you need.

Generally it's much easier to convert to Australian qualifications than it is to go from CASA to JAA....

degothia
22nd Nov 2005, 14:51
Thank you!
deGothia

Ekiam
22nd Nov 2005, 17:10
Hi everyone,
unfortunately I have no information for you, but I am looking for any info (advice) anyone can give me about flying schools in Australia in general.
So, please, if you have any experience with schools or academies there, please, let me know. I would be thankful for any pearls of wisdom.
Cheers...:)

Dude~
22nd Nov 2005, 19:56
Crikey No sponsor that sounds complicated. When I was there I turned up at a flight school, told them I'd like to hire a plane. They directed me to the nearest CASA office where I went without an appointment and left 30 mins later and $50 lighter with a green book - Special Pilots Licence.

I did my initial multi rating out there, but had great trouble getting it converted over to my UK licence.

no sponsor
22nd Nov 2005, 20:51
Yes, it has changed significantly, all due to maniacs flying aeroplanes into tall buildings.

Diamond 'katana' geezer
22nd Nov 2005, 21:10
Dude~

I'm just about to go over to Australia to get my Multi Endorsement.

I understand that if I want to convert to a JAA Multi-Rating, I need to get a letter fro the instructor and some other information too, not just hours in the logbook etc?

What’s the story? What really happens?

Sounds as if the CAA are their helpful selves again

Thanks in advance
Geez :cool:

LFS
23rd Nov 2005, 09:11
Hello Geez,

where abouts in Oz are you off to do the M/E

Diamond 'katana' geezer
23rd Nov 2005, 15:50
Hey Dylan

I'm doing the Multi from a place called Gladstone in Queensland. A couple hours north if Brisbane.

I'm doing some hour building on it too, got a good price.

Is a one man outfit, sounds promising.

hope your well mate.

Tom

Dylan,

You don\'t happen to know the workings of converting it to a JAA licence do you?

Tom

LFS
23rd Nov 2005, 16:41
I think it depends on whether you get a full CASA PPL or just a special licence. I have a special licence (which is quite similar to the FAA temporary Airmans Certificate) which is an endorsement on your PPL allowing you to fly in Australia without giving you a full CASA licence. I think adding a Multi to this in Oz would be difficult and be complicated to convert back (although I really do not know the full ins and outs). The other option would be to properly convert your JAA PPL to a CASA PPL then add the M/E rating to this. You could then simply convert this back in the UK with a flight test done at any FTO and the written test.

I hope that makes some sense, as I said I am not altogether sure about the special licence option but the converstion should work.

Gocat1
25th Nov 2005, 02:17
Another question on them.

How are their atpl notes? what’s the course like?

anthperry
25th Nov 2005, 18:34
Using notes from Cranfield, CATS, intergrated F ATPL course

BillieBob
25th Nov 2005, 21:15
Bit of a credibility gap here, anthperry -

1. There's no such thing as an integrated F ATPL course.

2. CATS don't do integrated training of any kind.

Perhaps you mean that WAAC are using the CATS modular ATPL theory notes?

Perhaps you could answer a couple of questions, just out of interest -

How far through the integrated ATPL course with WAAC are you?

How many others are on the course?

I repeat, nobody has yet graduated from a WAAC integrated ATP course and so nobody can say how good or bad it is, although I hear that the training procedures are modelled very closely on those of OAT.

anthperry
27th Nov 2005, 11:04
Check out the website, www.waaviationcollege.com.au, look under Intergrated JAA, u should find all of your answers there. As for me, I done the ozzie, ATPL, then converted to JAA; Dont be miss guided here im simply telling of my experiences with the college, and how they handled my training.
I cant comment on how many students go thru the ATP, as it does not start until Feb

AP

anthperry
27th Nov 2005, 16:34
***EDIT TO A PREVIOUS POST***

My appologies, one of my previous statements didt read correctly, waac will use CATS notes for there intergrated course, not notes from a CATA intergrated course, my bad!

pilotezulu
21st Dec 2005, 13:18
Hey guys,

Can anybody recommend any flying schools in Australia? I just got my PPL + VFR night rating from South Africa,....just trying to find a decent school in Australia where I might be able to get my CPL and ATP license.

I have been looking into this one:

http://www.basair.com.au

Any assistance would be great...

Cheers...

lookoutbelow
22nd Dec 2005, 12:26
Hi,

Speak to these guys,

Australian Wings Academy
Gold Coast Airport, Coolangatta
Tel: +61 7 5536 3622
www.ozwings.aero
[email protected]

I know the MD, George Crofts very well and the standard of training is very high and focussed around airline preperation and very practical.

Best regards

Lookoutbelow

pilotezulu
30th Dec 2005, 23:08
Thanks much for the info. i'll look into them. i'm not too sure which is better -- an Australian CASA CPL/ATPL or a South African CAA license?

I'm in the middle of figuring out where to go to get these licenses. just not sure if i must enrol in an integrated course, or just build the hours myself.

any experienced guys ... can somebody plz gimme some advice?

cheers,

pilotezulu

7gcbc
31st Dec 2005, 05:34
heard good things about basair, also check www.casa.gov.au

and don't discount www.curtisaviation.com.au , however in answer to your question regarding which is better, the Oz licence or the SA one, I can only say that the majority of the guys in dunnda would readily swap their OZ casa for a JAR Euro licence.

depends on where you see yourself in say 3-5 years time ? Bush in zimbo 180 or 206, NT in OZ ala 206 or 210 or flogging around euroland as a FO on a 37 low coster ?

You'll need a "student" aussie licence to commence training proper in oz (also you'll need security checks and asic card, check forum dunnunda for details or the above casa website).

In the meantime if your're in a hurry to get in the air, you can get a "special" licence with a BFR and then all you need to "hour build" is a checkout and endorsement, however if you wish to "train" for a cpl and require the magic word, "rating" you'll need an aussie student licence, you also only need to do a written BAK to be able to take the CPL exams ..... which is the same as converting your Zimbo PPL sans the flight test.

PM me if you want more info , I'm already juggling more licence variations and medicals (UK - JAR, FAA, CASA) than I can keep track of......
:uhoh:

pilotezulu
31st Dec 2005, 09:44
thanks for the link 7gcbc...

i do want to see myself flying for the airlines someday... i'm not sure what kind of line of work i can get into once i obtain my CPL. i do plan on doing the CPL with a multi-engine command instrument rating.

would it be worth going for a frozen ATPL as soon as i finish the CPL ... not sure how many years you have before you have to retake the ATP exams? do you know? i know in South Africa it's 5 years ... if you donot meet the required 1500 hours...

also,... what are the chances of getting jobs in Oz as a pilot, whether it be bush pilot or other ... if one doesn't have work rights? guess i don't really have work rights in europe either so would it be worth getting a JAA license as well?

redsnail
31st Dec 2005, 11:18
The competition in Oz for any flying job is incredibly tough. Only the select Qantas cadets have to bypass the GA time. Although I believe they are now being farmed out to turbo prop operators to get some experience before getting comfy on a 744.

GA time is instructing, bush flying, charter, scenics and the like. To an extent, the first turbine job will seem more like GA than airlines too. :D

Having said that, GA flying is probably the most fun you'll have in the flying industry.

To work in Australia you do need to have work permits and visas. Best to check out
Dept of Immigration (http://www.immi.gov.au/migrate/skilled.htm) for more information there.

To live and work in Europe you need the appropriate visas as well. The JAA license is probably the most expensive license on the planet. If you can't use it, I certainly wouldn't bother with it.

zakpeegoodus
21st Feb 2006, 11:02
I hold British and Australian Passports and an FAA ATP. I have never flown in the U.K/Europe but would like to convert to the JAA ATPL, cash depending!
Can anyone suggest any banks in the U.K or Australia that I could approach for a loan? I have few assets.

Thanks.

ianf
12th Mar 2006, 23:49
Can anyone recommend training schools in Australia? In particular Perth, but if none can be recommended here I would be interested country wide.

This is for CASA certification (Australia) not JAA.

Thanks.

hackysack
13th Mar 2006, 06:14
Hi,

Speak to these guys,

Australian Wings Academy
Gold Coast Airport, Coolangatta
Tel: +61 7 5536 3622
www.ozwings.aero (http://www.ozwings.aero)
[email protected]

I know the MD, George Crofts very well and the standard of training is very high and focussed around airline preperation and very practical.

Best regards

Lookoutbelow

Wouldn't go near that place, looks like some self promotion above there.
That school and the individual mentioned are the laughing stock of the airport.
Try the opposition up the road

hackysack
13th Mar 2006, 06:26
grand slam (http://www.pprune.org/forums/member.php?u=9725) vbmenu_register("postmenu_2367309", true);
Instead of being 'just another number' I could order a Personal Title (http://www.pprune.org/ptorder/ptorder.htm) and help support PPRuNe

Would this be the same George Crofts who was given a suspended sentence for hitting his cabin crew girlfriend in the car park at Glasgow when he worked for Airtours. There was an article in the Sun from around August/ September 1996. Anyone have a copy?
If he had declared his criminal record when he joined Cathay, he would not have been hired.
Astraeus crew would remember Crofts. He had to leave when one of the cabin crew reported him for stalking her.
Is falsifying logbook a sackable offence? If My Travel crew are to be believed, Crofts may have questions to answer in that department. When it comes to skeletons, Crofts has more than most.

irish86
11th Jun 2006, 15:36
Hey guys has any one very heard of http://www.australianaviationtraining.com/ as i recently have been about to apply to one their schools when i came across another school http://www.flying-school.com/ (national airline college) which had a disclaimer that its noting to do with the other school which worried me of the legitimacy of the school i was going go apply,

How ligit are the majority of flight schools you would find online?

itsbrokenagain
11th Jun 2006, 21:44
First thing, look for a REAL address, I cant find on on the first website, but I do see a phone number on the bottom of the pages, but this is australian cell phone number !!!

Stay away from this one, its obviously an agency, or someone getting a cut for sending students to flying schools. In all my years in flight training, the only time I sawa agents work well and with no problems was the education agents found throughout sth east asia. With this site, use the course page to apply directly to one of the schools.

The second one is a legitimate school, you can also see that they are a registered training provider with a audited trust fund by the CRICOS number on the webpage.

Its quite different in Australia for schools to be able to take foreign students, they must go through a lot of hoops, be part of a association, have insurance to cover any losses to students in case they go broke and are audited annually to keep the approval. So in a sense Australia is much much more protective of foreign students that happens in the USA, or even Europe!

Plus the Australia student visa used to allow you some work privileges ( I dont know if it still does )!

ps the disclaimer on the second site is probably due to confusion with another well known flight school there, and has nothing to do with the agent on the first site.

barney01
15th Jun 2006, 11:03
Let me start by saying I don't work for this place (but I have done in the past).

Try TVSA (AKA BMSA). They are the one company and have a school in Moorabbin and in Bacchus Marsh (both near Melbourne) - very good reputation with employers.

The web site pretty much says it all - don't know the web address but try a search with TVSA - something should turn up.

Most schools in Aus are pretty good with a couple of notable exceptions.

PM me if I can help.

alberto86
27th Jul 2006, 19:00
hello all,

is there any cheap place to make some hour-building in Australia or New Zealand? That would be great if it could be me/ir aswell.

thank you!

buggingout
28th Jul 2006, 09:07
you might need to narrow-it-down a little to specific areas, especially in Auz as it' rather large!

Basair on the outskirts of Sydney (Bankstown) is a large place and will let you hour build and do ME/IR.

www.basair.com.au

There is at least one other school at Bankstown where you can hourbuild that I know of.

Flying in Auz is great... :p

neilia
28th Jul 2006, 09:44
Yep, I did my PPL with Basair, they're a good bunch. And 152 rental will set you back the grand sum of around 50 quid an hour... You can go do the Sydney Harbour scenic, fabulous!!

However, make sure you check well in advance the security requirements, just before I left (Jan last year) CASA had introduced a draconian requirement for virtually *every* pilot to carry an airside pass, and these were taking up to 6 months to issue

gsxr750lrc
30th Jul 2006, 18:30
I'm headin to Sydney in Oct and i'll be lookin to build as many hours as i can in the 8 months i'll be there.
any other advice from anyone about experiences they've had over there would be appreciated.

neilia-do u actually know of people who've had to wait 6 months for their special pilot's licence to come thru? i only sent mine off 2 weeks ago-thot that would be plenty time for them to sort it out!!:uhoh:

bugginout-i've been in correspondance with basair and they do seem like a good bunch.(i'd like to be pushed towards CPL standard while im hour building, do u think they' be happy to help?)
i'm gonna be livin nearer Hoxton park tho-have u got any info on the schools up there?

alberto-if u do end up goin to Oz, let me know-i'll be a stranger over there too.

cheers

neilia
30th Jul 2006, 19:16
gsx,

The 6 months was for issue of an ASIC - Airside Identity Card - which is required if you're going to any airport that has RPT. Bankstown and Hoxton Park don't fall under this category, but a lot of airports that you might want to fly to do. There was a fairly active thread about them over on the D&G forum but all seems to have gone quiet now. Anyways, you can probably get away without one, it just means some of your more interesting flying destinations (Canberra for example) will be out of bounds. Have a word with schools, see what the situation is.

Basair were helping me out with CPL-targeted hours building - my instructor would set me "commercial" tasks, with a route and objectives, only given to me an hour prior to departure so I had to really sharpen up on flight planning & weather decisions.

A couple of schools at Hoxton Park - I don't know anything about them though:
http://www.phoenix.org.au
http://www.mcivers.com.au
It's not too far from Bankstown if you have your own transport.

Very jealous, wish I was heading back there! ;) - in fact I still might to finish off my CPL hours...

Neil

neilia
30th Jul 2006, 19:29
By the way, CASA produce some handy guides you can download, if you want to do a bit of reading in advance...

The Sydney Basin Guide covers the procedures for Bankstown and Hoxton Park
http://www.casa.gov.au/pilots/pilotgde.htm

And the Visual Flight Guide is the general guide to VFR in Australia (it's a little out of date, but I don't think too much has changed)
http://www.casa.gov.au/pilots/flitgde.htm

Probably the single biggest change since publication is procedures at non-towered aerodromes, covered in this article...
http://www.casa.gov.au/fsa/2005/oct/33-35.pdf

Steve aka Buk
30th Jul 2006, 19:32
neilia

I am also looking at going to Basair for some hour building. I understand that you require a Certificate of Validation. Can i ask - did you arrange this prior to arriving in Sydney or did you sort it out as soon as you arrived?

neilia
30th Jul 2006, 20:16
Hi Steve,

I did PPL from scratch in Australia so didn't have to go through this process, but CASA have the info on their website -
http://www.casa.gov.au/fcl/overbr.htm
Also Basair website:
http://www.basair.com.au/visiting.shtml

Sounds like the CV can be sorted fairly quickly, but if you're staying longer than 3 months you need a Special Licence which involves security checks and the CAA. Might be safest to contact CASA directly and see exactly what the score is.

By the way - it's just occurred to me that with the CPL hour building preparation, I already had a relationship with them - it takes time input from an instructor that they're effectively not getting paid for if you're on private hire rates. They probably will be happy to help out with it, but just thought I'd better add that disclaimer before you all turn up there saying "But Neil said..."..!! ;)

n

gsxr750lrc
31st Jul 2006, 16:53
neil,

cheers for all the links. i'll give them a thorough read in the next few weeks(down at bristol just now finishin off the last few bits of ATPL's-so shouldn't really have time t b on pprune!!)
all that stuff about basair helpin u with ur commercial hour buildin is just what i'm after but so i'd be willing to pay more if they could help. i'll give em a shout n c what they say-don't worry i won't say u said so!

steve - as i said previously i sent all my paperwork off for my special pilots licence a few weeks ago, i emailed a bloke called David Garnock, [email protected], at CASA who helped me thru the whole process. It's not too difficult just a bit time consuming gettin all the signatures.:zzz:

Liam

barney01
1st Aug 2006, 10:36
Two suggestions.

1. If you want twin hours try Gawne Aviation in Shepparton. They have a Seneca going out at $320ph AIRSWITCH, which works out cheaper than most places charge for a Seminole. And this was without purchasing a block (and most places will discount for block rates if you ask). I was there a few weeks ago and they seem very professional.

2. For single hours consider hiring an RAA registered aircraft. Much cheaper and licencing is much easier and cheaper. PM for some suggestions in this department.

Whichever you choose make sure you do a trip well away from the east coast, into the "Real Australia" (eg Camerons Corner where you taxi for fuel outside the only shop for 100's of miles, or Birdsville were the Hotel is 20 metres from the aircraft parking area..........yes I could go on!)

Nil Flaps
1st Aug 2006, 11:11
They both cost the same amount of money and for that reason, I'd say it's better you apply for an ASIC. If you need to fly to an alternate, you won't have to worry about whether you're legal or not to land there.

Goes without saying that the sooner you apply for it the better, but 6 months or longer and you'd have to be one of the unlucky ones.

I got my ASIC back in 5 weeks.

http://www.casa.gov.au/fcl/licence/fees.htm

rgmgbg01
1st Aug 2006, 14:32
Or go RAA route and you don't need an AVID or ASIC!

notneo
2nd Aug 2006, 21:10
Hello all, great site by the way, ive been doing alot of reading and getting informed, however because this site is pruned so often i havent been able to find an answer to the following....

I am lucky enough to have dual citizenship, French (EU) and New Zealand (aus/nz basically). I live normally in Sydney Aust but am currently in Nice France visiting family and later backpacking northern Africa, Europe, and Asia I am 20 btw. Obviously you can see that travelling is no problem for me.

My questions are:

redsnail (http://www.pprune.org/forums/member.php?u=13039) You would be better off using the Australian (or NZ) CPL to get a job flying in the great outback or Africa to build valuable and interesting experience before tackling Europe.

redsnail (http://www.pprune.org/forums/member.php?u=13039) Not quite right. If you hold an Australian CPL and IR (known as CIR = command instrument rating) then you'd have to do the flying to convert that, certainly wouldn't need 100 hours. The exact hours are a mystery to me. I did it another way. You'd also have to do the 14 JAA ATPL exams. If you'd done the Australian ATPL exams then you'd find that experience and knowledge a benefit.

**If i do gain my comercial license i would have no problem working anywhere in the world, be it asia, africa, europe or aus/nz to gain hours and to see what division of flying is for me, commercial or whatever. I am also not against working for aid companies such as UN, Red Cross to get hours even if pay is only enough to survive, who knows maybe some years seeing whats going on in parts of the wolrd may be really beneficial to me, cant be dior and LV bags everywhere all the time can it?? For example would gaining my license in Aust make it difficult to gain work in Africa / EU and vice versa?

redsnail (http://www.pprune.org/forums/member.php?u=13039)I believe there would be some form of conversion required for a SA license if you held an Aus/NZ lic. To convert the Aus to NZ or vice versa is extremely simple. It might only be a paper exercise, not sure. The 2 countries have aligned their respective authorities. You'd need to check with CASA (Australia) and NZ's regulatory authorities.

redsnail (http://www.pprune.org/forums/member.php?u=13039) The Australian ATPL* (or CPL + CIR and ATPL exam subjects) is good for Asia and African nations. The conversion is usually an Air Law exam or something like that. Possibly an IR check ride etc. Those specific things you'd need to check.

I am not asking for information on gaining medicals and trying a flight first, maybe this is a good idea for a sticky or adding into a FAQ because i havent found a thread where different countries have been summarised next to each other detailing, type of license, transf costs / procedures and likely hood of certain types of works on the different continents.

I realise this is a very detailed question but as it is answered even in parts I will edit my post so that individual questions have answers so it will be easy in the future for other people who search.

If i have overlooked a thread somewhere and this has been answered even in parts I am sorry, but as you can see I have put time into this so just let me know rather than flame. I also didnt post in the wannabe pilot thread that has been merged alot just incase it is suitable for another thread, if not please murge no issues here :)

Thank you in advance :)
Alex

redsnail
2nd Aug 2006, 21:51
"I realise that if i gained my commercial license in Aus/NZ i would have to transfer to the EU equivilant which would be about 100 hours flight time am i correct or have i researched wrong?"

Not quite right. If you hold an Australian CPL and IR (known as CIR = command instrument rating) then you'd have to do the flying to convert that, certainly wouldn't need 100 hours. The exact hours are a mystery to me. I did it another way. You'd also have to do the 14 JAA ATPL exams. If you'd done the Australian ATPL exams then you'd find that experience and knowledge a benefit.

You would be better off using the Australian (or NZ) CPL to get a job flying in the great outback or Africa to build valuable and interesting experience before tackling Europe.

See the world. Enjoy your flying. Then move on up to the jets. :ok:

Sure, it isn't the same as going "straight to the RHS of a shiny jet" but you won't regret the experience and fun.

notneo
3rd Aug 2006, 11:43
I don't want to go straight into the right hand seat to be honest, I want to use flying as a means to travel the world and see places I normally wouldnt plan on going to.

When you say you did it a different way could you explain a little??

Also are the licenses the same in aus/nz to south africa? or is a conversion required?

redsnail
3rd Aug 2006, 15:58
I believe there would be some form of conversion required for a SA license if you held an Aus/NZ lic. To convert the Aus to NZ or vice versa is extremely simple. It might only be a paper exercise, not sure. The 2 countries have aligned their respective authorities. You'd need to check with CASA (Australia) and NZ's regulatory authorities.

I held an Australian ATPL with +500 hours multi pilot time when I converted my Aus lic to a JAA one. So I didn't need to do a "CPL" or "IR" conversion per se, I just did a type rating on a JAR 25 a/c observed by a CAA examiner and that was my IR and lic check done in one go.

The Australian ATPL* (or CPL + CIR and ATPL exam subjects) is good for Asia and African nations. The conversion is usually an Air Law exam or something like that. Possibly an IR check ride etc. Those specific things you'd need to check.

It wouldn't matter whether it was a JAA lic, a CASA lic etc. Most countries expect some sort of conversion to take place. It can be like Europe that expects you to do 14 exams plus about 20 hours flying (IR stuff and maybe CPL stuff) or like Australia that expects a bridging exam, an IR exam, and a CIR flight check. (Maybe a CPL check too.)

The specifics of what you need to convert is dependant on your experience (hours) and actual license held.

I've used my quals to see pretty much all of Australia, now flown in the US (a tiny bit) and all over Europe, North Africa, Middle East, Russia and bits of the Atlantic. No 2 days are the same.

Ballistic
18th Oct 2006, 17:07
Guys and Girls,

Have any of you heard of Fast Track Pilot Training in Australia? If yes, do you have any information that you can provide in regards to quality of training and other issues that we tend to be concerned with when choosing flight schools abroad.

DeltaSix
19th Oct 2006, 03:34
The only fast track I know is the Direct CPL course without going through PPL subjects and flight test.

Another phase is the flight training - the more money you have the more hours you can gain quickly- that's fast track.

pm me if you need more info.

D6

whiskey1
19th Oct 2006, 05:00
Ballistic,
Just a quick question.
Your profile says your from UK.
Are you looking for a UK JAA licence or do you have the right to work in Australia and are therefore looking for a CASA licence?

If you want a JAA licence only place in Australia is:
http://www.waaviationcollege.com.au/
also do CASA courses.

Ballistic
19th Oct 2006, 11:18
Guys,

Here is the website I'm speaking about: http://www.ftpilottraining.com/

Yes, I'm living in the UK. I was pondering over the idea of getting a CASA licence and setteling out there given that it makes more financial sense compared to £60K that they're asking for at flight schools here.

I'm not sure what the make-up of the industry is like out in Australia. I spoke to a Pilot who works for Qantas whop tells me that there are not enough pilots out there at the moment so would be easier to get residence on the basis of a skilled migrant. Not sure what you guys think.

20driver
19th Oct 2006, 11:58
I think you should duck. Australia is like Canada, a small aviation industry with a lot of very hungry low time pilots.
20driver

neilia
19th Oct 2006, 12:57
Ballistic, there's no way you will get skilled migration as a pilot, it's not on the list and as 20driver says, Oz is swimming in pilots building hours as instructors, crop-dusters, parachute-droppers etc etc etc. Much much tougher place to get an airline job than Europe.

I'm not sure where your Qantas friend gets his idea of pilot shortages from, but I believe it's a long way from the truth, certainly in terms of low-houred FOs.

robdesbois
19th Oct 2006, 13:00
Hmmm good link to WA Aviation College whiskey - looks like a good place and worth a gander by the look of the website.
Anyone trained there and recommend it (or not)?

scroggs
19th Oct 2006, 17:55
You wish to leave the most active, voracious market for pilots in the Western world where it is common for pilots to be employed on jets with 200 hours, for one of the most closed, inward-looking, and weak markets, where a pilot needs several thousand hours before qualifying for jet employment? That's an interesting thesis! Perhaps you could explain your thinking?

Scroggs

DeltaSix
19th Oct 2006, 21:44
I agree.... Scroggs has a very good point. You guys in Eu have more chance of getting jet jobs at 200 hours. You'd be lucky to get a turbo prop job at 1500 hours here in Oz. I know one who has 3000 hrs and still couldn't get the job with a small regional operator.

Another thing, immigration has taken out pilots on the skills migration list so I wouldn't try that avenue.

However, training is much cheaper here compared to UK. Where in the world can you get multi engine training from $260/hr. I think that might be an equivalent of 104 pounds /hr if you can get a student or working holiday visa then convert your qualifications to JAA.

Good luck
D6

insomniac_32
21st Oct 2006, 13:05
Hi.I just finished college but have decided that computers aint for me.Ive always wanted to be a pilot so ive decided to train for my ATPl and have been looking around at various flight schools abroad and have come across Basair in Sydney and Western Australian Aviation College.I was wondering if anyone has any experience with either of these?Basair seems to be "reasonably" priced at AUSD$53,260 with WAAC'c course being AUSD$101,571 but WAAC's course is a JAA integrated course.Does anyone know if the basair course would require a conversion course when I get back to Ireland and what kind of time span and cost such a course takes? I was looking at PTC aswell but theyre €15,000 more expensive than WAAC.Plus from reading a few other threads Im a bit weary about PTC!?Also, could someone tell me what is meant by the "frozen" in an ATPL? All the above courses result in the issueing of a frozen ATPL.How will this affect me when I go looking for a job?

sharman
21st Oct 2006, 15:42
Just in case you are still interested....
There are a few courses available that do live up to the cheaper reputation. I'm currently doing a degree course with Swinburne University that includes CPL practical and APTL theory training with another UK pilot. It is comparitively cheap. We train with General Flying Services and there are avenues to progress to the airlines with some hard work. General Flying Services does train Qantas Cadet pilots and China Airlines pilots. After degree or diploma training a lot of them go onto instructor training with the GFS company then go onto the respective airlines relatively quickly. Not a bad way to go... get some extra qualifications as well.

scroggs
21st Oct 2006, 16:44
Western Australian Aviation College is covered here (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=228160).

Scroggs

robdesbois
21st Oct 2006, 17:52
insomniac: info about the different licences is around this forum, ATPL / 'frozen' ATPL are discussed in http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=134076

As far as I know WAAC are the only training organisation to actually train for the JAA licences, so yes you would have to convert your Basair licence. I'm not sure of the details on converting the Aussie licence to JAA though.

whiskey1
23rd Oct 2006, 08:59
Insomniac 32,
Yes you would have to convert your Aussie Licence to a JAA one.
Complete the Ground school.
Pass the 14 exams
CPL Flying and Test
Instrument Rating Flying (a Minimum of 15 hours) and Test
A MCC Course.

Expect it would take 6 to 8 months to convert anddoubt you'd save money.
If you want a JAA licence probably better to get it in the first place.

insomniac_32
23rd Oct 2006, 17:36
Cheers for the replies.If it takes another 6-8 months to convert the licence from Basair then I guess the course in WAAC would be the best bet plus I know people in Perth so Ill have free accomodation at least :ok:.

aero747
31st Oct 2006, 05:04
Guys,

Here is the website I'm speaking about: http://www.ftpilottraining.com/

Yes, I'm living in the UK. I was pondering over the idea of getting a CASA licence and setteling out there given that it makes more financial sense compared to £60K that they're asking for at flight schools here.

I'm not sure what the make-up of the industry is like out in Australia. I spoke to a Pilot who works for Qantas whop tells me that there are not enough pilots out there at the moment so would be easier to get residence on the basis of a skilled migrant. Not sure what you guys think.

Hey ye i've just completed the fast track course and managed to get a job with a secondary regional airline flying a metro 23. I got the job with only 160 flying hours and the commercial licence but i had to get the instrument rating so going on that it's not that hard to get a job over here. I believe the fast track course is the fastest in the world and i got my commercial pilot licence in 18 weeks from the time i started this is an excellent course that i would recommend to anyone. JAR pilots can also train in Australia on this course followed by a differences course through bristol ground school. You should get into the airlines alot quicker with the fast track course.

BillieBob
1st Nov 2006, 02:40
And, if you believe that, I've got this great deal that you just cannot afford to miss - send me £2,000 and I'll tell you what it is.

aero747
1st Nov 2006, 04:47
I know it seems unreal but this company has been developing this training over the last ten years. The facts are that the airline's are desperate for pilots and the key to getting a job is to get your licence asap because ther will be a big shortage of pilots world wide in the near future. I know that there are a few airline company's who have met with the ceo of the company and are interested in the training that this course provides. The great thing about the course is you can start any day you want, there are no set dates and you work at your own pace. I encourage any interested pilots to log on to the web site and have a look for themselves and contact the company through the contact button.

http://www.ftpilottraining.com

scroggs
1st Nov 2006, 16:46
Shortage, schmortage.... (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=244158) ;) :hmm:

Scroggs

WIKI44
3rd Nov 2006, 05:27
Does anyone know anything about Sydnhey Flight Training Centre located at bankstown Airport? I'm planning to go there to do a CPL + MEIR. I have met the MD of the school, and he seems like a very dedicated person. Thanks.

WIKI44
4th Nov 2006, 11:33
Hi Everyone! I'm thinking about joining Sydney Flight Training Centre for a CPL + ME + MEIR training in about 2 months. I'm going along with 6 of my colleagues. I just wanted to see if anyone has any information or advise on this school. This is going to entail a huge financial investment, and I really need to be sure this is the place. At first sight the place seems great. I have met the MD and he seems like a realy great guy. But alas, one can never be totally sure of a place until one is actually there. Any graduates from SFTC around who can give any recommendations? Thanks a bunch!

jackie_PF
5th Nov 2006, 02:54
Hi everyone,

Been a member for quite some time but hadn't made any posts as yet.

So Hi to everyone and am really grateful we have the pprune forum for everyone to share!!

Am looking closely into flying schools in Australia. Have got some useful tips in here for schools in Brisbane (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=223858&highlight=flying+training), some in Sydney but not yet for Melbourne, Adelaide, or any other parts in Australia. Any info on that would be really helpful!!! (or any directions to any of the previous posts would do too Thx so much!)

I work full time so am doing only self-studying. Got my leave organized next year in March about a month so I could do some flying, am aiming for the GFPT.

Am planning to try the CX Cadetship so was thinking to do the GFPT in Flight Training Adelaide where CX train cadets. (actually AFTC, Adelaide Flight Training Centre where they train private students)
and since they seem to have lower rates than most other schs elsewhere (AUD165/hr on a Grob G115, GST included) But rumours are they seem to drag progress of private students and acutally you pay the same (and more hours than usual) trying to get your PPL. I heard one took up to 8 months, 120 hrs for a PPL!

My questions are:

1. What are the recommendations of schools down in SYD, MEL and maybe even Perth?

2. What is the average of hrs ppl need to get a GFPT? (As an average person) min. is 20, but most ppl get it for 30? 40? What really is the average? or even for PPL? What is the average hrs?

3. I heard that FTA/AFTC in ADL is very strict to private students because their main clients are the airlines cadets. So they do have higher standards and demand more than what is needed to let you move you to the next stage, i.e. next solo. Would you agree?

3. I'm really looking to find a school where I can probably do one hr at least EVERYDAY. (I heard it's very slight chance in AFTC) Coz I really got only a month's time and I want to achieve as much as I can in that time. Is it most flying schools can cater for my requirement on that issue?

Thank you so much for your help!!

Jackie

aero747
7th Nov 2006, 01:15
hi i'm not sure about the school your asking about but i have just completed the fast track course anmd i know there are alot of jobs in india and you need to get your licence as soon as you can it only took me 18 weeks to go from no experience to commercial licence so this would be a good path for you to go down have a look at their web site www.ftpilottraining.com (http://www.ftpilottraining.com) and contact the company for some more info. I know they are going to be training some other students from india in early 2007 and you may be able to join that course.

aero747
7th Nov 2006, 01:17
Does anyone know anything about Sydnhey Flight Training Centre located at bankstown Airport? I'm planning to go there to do a CPL + MEIR. I have met the MD of the school, and he seems like a very dedicated person. Thanks.

hi i'm not sure about the school your asking about but i have just completed the fast track course and i know there are alot of jobs in india and you need to get your licence as soon as you can it only took me 18 weeks to go from no experience to commercial licence so this would be a good path for you to go down have a look at their web site www.ftpilottraining.com (http://www.ftpilottraining.com/) and contact the company for some more info. I know they are going to be training some other students from india in early 2007 and you may be able to join that course.

SAD IN QAC
16th Nov 2006, 18:48
hi all

plz help me where is the best and cheapest to take A FULL JAR liscinces .. in australia..

thanx

whiskey1
16th Nov 2006, 23:24
Sad in QAC,

Best, Cheapest and ONLY place to undertake JAR training in Australia is with Western Australian Aviation College.

They provided training for both JAR and CASA students

WIKI44
19th Nov 2006, 08:09
Hello everybody! I'm desperate to find any information on these two schools. I live in India so its impossible for me to visit to check them out. Online there isn't too much about them either, other than the official stuff. So, if there are any graduates or people who have any knowledge of these two school please let me know. I'm planning to join SFTC, but i just need to get my info right before i set out there! Thanks!

Alex 009
19th Nov 2006, 09:56
have a look at BASAIR. I am now only a few weeks away from my CPL and have found the training great, and get on with most of the instructors. After CPL its time to get I/R then instructor rating. Hopefully see some of you down at YSBK in the future. By the way, I am interested in a PA31 endoresment early next year. Anyone help?

dream747
20th Nov 2006, 03:04
With regards to Basair, I see that they don't offer the ATPL, do they?

dream747
20th Nov 2006, 15:50
I see that Basair don't offer the ATPL, do they?

Alex 009
22nd Nov 2006, 04:12
They dont as such offer ATPL, but they do have ATPL course (Ab-initio all the way through to CASA ATPL theory). You train with BASAIR all the way through to the Multi Instrument rating, then on completion of that you are sent over the road to the UNSW flying faculty to do the ATPLs there. Since I am however half british, half aussie I am doing instructor rating, and then heading over to Perth to convert to JARs.

iamanaussiemavrick
22nd Nov 2006, 10:59
hi wikki

i just read ur posts.

i am from india and i am training with basair.

as per my view i think all the schools are good in YSBK...but aerospace is the best with basair.. in terms of operations..

but if you are of them i think SFTC would be good...

if u got further queries mail me at [email protected]

eliasg17
13th Jan 2007, 10:03
Hello
i wanted to ask about australian flight schools...
do they have good quality of training?do european airlines accept australian flight schools(after the conversion an JAA fatpl)?
could anyone say there opinions or which is a good flying school
regards:ok:

Mobba
16th Jan 2007, 10:50
I am considering going to Australia to raise funds for my commercial training and completing my training at Perth Flight school.

Has anyone had experience with this school and does anyone have any experience about how reputable an Australian commercial Licence is with European employers.

Thank you

neilia
16th Jan 2007, 13:16
You do realise that you can only work for a European employer if you have a JAA licence? An Australian CPL is worthless here, you would have to convert it to JAA, which includes doing all 14 JAA ATPL exams. When I investigated this route a couple of years ago I came to the conclusion that for the cost and effort involved it would be just as easy to do the whole lot in the UK in the first place.

However, a PPL and hour building in Australia would make sense, as flying costs are about half of UK costs.

Mesopause
16th Jan 2007, 14:26
Mate come on down to Aussie where the sun always shines, the beers always cold & and the shiela's are beautiful!! Don't get sucked into a course in Europe where the sun rarely shines, the beers hot & ....
We might even teach you how to play some cricket. Imagine a holiday and flight training all wrapped into one. What they're NOT telling you is that you can get an Aussie Pilot Licence and do a quick conversion back home for a lot less money!! Same qualification at the end of the day as far as JAR is concerned!! There are a couple of options in Perth. You can do the JAR course with the Western Australian Aviation College but also check out Fast Track Pilot Training. They have developed an incredibly quick CPL course which only takes 18 weeks at http://www.ftpilottraining.com :ok:

eliasg17
16th Jan 2007, 15:50
neilia...where did you do your training?
the cost in the uk is tooo much...
Are you a pilot for an airline?
regards

neilia
16th Jan 2007, 17:22
I'm in ATPL groundschool, and did my PPL with Basair in Sydney.
Regardless of how expensive it is, if you want to fly for an airline in Europe (I assume that's your intention?) then your professional licence must be European.
Egnatia seem to offer reasonably priced training in Greece.

eliasg17
16th Jan 2007, 18:17
Yes i do want to fly in Europe...
The reason i want to go to BASAIR or any other sydney school is because i am an australian citizen and i have a house near bankstown...(i left AUS 4 years ago i am GREEK/AUS:) )
when i finish the CPL i will come to europe and do the JAA ATPL THEORY at Egnatia Aviation...
Can i ask where you are doing your ATPL?
exept that it is expensive is it a good school?Does it have reputation in europe as a good pilot school?
regards and good luck on your ATPL

Mobba
16th Jan 2007, 22:04
Thanks for the responses I have done alot of research and agree if you want to fly in Europe you need to train in a European school, I just wanted to see if anyone had found a way round this. I assume it works the same way vice versa in that a European licence will not be of any value in Austrialasia??

Thanks

Peto
17th Jan 2007, 02:44
Just to update some of the information mentioned above, it is now possible to do fully approved Integrated and Modular JAR training in Australia at the Western Australian Aviation College. For the Integrated course (which has been approved by the U.K. CAA), the first 53 weeks of the course is done in Australia with the remaining 5 weeks done in the U.K. at Cranfield. I work for this college. Details can be found at http://www.waaviationcollege.com.au/courses/JARIntegrated/index.asp

KezFlyer
17th Jan 2007, 03:39
Hi Peto

Just to give you a quick background, I am a UK resident about to undertake an Advanced Diploma In Aviation here in Sydney with a view to becoming an instructor, gaining the necessary hours and applying to the airlines. I have looked into the possibilities of JAA training if I wish to work back in the UK, can you let me know the ins and outs of JAA training at your college once I have an Australian ATPL? Do you have any ex students who have gone on to success in Europe/UK??

Thanks very much

Peto
17th Jan 2007, 04:36
Hi Kezflyer,
Details about converting Aus (and any other ICAO) CPL or ATPL to JAA can be found here http://www.waaviationcollege.com.au/courses/JARModular/index.asp
Our first JAR Integrated course started mid last year and is not programmed to finish until later this year so I do not have historical employment figures to give you at this time.
Regards
Peto

KezFlyer
17th Jan 2007, 21:05
Is anyone able to give me some first hand views on the training at Aerospace Aviation in Sydney? I am looking to do my ATPL there, I had looked at Basair but found Aerospace to be a little cheaper (I know, not the best reason!) but they still seemed to maintain the standards I saw at Basair, seem to have better facilities and were more helpful.

I am now hearing a few conflicting stories on Aerospace so if anyone can help it would be much appreciated.

Also I was thinking there should perhaps be a whole new string on this forum with first hand information on flight schools around the world, anyone else?

vern
27th Jan 2007, 06:31
hi all,

kindly express your view on Flight training in australia.

thanks in advance,
vern.

redsnail
27th Jan 2007, 07:10
Excellent.

Good quality instructors.
Challenging environment (ie weather and in some parts, airspace)
Flexible options. ie if a prolonged bout of bad weather hits, you can shift to an area that's ok. (some schools)
Comparatively cheap.

vern
27th Jan 2007, 10:48
thanks redsnail:)

scroggs
27th Jan 2007, 19:51
And it's quite surprising that no-one else has ever thought of asking the question before - oh, wait a minute, what's this? 6 pages of discussion on exactly that topic...

Vern, sorry for the sarcasm, but nearly every question you have thought of about flight training (and many you haven't) have been asked and answered here. For all those new to Pprune, please look around before you post - and go first of all to the READ THIS FIRST (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=131649) sticky at the top of the page, if only for the sake of the blood pressure of those of us who see - and answer - the same things over and over again.

Scroggs

AHMC
28th Jan 2007, 11:09
For the phase after the PPL which is generally pretty costly - i have been flying with Bruce Hartwig which is based at Parafield in Adelaide, next door to FTA. They are pretty good and operate the DA-20, PA28 and some twins. Their base rate is about $120 AUD for a DA-20 then you pay for fuel but it works out around 125 AUD / hour - not bad.

Flying in Australia is a little different to the UK and if you're interested i have written an article here (http://www.azard.com/gallery/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=13&Itemid=1) so if you are thinking about it then it's worth reading this article first and planning properly. Things like DR, fuel checks and time checks need to be proficient if you are planning to fly day VFR.

Hope it helps,

AHMC (http://www.letsventit.com)

Clare Prop
28th Jan 2007, 11:41
An option if you are looking to do the JAR thing, is to do PPL and hour building up to 175 hours in Aus, then return to the JAR country and do a modular course.

A lot cheaper than doing the integrated, and no conversion worries.

mic_2424
28th Jan 2007, 16:21
Hey everyone,

Does any one have any information about this flying school(PROFLITE)?
It is situated near bankston Airport.

Thanks

Rahul

vern
29th Jan 2007, 12:35
how does Sydney Flight Training Centre fare?

kingrobinson
4th May 2007, 01:02
I am currently doing my PPL in the UK and whating to continue on the long road to the ATPL. I am looking at moving to Australia to complete my licence on a full time course. But I would like to know weather this is the best place to go. :confused:

Ofcourse the money side is a big draw there but will the level of experiance and training be the same? I am not sure to go to Melbourne or sydney at the moment. But there is always the options of going to the US or even South Africa. Can anyone in the know please give me some greatfully recieved advice.

edymonster
4th May 2007, 08:55
They always say train in the country you want to actually fly in (i.e. get a job in).

kingrobinson
4th May 2007, 15:36
i do appreciate that it would be an advantage to do my atpl in the uk but with it being double the price it may not be possible.

EpsilonVaz
4th May 2007, 18:10
Try Egnatia Aviation in Greece. www.egnatia-aviation.com (http://www.egnatia-aviation.com)

chrisyross
4th May 2007, 20:42
Isn't Florida the cheapest place?
Genuine question - I'm fairly new to this game.

Effee
4th May 2007, 20:49
I think Australia would be the cheapest due to currency rate. But would the licence difference affect? One is FAA (US) and the other is ICAO (AUS) Which do employers want more?

kingrobinson
5th May 2007, 00:08
hi you can do the JAA course in australia to. So that would qualify you to the same standard as if you did it in the UK.

Does anyone know anything about the following collages in Australia.

http://www.tvsa.com.au/home
http://www.australianaviationtraining.com/index.php?lang=en&page=home
http://www.aerospace-aviation.com.au/index.php
http://www.kestrelaviation.com.au/index.html
http://www.rvac.com.au/

kingrobinson
5th May 2007, 01:07
hi you can also do the JAA licence in australia so intheory you will be as qualified as if you did it in the UK and for half the price.

Effee
5th May 2007, 01:17
So the australian licence will be JAA ? Or CASA? What are some reputable schools to do the CASA in?

Peto
1st Jun 2007, 03:36
Just wanted to clarify one point from your post. The Western Australian Aviation College is fully approved by the U.K. CAA to offer JAR Integrated Aeroplane training (the only school in Australia to hold such approval). The course is 60 weeks long with the majority being completed in Australia and the last flying component (multi IR) and MCC component completed in the U.K. THERE IS NO CONVERSION PROCESS REQUIRED AFTER THIS COURSE. After successful completion if the IR skills test at the end of course you qualify for issue of a JAR licence. :ok:

roxar
11th Jun 2007, 10:35
hi guys..
im want to ask if i take my CPL fATPL ME Ir at waaviation is that a CASA approve?..
if it possible to convert to JAA or FAA?..
and which FS is better?..
Flight training Australia or Wa Aviation College?
mind to share?

whiskey1
12th Jun 2007, 04:08
At Western Australian Aviation College you can undertake both JAA and CASA training.

TCU LUX
26th Jul 2007, 08:48
Hi All,

I'm heading down under around mid Oct for 4 weeks of hour building - after finishing the ATPLs :sad:. Any of my fellow prunners going to be in the area (Perth) during that time? Would be good to meet up for some flying.

Has anyone already completed hour building in Oz? What were your experiances compared to flying in UK/Europe.

Thanks for any info.:ok:

pilot1991
29th Mar 2010, 21:04
Please whatever you do...do not go to Australian Wings Academy

The school fills you with lies...AWA is self distructing...all they care about is Air Asia cadets..if your not one of them they couldnt care less..however they do when it comes to paying them!

Who do you think is going to get priority when you want to book a flight? you (self funded individual, or an air asia cadet)...i'll leave that one up to you!

Air asia students are already 3 months behind schedule (despite the weather thats been happening) The school has never heard of the word "organize"

Also since I started flying there I have seen more than 15 instructors leave (most of them fired or got fed up with the school nonsense it creates) The school is on the brink of collapsing as the air asia contract will certainly been cancelled before the end of the year. Once that happens there will be very few people left as most of the self funded students have left as a result of the schools inability to book flights, and lacking customer satifisfation!

Karma is a b****! Please dont make the same mistake we (ex awa students have!). Anymore questions let me know

Pilot1991

lady flyer
15th Sep 2010, 09:36
Hey guys,you all seem to be quit informed on what the aviation industry is like in aussi,i am a kenyan just starting out,pretty much have gone through 3/4 of my PPL,and im looking at other options of maybe further studies elsewhere and i've heard a little about australia.
Can anyone please advise me on what the schools are like there,what they have to offer,cost of flight trainning in general though i have to say my main area of interest would have to be in Canberra?
All and any advise is welcome,and will be much appreciated,
feel free to email me
thanx,
:p

b_p83
16th Sep 2010, 10:04
Hey
Regardinng flying schools in AUS, as im orginally from Melbourne and done all but not all of my Training there.
The one and only school i recommend anyone attending at Moorabin would be..
Peter Bini Advanced Flight Training..
Currenly in Bankstown just completing my MECIR and only place i got recomended and many recomend is
Whitworth Aviation

So thats my take on the whole thing, atleast for what i know lol
:)
Cheers

lady flyer
22nd Sep 2010, 09:42
Thanx so much u have no idea how much of a big help ur being...atleat now i have an idea of where to start rather than jumping into this totally clueless...thanx a great deal!!!!
:)