PDA

View Full Version : Brisbane to Perth in an SR20

J430
16th Jan 2007, 04:30
I would be keen to hear any suggestions on the best route, with places that have fuel, any suggestions on stopover's accomodation etc. Also for the return trip which would quite likely have a different stop over point.

Planned a/c is Cirrus SR20 with say 150kts cruise. 2 pilot trip so long days and rest not as critical.

Cheers
J:ok:

Shouldhe
16th Jan 2007, 05:36
Forrest is an interesting place (to say the least). There is fuel and accomodation (the caretakers in one house and another 4? houses) and nothing else! You have to get a stubbie cooler there!

If just stoppping over for fuel, call ahead and the caretakers will make you sangas for lunch.

Ratshit
16th Jan 2007, 08:16
How about YBAF, YBCV, YBVD (if you have never been there), YCBP, YFRT, YSKG, YPJT?

Are you coming back? If so, consider going over YBAF - YCMU - YCBP, and coming back via YLTN, YAYE, YBDV, and YBCV.

Great trip!

R:cool:

BrazDriver
16th Jan 2007, 08:17
Tibbooburra on the nsw/qld/sa border is an interesting place for a stopover. 2 pubs is what keeps the town going. AVGAS available from the pub. Good hospitality when I stayed

Squawk7700
16th Jan 2007, 08:22
150... hmmm... at 15,000 ft perhap! TAS

Ratshit
16th Jan 2007, 08:38
150... hmmm... at 15,000 ft perhap! TAS

Never flown one! Have no desire to either!

But my flight plan program says 153 kts ???

R:cool:

load it, launch it
16th Jan 2007, 09:08
Some potential places to stay are:
YGLS - Giles - has roadhouse, avgas, you could also visit the weather station if you are so inspired
YWMC - William Creek - has pub, store (great burgers), avgas, caravan park
YWBR - Warburton - has a roadhouse with accomodation and food, shop, avgas
YCBP - Coober Pedy - another town with all facilities, careful where you stay if overnighting as had to walk from town to airport due to no taxi's or shuttle service
Hope this helps

Squawk7700
16th Jan 2007, 10:23
Yeah well they go ok, but they aren't a 150+ knot machine. On paper perhaps. Payload is a little low for the money, but that's a whole other thread.

Sunfish
16th Jan 2007, 19:43
With respect, if you are taking a Cirrus, you had better be landing on tarmac and not gravel and plan accordingly.

Squawk7700
16th Jan 2007, 21:33
There are no problems with the Cirrus on gravel, rocks or grass. 600-700 metres of bitumen is usually enough in Victoria for 3 POB. Grass is no issue and neither is gravel. I've taken an SR20 into Yarram on grass and gravel, Boort which is dirt / grassy / crappy / rough, Flinders Island which is sand, plus Avalon east which is moderately rough grass and Phillip Island which is rock. No issues on any of those surfaces.

J430
16th Jan 2007, 23:31
Rat****, thanks for the tips on those two options. Good ideas indeed!

Squawk.....you are probably correct, they do overcook their published numbers, I think 156 at 75% yet the publish Range at 55%......hence i quoted a nominal 150kts just as a round number so someone who is not familiar with it can comment not thinking its a C208 or C172.

Sunnie.....yes they go alright on gravel and grass, but they are light in the u/c department for really rough strips in my opinion too. This one is not my aircraft (I use grass and gravel anytime) so I would be planning for better than rough strips.

Thanks for the suggestions folks, any others would be interesting too.

J:ok: