PDA

View Full Version : Cargo stands at LHR

ExecJetDriver
15th Jan 2007, 10:48
Been meaning to post a thread on this for a while: Surely I can't be the only person who finds the cargo stands used for exec aircraft at LHR totally unacceptable? Lorries and fork lift trucks driving (and reversing!) around the aircraft, baggage bins stacked, broken pallets, bolts, etc. FOD galore! Also not really the sort of surroundings passengers expect to arrive or depart from. Is it normal to wait in the taxiway with engines running waiting for the stand to be cleared?! :mad:

Fried_Chicken
15th Jan 2007, 19:39
Unfortunetly, there aren't many other options at Heathrow. Occasionally the Royal Suite stands may be used if its a short visit & they're not needed for other traffic. Likewise, some of the T4 stands are occasionally used depending on parking.

I don't think BAA are too interested with GA at Heathrow, especially since Metro's hangars were torn down.

Depending on the customers requirements (& aircraft size), there are plenty of other options around London; Farnborough, Fairoaks, Blackbushe, Biggin Hill & Luton with all the above a short helicopter ride to Battersea (or a slightly longer drive to Central London)

Fried Chicken

LRdriver II
15th Jan 2007, 21:38
Yep.. crappy parking, loooong taxi times and long drives around to the FBO makes Heathrow a bad place for biz jets. Like the previous poster said, there are better options for the London area. (Like whizzing straight past the holding stack at Heathrow and straight into Farnborough or Biggin)

180 Too Fower
16th Jan 2007, 10:24
I agree with you all, I was once being marshalled onto the Cargo area Stands and had to turn the Aircraft 180 degrees to point out of stand and my wing tips were close to pallets and very distractingly people driving about in vehicles:*

I was then told I was not allowed to start my engines due to the warehouse behind and danger to the personnel behind the Aircraft:ugh: Eventually I was allowed to start but with an army of Marshallers behind the Aircraft.

Heathrow is not geared up for GA and I think they could do without us. Is there any way around the runway slots they give out....if you bust them ATC will let you go, I bust the runway slot once there due to late Pax and a few weeks later our company got a letter banning us for a month or so:\ ....mind you it suits me not to go in there.

Sherry Bobbins
16th Jan 2007, 22:53
Is there any way around the runway slots they give out....if you bust them ATC will let you go, I bust the runway slot once there due to late Pax and a few weeks later our company got a letter banning us for a month or so:\ ....mind you it suits me not to go in there.

Unfortunately, the RWY slot is nothing to do with ATC. So whether you call for start 2 hours before, or 6 hours after your RWY slot time, providing you've got a valid ATC plan in the system, ATC will let you go.

There is no way (that I've found....) of getting round the system. The attitude at Heathrow is (or at least seems to be) either do as we say or don't bother coming at all!

LRdriver II
16th Jan 2007, 23:20
Yea.. but they aint trustworthy either. My company got the same letter once and Heathrow jumped up and down for a while threatening all sorts. It was only when we showed them the atc strip with our landing time in Nice which was the exact same time as our alledged take off from EGLL... oops

ExecJetDriver
17th Jan 2007, 09:40
My issue isn't with the slots, distance from the FBO, etc. At the end of the day Heathrow is one of the world's busiest airports, and these 'inconveniences' are to be expected. I am just amazed every time by the terrible condition of the (lorry!) parking areas.

LGW Vulture
17th Jan 2007, 12:43
Saw a Citation Jet / CJ1 parked there last night - must have cost a small fortune to do that!

Heathrow Warrior
19th Jan 2007, 22:35
One must not forget the customer being the passenger prefers Heathrow due to its convience to one of the largest business cities in the world.

Short taxi times and no stacks and large apron spaces does not help the passenger when he or she is stuck in a traffic jam miles from the city centre.

Do not fall into the trap which many budget airlines have fallen into when the surface travelling time is longer than the actual flying time.

ExecJetDriver
24th Jan 2007, 12:26
One must not forget the customer being the passenger prefers Heathrow due to its convience to one of the largest business cities in the world.

Exactly! Furthermore, our passengers sometimes choose to connect to commerical flights, which means they are 'spoiled for choice' at Heathrow. Now if those pesky cul-de-sac stands weren't such a nightmare! :ugh:

Flintstone
24th Jan 2007, 14:30
I am always pleasantly surprised after leaving an aircraft in the cargo cul de sac overnight not to find it damaged the next morning.

I made the mistake of watching the cargo handlers once. They scream past the wingtips in lorries, forklifts and all sorts at ridiculous speeds. Pallets, crates, bins and boxes get chucked all over the place.

It makes me very nervous:\