PDA

View Full Version : Night Fire Bombing USA

Blackhawk9
16th Jan 2007, 09:14
Was watching the news the other day and it had the large fires consumming millionaires houses in LA with some excellent footage of LA County FireHawks and LA County or LA City 412's doing night Firebombing (WaterBombing for those who pefer!!), must be on NVG's? The boys must have large brass ones to do it at night ,its bad enough during the day . my hats off to them, though i still think dem krazy!!

NickLappos
16th Jan 2007, 13:38
One of the LA County pilots (who shall go nameless here unless he steps forward himself) is now famous for this incident:

Fighting such a fire, he dipped his Black Hawk's water hose into a fellow's swimming pool and halved its content in about 1 minute, then flew quickly back to dump this on the fire (that was threatening the neighborhood, mind you).

The pool-owner complained that the invasion was unwarrented, and demanded compensation, even though local law allows the use of water for emergency purposes.

Said Helo driver is cautioned, then decides to drop 10,000 lbs of water into pool-owner's Volvo convertable, perhaps because it looked dusty.

Typical response to authority from a former US Army Warrant Officer, I think!

SASless
16th Jan 2007, 14:58
As a charter member of the Phu Loi Division, Geronimo Chapter, Warrant Officers Protective Association (WOPA)....I applaud our Brother for his devotion to duty and being able to retain a sense of humor while under great stress. In my capacity of Couth Control Officer for the Chapter (and former Orange Hat) ....I whole heartedly endorse his conduct in this matter. I would suggest the convertible dump would have been much more effective if he had been able to use a load of the Orange Retardant. :ok: :ok:

Heli-Ice
16th Jan 2007, 22:30
This is what I call being polite!

Returning the poor mans water, missing the swimming pool by just a few meters. :ok:

B Sousa
17th Jan 2007, 02:22
"The pool-owner complained that the invasion was unwarrented, and demanded compensation, even though local law allows the use of water for emergency purposes."

Typical of the Malibu Mentality.

I know one of those former types and would atribute it to him, but I think he retired long before the hawks got there. Wonder if folks remember C W from L.A. and also former warrant. What a character.