PDA

View Full Version : INTRA-OCULAR LENS Surgery

planecrazy.eu
15th Jan 2007, 16:20
Hey All...

Been for a consultation today and my perscription is just over what they will do Lasik on...

R = +4.75 / -2.25 ASTG
L = +5.25 / -2.25 ASTG

+5 or less is needed, so they said to me, you can have "INTRA-OCULAR LENSES"???

After a little talk on them, they seem to be lens implants... Do the CAA Recognise this type of procidure? Im impatiant and cant wait for the office to open in the morning so currious of anyone knows?

I used UltraLase for a consultation, are there any other reputable companies offering Lasik out there?

Cheers all...

Blues&twos
15th Jan 2007, 21:18
Hello PC.

Intra-ocular lenses sound a bit extreme! Don't know whether this would be accepted in a medical.

Just for info here's a link to a site which describes what they are and who they are suitable for:

http://www.eye-care.org.uk/item_view.php?item_id=269&content_id=6 (http://www.eye-care.org.uk/item_view.php?item_id=269&content_id=6)

Apologies if you already know all this stuff...just thought others might be able to help if they knew what was involved in the procedure....

Loose rivets
15th Jan 2007, 22:29
His eyes arn't that bad!!!

planecrazy.eu
15th Jan 2007, 23:06
lol, i could read that quite well even with my week eye. Thanks for the info... To be honest, i am willing to do what it takes to get a C1 medical, i aint giving up just yet, so if its acceptable, extreme or not, it may be my only way.

But after getting all down, i found a laser surgery that would do it for me under lasik, Ultralase wont, but there are a few others that will, so i think more research and some chats with the CAA are in order...

ACIDO
16th Jan 2007, 10:11
Hey All...

Been for a consultation today and my perscription is just over what they will do Lasik on...

R = +4.75 / -2.25 ASTG
L = +5.25 / -2.25 ASTG

+5 or less is needed, so they said to me, you can have "INTRA-OCULAR LENSES"???

After a little talk on them, they seem to be lens implants... Do the CAA Recognise this type of procidure? Im impatiant and cant wait for the office to open in the morning so currious of anyone knows?

I used UltraLase for a consultation, are there any other reputable companies offering Lasik out there?

Cheers all...

But is it for an initial medical or for a renewal?
I'm not an opthician, but your prescription seems to be out of the initial limits established by JAR-CAA (max 6 diopters of total correction for the initial and however not more than 5 diopters of total correction to be authorized to have refractive surgery).

If I'm not wrong, you total correction is
R 7 diopters
L 7,50 diopters

ACIDO

Creep Feed Grinder
16th Jan 2007, 11:43
Had a converstion along these line with my optician a few months ago. He said it depends how your prescription is written.
R = +4.75 / -2.25 ASTG
L = +5.25 / -2.25 ASTG
I think that in the above you would no nock off the astig. and come out at 2.5 & 3.00. You're still out by a 0.25 and over on the astig. Get another eye test. I had mine done again and my prescription came out 1.0 less in my left and 0.5 less in my right. Made the difference needed.:)
Good luck
CFG

ACIDO
16th Jan 2007, 12:51
Had a converstion along these line with my optician a few months ago. He said it depends our your prescription is written.
R = +4.75 / -2.25 ASTG
L = +5.25 / -2.25 ASTG
I think that in the above you would no nock off the astig. and come out at 2.5 & 3.00. You're still out by a 0.25 and over on the astig. Get another eye test. I had mine done again and my prescription came out 1.0 less in my left and 0.5 less in my right. Made the difference needed.:)
Good luck
CFG
Are you sure that astig. has to be detracted?
The new version of JAR medical requirements(as to NPA28) says that "If you need correction the amount of correction must not exceed +5,00 diopters of long sight and -6,00 of short sight. This is in the most ametropic meridian (taking into account any astigmatism)"
In my opinion, this means that astigmatism must be added, not detracted.
Se also http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=198207&page=6.
Good bye
ACIDO :bored:

Tamesy1
16th Jan 2007, 13:04
Acido is dead-on

It is a measure of your TOTAL correction that is used, add the numbers together whether or not it has +/- in front of it will give you this.

Take Creeps advice and see another optician, worked for me as well

Creep Feed Grinder
16th Jan 2007, 16:23
ACIDO & Tamesy1
Are we all sure about this correction calc.
If someone is -6 cyl -1 astg = -7 Agreed ?
If someone is +6 cyl + 1 astg = +7 Agreed ?
'Total ametropic meridian taking astigatism into account' It does not say add the astigatism.
I was told (rightly or wrongly) that the above prescriptions could also be written.
-7cyl +1 astg
+7cyl -1 astg
Dont get confused between long & short sight.
CFG

Tamesy1
16th Jan 2007, 17:28
If someone is -6 cyl -1 astg = -7 Agreed ?
If someone is +6 cyl + 1 astg = +7 Agreed

Assuming you meant -6 SPH there?
CYL-inder is a measure of astigmatism itself.

I think 'taking into account' means that total correction, including SPH and CYL, cannot exceed 6D, therefore making the above prescription ineligable.

Not sure about the +/- thing, suppose it would depend on the method of the optician. I do know however, that whether it is +/-, it is irrelevant in calculating your overall correction from SPH and CYL.

Basically, add the numbers together. If your still not sure, phone GAtwick and read them your prescription...

Tamesy

planecrazy.eu
16th Jan 2007, 22:53
Thanks for the replys all...

They have been helpful for sure, i am however getting a negative feeling like i am to far out the limits to get any joy and get the all important medical, but im rining the CAA tomorrow to get my definate answer and going to go from there...

If its a no, just gotta pray in the future that they relax the rules just a little more so i am within the limits, however, i might be wrong but it looks like the future might just hold tighter restrictions and requirements?

limeen
20th Jan 2007, 15:14
Planecrazy, do not have lasik surgery, having a + in front of your prescription limits lasik surgery to a maximum of +3 in order to guarentee results.
Some other lasik providers might give you the go ahead, but they will be in your eyes for the money not for your benefit.

Intra-ocular lenses are a very good solution that not everyone suits, you need to go through a few tests to measure the space available in between retina and cornea, different prescriptions need more space than others, being longsighted is one of them, so no ophtalmologist can say that you can have intra-oculars before this tests are done.

By the way, the CAA might not be very happy about surgery as you are not within limits for Class I initial.
Do not bother to get a different prescription somewhere else, if you ever make it to Gatwick for the initial class 1, you will have a proper one done over there, and in your case that is the one that counts.

Loose rivets
20th Jan 2007, 20:06
With the greatest respect to everyone, this is a bewilderingly confused thread. Remember, I'm a pilot (time expired) not a doctor.

Let's go back a step or two.

You want to hold a class one medical and your ‘natural' prescription is too far out to allow for lasic-type treatment.

You have CYL & SPHERICAL figures which you are trying to sum so that you get a net figure for aviation assessment.

The figures do not, at this time, allow you to apply for the medical. What can be done?

Well, keep your chin up, because there have been great strides in surgery over the last 20 years, but you need to compartmentalize your eye defects.

The information you need must come from consultant eye surgeons. Heading off to a lasic type place could leave you.........well, I won't even go there. You need unbiased and skilled professional advice.

You need to know where the defects (plural) lie. Is the astigmatism in the lens or the cornea? Is the focus defect in the lens or the cornea? There is no point whatsoever in trying to fix an error that is caused by two defects, by some barbaric attack on the outer eye.

It is imperative to sort the wood from the trees when considering an implanted lens. They work, and I hear comments like (following cataract surgery) ‘It's the first time in my life that I wake up and can see across the bedroom.' A lifetime of blurred vision without glasses, is often corrected to near perfect vision after cataract. I say often, because a lot of places don't set very high standards, and specs are needed to correct the residual problems....but it is possible to aim for everything but the ability to vary the focus. Wearing ‘readers' is a small price to pay. Having said this, some lenses are supposed to be controllable. Cutting edge stuff, and I have no personal knowledge of it, but it's there...now.

Lou Scannon
21st Jan 2007, 10:51
If Ultralase don't recommend any procedure I would be very careful about ignoring that advice.

I had an eye corrected by them some months ago and found them extremely professional and cautious about what they recommend. I had the most thorough eye test that I have ever had in over 40 years of military and airline flying.

There are always firms who will give you what you want (in return for cash) and not what you need.

world
22nd Jan 2007, 18:05
If you want to count your astigmatism, divide it by 2.

Example. Somebody with -4 cyl would see similar to one with -2 sph.

Astigmatism (cylinder D is not same as sphere D).
Check out wikipedia.

When are those vision requirements going to relax :rolleyes: