PDA

View Full Version : Twin Jet with L/G problems in WA

pilotdude09
16th Jan 2007, 07:53
Hey guys,
Just watching the regional news here in WA and they said that a "Twin Jet on approach to Karratha airport has landing gear problems and the pilots could not lower it but managed to lower them by hand and landed with no further problems" One could only think that this would be the 738 or the 717 unless there was an alliance charter or similar? Any thoughts or any one in the know able to shed some light?
Cheers

Just had a look at QF's site and found the following:

QF1914 Perth-Karratha sched: 12:40 actual: 13:28

My thoughts are it was the 717, but i may be wrong!

Green gorilla
16th Jan 2007, 08:47
I was in Karratha this morning and arvo all jets were on time and no aircraft parked up.

pilotdude09
16th Jan 2007, 09:23
Strange, prob the media making a big deal of something standard!

Btw what were you doing up this way?

Cheers

man on the ground
16th Jan 2007, 09:59
It was PA31 !!

small problem with the gear, diverted to KA, all sorted

pilotdude09
16th Jan 2007, 12:14
Cheers for that, had me wondering what the hell it could be, made it out to be more than what it was, so much for a "Jet" :ugh: thought we had some sort of action at the airport lol

RENURPP
16th Jan 2007, 22:16
managed to lower them by hand

Just wondering, what other methods are available for lowering undercarriage?:rolleyes:

The Voice
16th Jan 2007, 22:56
what other methods are available

some years back up BRM way, there was a pilot with pax in a 210. There was some issue with gear not extending properly for landing, so the pax (enterprising chap he was) used a belt to pull it into place.

True story!

WynSock
16th Jan 2007, 23:18
Another bloke - I think it was here in Cairns was getting the wheels up after taking off in an amphibious C208 when he lost nearly all the hydraulic fluid. With one wheel down, and one up, neither water or runway were good options. He stuck the thing on autopilot, left the controls to go and fish around down the back for something to top up the fluid reservoir. A jar of pickles provided enough fluid to get the wheels back down - now that is lateral thinking.

Green gorilla
16th Jan 2007, 23:37
You will find the AC 210 that had the gear problem was VH BIV owned by Polar Aviation it was over Port Hedland the pilot is now with Qantas.

Desert Flower
17th Jan 2007, 02:45
A jar of pickles provided enough fluid to get the wheels back down

I remember once hearing a FSO advising the pilot of a C210 flying around with landing gear problems that if no other fluid was to hand then p**s in the reservoir!

DF.

Bula
17th Jan 2007, 03:47
Bottle of water in Broome on a C208 float.. similar scenario

willadvise
17th Jan 2007, 07:10
For those interest in the pickled amphibian the Flight Safety article can be found here http://www.casa.gov.au/fsa/2003/nov/21-23.pdf